shape
carat
color
clarity

When your eyes match your stone

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She was incredibly beautiful, those eyes.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought her eyes were violet though, not gray! JAR created violet sapphire earrings for her specifically because they matched her eyes. They were auctioned at Christie’s.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
a00ba578d7962ce57bf5ee2750f25938-e1492214520544.jpg

"Although the deep blue eyes of some people such as Elizabeth Taylor can appear violet at certain times, "true" violet-colored eyes occur only due to albinism."

Huh.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, those eyes, and that sugarloaf sapphy! To die for!
But I think the colors are not quite true, as back in the day, many photos were hand tinted.

I know a man with incredibly bright blue eyes. Everytime I talk with him I am amazed.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, those eyes, and that sugarloaf sapphy! To die for!
But I think the colors are not quite true, as back in the day, many photos were hand tinted.

I know a man with incredibly bright blue eyes. Everytime I talk with him I am amazed.

Oh yes, that’s her sapphire ring! I thought it was a Pearl since the photo makes it appear so gray.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reason for violet eyes in some albinos, not all, is that red blood vessels are more visible In the iris, and when combined with blue colors in the iris, red and blue make violet or purple. Some non-albinos, like Elizabeth Taylor, show more blood vessels in their iris, which can’t account for them looking violet at times.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UpReason for violet eyes in some albinos, not all, is that red blood vessels are more visible In the iris, and when combined with blue colors in the iris, red and blue make violet or purple. Some non-albinos, like Elizabeth Taylor, show more blood vessels in their iris, which can’t account for them looking violet at times.

Great info, TL!
In all the photos, her eyes appear many shades of blue, gray, or violet.
If only we knew her in real life, could we describe the actual color!
68e2efe1954bb693954db78f352f4680.jpg dda36de7ac6e6afc477a297a73559eb7.jpg

Last edited:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great info @TL and @stracci2000

Elizabeth Taylor's eyes seem to color shift quite often. Perhaps the blood flow through those vessels varied enough to be noticeable.

What do you all think the difference is between Purple and Violet? I am thinking colored stones here.

Reactions: T L

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think of purple as amethyst coloured. I think of violet has having a touch of pink with the purple.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think of purple as amethyst coloured. I think of violet has having a touch of pink with the purple.

That's helpful. I definitely think of purple as amethyst colored, at least the darker amethysts.

Violet I'm not sure about...I think it has a bit of blue to it... but your comment about pink has me thinking.

So PURPLE = Blue + Red and VIOLET = Blue + Pink??

I found this other thread where one stone is rejected because it looks purple in the vendor photos but has too much pink in person.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see black (the head), blue (under the eyes), I see ombre (the hair), purple (the neck ruffle) and green(the wings). I see the body of the bird as violet.

Do you see the violet as the "neck ruffle" of the bird or the body of the bird, or the "hair" of the bird?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see black (the head), blue (under the eyes), I see ombre (the hair), purple (the neck ruffle) and green(the wings). I see the body of the bird as violet.

Do you see the violet as the "neck ruffle" of the bird or the body of the bird, or the "hair" of the bird?

Nah, I see different shades of violet. I’m not paying as much attention to the black and green, as I’m pretty sure the overwhelming color in that gorgeous bird is violet!! It’s a tanzanite bird!!! Lol!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Brazilian material is very purple, some African material can color shift to shades of violet and purple! Love those stones that go more violet!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, I see different shades of violet. I’m not paying as much attention to the black and green, as I’m pretty sure the overwhelming color in that gorgeous bird is violet!! It’s a tanzanite bird!!! Lol!

WOW I totally see the blue (under the eyes) and the purple (neck ruff). No wonder us CS lovers have so much trouble finding the perfect stone color, we all see things a bit differently!

voce

Ideal_Rock
WOW I totally see the blue (under the eyes) and the purple (neck ruff). No wonder us CS lovers have so much trouble finding the perfect stone color, we all see things a bit differently!

I love the colors this bird exhibits.

I see the "forehead" as cobalt blue, the area above the beak and the "cheeks" shading to periwinkle blue, the "hair" as violet, the neck ruff as straight purple, and the body color as a violet along the black intensifying into "ultraviolet" where the wings are. Words are often inadequate descriptors for color!

I love the cobalt blue and the "ultraviolet" colors the most.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the forehead plumage colour graduation!

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Transparent gems are also three dimensional object with color nuances depending on how the light is hitting them. They’re often not flat in color, like an opaque one color cabochon for example.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that's one adorable bird!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results