shape
carat
color
clarity

Whence this cornflower blue?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Georg

Rough_Rock
Thanks Richard,...
At least we are on the same page!,... I went to visit your website and I must say the ceylon stone I posted actually looks in real life more like the cushion on your web page,... To me that is the color!
No secondary hues!,... It is a shame how bad photograper (me) can screw up a GEM! Everybody please visit Richards web site to see the top color of blue sapphire!

Best regards
George

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 11:30:37 PM
Author: cflutist
Richard, can you post a picture of that ''10''? Would love to see it.
Here''s a 4 ct Kashmir, courtesy of Pala International, that I would rank a 9.5.

kashmir_sapphire_e-cut.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Rich,

WOW
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
, that''s absolutely gorgeous. Now we know what to strive for.

Georg

Rough_Rock
Richard,
I admire your experience We sold it as Sri lankan, it was purchased with parcel from Sri Lanka . From reputable long established source. It had no inclusions with the exception of tini misroscopic crystal under the table so no chracteristic inclusion was found,.. I did send it to AGTA for treatment certiffication and it made it back as no treatments present,...
I know, it does look like Madagascar origin . Especially on this picture,...
Still awesome gem!
George

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Try that again.....

Hey Ana, can you get your flower to post next to the 4 ct Kashmir? I'd like to see how they look next to each other.

Anas_cornfl.jpg.jpg

Georg

Rough_Rock
Awesome Kashmir!,...

This stone is worth pretty penny! ,...
Absolutely rare !,...
Look at the saturation!

George

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
Hey Ana, can you get your flower to post next to the 4 ct Kashmir? I'd like to see how they look next to each other.

Here you go Richard. That stone is astounding. I actually think blue is my first love. I am continually torn between blue and red. And for some reason the purple that only amethyst can do, or should I say violet? Green, on the other hand, does nothing for me, though those chrome tourmalines are pretty amazing.

Anyway, the Kashmir stone and Ana's cornflower look like they were separated at birth.

cornycomparison.jpg

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
I just realized something. Maybe cornflower blue *does* refer to the ultimate Kashmir blue I had always assumed was the creme de la creme for sapphires. Perhaps the problem is simply jewellers using the term too loosely (like I have seen with pigeon''s blood). More specifically, maybe they are getting the hue position, but are a bit off on tone and WAY off on saturation. Most of the "cornflower" blues that I''ve seen have been hard pressed to rank even a "strong" or 5/6 saturation. Many were probably 4''s.

I''m almost glad I moved on to red stones, although they introduce a whole host of other problems (i.e. the public''s perception of them as "pink" instead of red, when the saturation is too low).

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh my Richard, that sapphire does things to me that I can''t describe here. Ohhhh, myyyyy, gooodnessssss.

On another subject, Georg said "I am sure some may not agree with me but the truth is that "Cornflower Blue" is not a gemological term at all,... However It is being used within gem sellers and jewelers as a reference to high or ideal color of Sapphire,..."

And, I want to posit that it''s possible that consumers have an effect on terms for gem color. When I first read raddy''s post, I immediately thought of the cornflower blue I had in my Crayola box when I was a kid and I frequently describe to various sellers(clothes, jewelers) what color I''m looking for by referring to those crayons!

Crayola3.jpg

Georg

Rough_Rock
Here is another "cornflower beauty" Absolutely love this stone!
30.gif

Courtesy of GeoGem.com

Sapphir.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Yummy, yummy, yummy!!!!
18.gif

I could look at these blue sapphires all day long!

widget

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
You guys are so funny. I''ve never had a problem with the term cornflower blue, because I associate cornflowers with an intense, electric blue. I''d bet that most of the pale stones you''ve been seeing are called "cornflower blue" the way some maul jewelers call their yucky diamonds "ideal." It''s important to first find a jeweler who truly understands what you mean by cornflower blue before using that term.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Is this "cornflower" blue?? Bought as a Ceylon Sapphire--my photos (taken inside at night) don''t do the color justice (looks blue naturally, and purple in photos)--but you can see it imperfections and all!

cheers--Sharon

blue1.JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
shamless self-promotion
3.gif

blue2.JPG

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/16/2005 9:56:25 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Is this ''cornflower'' blue?? Bought as a Ceylon Sapphire--my photos (taken inside at night) don''t do the color justice (looks blue naturally, and purple in photos)--but you can see it imperfections and all!

cheers--Sharon
Hey Sharon:

It is hard to tell from the photo and of course lighting will also make a difference and what type of light you view your stone in.

As far as your stone be sold as a Ceylon, Ceylon stones have typically been described as "electric blue". Ceylon stones typically display color zoning when tilted or viewed from the side just as your second photo displays a little washing out of color. Most sapphires are cut with a little extra "Junk in the Trunk" to help bring a premium based on carat weight.

I think you have a unique ring, but based on the photo it doesn''t seem like your stone displays the "cornflower blue" typically seen in other stones.
37.gif

Georg

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the "Bird " Richard !,..
Actually more birds have been reffered to as comparasement of color for high quality sapphire ,..
I remember having a Kashmir sapphire closely resembling the color of Pecocks neck.
Absolutely love that color! It is rich and classy dark but bright.
In my opinion that is the 15 on the scale from 1 to 10
George

peacock.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Let''s not forget other corundum....hot pink, ruby, yellow, etc...mounted in platinum, or course!
2.gif

widget

Annas-Sparks.jpg

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
widget that bird looks like it has been made out of a great enamel job.

Georg

Rough_Rock
So what would the conclusion of this topic be ?,...
I guess "cornfower" is stil not a gemological term but the public loves to use it even they don''t exactly know what the color should look like,...
Flower #1 0r #2 or bird #1 0r #2,...
I senced the girls seemed to like the birds ,...
George

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girls like blue birds I suppose. But just so ya know, the bird Richard posted is an Indigo Bunting -- a whole other blue of a different hue
9.gif

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/17/2005 11:18:48 PM
Author: Matata
Girls like blue birds I suppose. But just so ya know, the bird Richard posted is an Indigo Bunting -- a whole other blue of a different hue
9.gif

Aha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The plot thickens
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, wait, wait....I haven''t gotten to the good part yet. There''s no blue pigment in blue bird feathers!!! It''s the way the light reflects off the feather barbules that makes ''em look blue. Take a blue feather out of the light and its true color is revealed to be grayish brown. Don''t think many of us here would like a grayish brown sapphire.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/17/2005 11:18:48 PM
Author: Matata
9.gif
With girls liking bluebirds so much I know what Regina''s next gift will be instead of a sapphire..
21.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With all the birds and flowers... it just seems that everyone on the planet just knows what spectacular color looks like without any refference at all (you know grades, color refference sets, advertising). ''Guess only the less stryking sapphire needs promotion, the nicer ones just scream out loud for everyone to hear.
12.gif

Georg

Rough_Rock
Great,.. Matata seems to be the most experienced Bird expert ( love the indigo) and Ana cracked it again!,..
We just need to know the color of the screaming Blue color so Josh knows exactly what color will the bird be will be before giving it to Renata,...
11.gif

Georg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/18/2005 1:19:56 AM
Author: Georg

We just need to know the color of the screaming Blue color
There may not a grading scale for blue gems, but just try some pet bird breeders'' or gardeners'' association - those guys face the same thankless hardship of pinning down what''s above and what''s bellow the winning color line
2.gif

I just wonder if the cab driver test (Mogoc mentioned) is not the taughest to beat of all
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results