color
clarity

When you upgrade do you...?

M

MTHealthyLiving

Keep the old rings?
Use the old rings to make a new?
Reset old rings adding new stones?

So far I’ve kept everything but my engagement ring (it wasn’t super sentimental as I picked it myself), but am just curious as I’m sure I’ll be adding to my diamond/yogo sapphire ring collection in the future.
I’m super sentimental about the rings that I still have and don’t want to get rid of them, but might consider using the stones to reset.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a 3 stone ring with side sapphires as my original ering. I also had 2 contoured diamond bands that I wore with it. When I upgraded my ering, I had the center stone set in a pendant, the sapphires set in a bangle, and I repurposed the melee for a halo in a gemstone rhr. Lol, I totally lie to myself that I didn't really get anything new!!! ;-)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I upgraded to my 2.79 F-VS1 CBI diamond I didn't trade in my old cut to order 2.21 F-SI1 CBI diamond, but rather just bought the new one. Then I had two very similar RHRs. So I bought two more CBI diamonds .53s F-VS1 and VS2 as side stones and am currently having a 3-stone ring made.
Well I wasn't going to waste a perfectly good Vatche Serenity Pave setting, so it will be set with a CZ and I could use it as a travel ring.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
When I upgraded the first time I had the diamond from my old ring made into a pendant with smaller diamonds around it. The second time around I just moved my 3-stone ring over to my other hand to wear as a right hand ring.

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock
I am about to upgrade my emerald to a round and I am probably going to sell it because so I have a bigger budget towards the new. I would prefer to keep and make into a necklace.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I traded in my original stone for my upgraded one but I wish I could've kept it and made it into a necklace or earrings! The cost would've been too much though and I wouldn't have been able to get the over 3ct I wanted! I was able to reuse the setting, which I was happy and sentimental about.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep the old rings?
Use the old rings to make a new?
Reset old rings adding new stones?

So far I’ve kept everything but my engagement ring (it wasn’t super sentimental as I picked it myself), but am just curious as I’m sure I’ll be adding to my diamond/yogo sapphire ring collection in the future.
I’m super sentimental about the rings that I still have and don’t want to get rid of them, but might consider using the stones to reset.

Sometimes if the stones are small, its somewhat cost prohibitive to have them remounted. You end up paying more than if you had just bought the
setting new with stones already in it because they have to unmount your stones and remount them into the new setting. I'm talking melee size stones.
Of course if they are sentimental (came out of your Grandma's ring or something like that) then it may be worth paying more to keep them.

What size stones are you talking about reusing?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original diamond is in a Necklace.

M

MTHealthyLiving

1E2A4CC1-995C-4B17-A7C4-EBBBB571ACE5.png
Sometimes if the stones are small, its somewhat cost prohibitive to have them remounted. You end up paying more than if you had just bought the
setting new with stones already in it because they have to unmount your stones and remount them into the new setting. I'm talking melee size stones.
Of course if they are sentimental (came out of your Grandma's ring or something like that) then it may be worth paying more to keep them.

What size stones are you talking about reusing?

The very first ring at the top of the stack (yogo sapphire and diamond, looks like an engagement ring), I’m not in love with the setting. I don’t even know what that weird round setting is called. Lol! I’d like to change that as I think it’s a bit flimsy. I wonder if I can be put into a different setting without really changing the ring...

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I was lucky enough to get to keep my original engagement and wedding rings intact when we upgraded. I still wear them as a work/travel/sketchy place set. The new one is a bit showy for such stuff. I was planning on selling my 2 ctw studs when I got my new 3.6 ctw studs. But I found I still wear them in the same situations as my original engagement ring. So will keep for now. Maybe dear daughter will get them when she's older.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kept the old one and made it into a stud. Wish I could have traded it in, but DH was sentimental about it. Compromised and got half a pair of earrings.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've traded in my stone each time. As for the settings, I sold one (excellent condition) for about 40% of the price paid. The second setting was reused for the 2nd upgrade by switching out the head.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I upgraded my eternity, I traded in the old one to keep to budget. Same with studs. Also, I tend to wear same things all the time so didn't want old ones just sitting in the safe. If I ever upgrade my current solitaire, I will need to think about whether I can reuse it as a pendant or stud because I really like the stone. It has a sparkling personality that I enjoy having around.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm pondering this myself. I recently bought an AVR. She's the same size as my original diamond but a completely different kind of beautiful. The old diamond is a gorgeous antique lace color L, the new is a J but so bright. Right now she's in a temporary setting while I decide what to do. IMG_3384.JPG IMG_3030.JPG

I can't talk myself into selling the original because I really, really love it and it represents this wonderful life I'm sharing with my dream man. I can't bring myself to re-Set the new diamond in my old setting because Im not sure the setting suits the new diamond. I can't really afford a new setting without selling the old. I don't need two diamonds of similar size either and I already have a really nice travel/casual set.

This is a complete first world problem and I'm glad I have PS and others with the same problem. (Although I feel it's far more of a blessing than a problem)

(1st pic - new diamond, second pic - old set - don't know why they posted where they did)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results