shape
carat
color
clarity

when you first became a member on PS....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 12:27:48 AM
Author:Dancing Fire
did you feel uncomfortable as a newbie ?
I still kinda am a newbie, but I already feel welcomed here at PS.
35.gif

I really like how PS is filled with people and forums geared towards helping each other. Everyone, for the most part, has good intentions.
I lurked for a very long time before finally posting and I am so glad I did because you all helped me tremendously.
What would I have done without your advice? I''m very grateful
28.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2009 11:14:43 AM
Author: Mara
ahh Kaleigh those good old days back in ''04. spit n''vinegar!
3.gif

when i joined it was a really tiny community. my first few posts were asking for advice on an OEC. once i went back and found them just for kicks. i also lurked a fair amt because the forums were not ''chatty'' like today. there were only a few posts a day total. there were a few of us who were in same stages of life and we became pals. today, PS overall is an extremely welcoming place, if you take it at face value...as with any online community it''s not all roses all the time.

the one thing that is so impressive about PS given other online communities is the wealth of knowledge that resides here. whether or not you like someone doesn''t make a difference if they are imparting information that is relevant to you and your life and can be useful. it is almost like an informal about.com IMO, which is ironic, because that is the vision that Leonid had for it so many years ago.
5.gif
and i just love that there are a few of the oldies still around...it surely wouldn''t be PS without them.
Mara, would you know when Pricescope began?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
gemgirl, it looks like the forum was ''started'' on 1/1/2000 12:00:00 AM (according to the first member ID created!)...

from what i recall on history, it was very slow with only a few trade members for almost a year or more? i think in 2002 is when it started to pick up.

when i got here there were not that many ''regular'' members and maybe a handful of posts a day. i lurked for a few months before my first posting too. hehee.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I joined up back in August on the suggestion of a friend who is a frequent PS poster. She knew I was suffering from severe LIW-itis, and knew I''d find a lot of ladies in my same situation over in LIW. I immediately felt welcome over there and started participating, and frequently drop in on BWW (I''m a hobby wedding planner right now, helping my friends when and where I can, so it''s a great place to get ideas...perhaps one day I''ll have the guts to make it a full time deal) and the Proposal Ideas forums. I just started posting over here in Hangout with the idea of getting to know the ladies and gents behind PS a little better, and I''ve felt welcome so far!!!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Not in the BWW section, but in the other sections for a while.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I've been around a long time, too... and when I first found PS I dived right in, but never strayed too far from RT or SMTR. There was just SO MUCH to learn and I wanted to soak it all up like a sponge.

Eventually I *found* Hangout, with all it's fascinating and diverse threads (not to mention all the other cat crazeeee folks
2.gif
there!) and the other subforums.

As well as educational, I have always found PS to be very welcoming; and no, I never felt shy or uncomfortable.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
11/6/2009 5:56:08 PM
Author: Mara

gemgirl, it looks like the forum was ''started'' on 1/1/2000 12:00:00 AM (according to the first member ID created!)...

from what i recall on history, it was very slow with only a few trade members for almost a year or more? i think in 2002 is when it started to pick up.

I think that besides Leonid and Irina, who may not want to post here anymore, there are some other people who could shed some light on the earliest days. I am fairly sure that two current posters, Garry Holloway and Lawmax, were around from the very beginning...or darn close to it!

AGBF
34.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Not really. I did lurk for a while, then when I started posting, it was mostly just on SMTR, telling people how lovely their rings were. As I learned a bit more about diamonds and jewelry, and got to know how things work here, I ventured more and more personal kinds of posts.
41.gif

I love it here!
36.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2009 8:21:01 AM
Author: Tuckins1
Not really. I did lurk for a while, then when I started posting, it was mostly just on SMTR, telling people how lovely their rings were. As I learned a bit more about diamonds and jewelry, and got to know how things work here, I ventured more and more personal kinds of posts.
41.gif

I love it here!
36.gif
ETA oops wrong thread!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
When I first joined I jumped right in. I didn''t do any lurking. I saw a place to ask questions and I started. I did feel a little lost though with all the abbreviatioins. I remember thinking what the heck is a DH?

I have been here for a little over a year now and I still get uncomfortable sometimes though because people that have been here for a long time will be having a conversation and I fill a little weird about chiming in. I think mostly because I know that these people have put there time in and have tons more knowledge than I do. Or when everyone disagrees with me, respectfully though. I just get embarassed. That being said this is the best online community I have ever seen. Alot of places are snarky and catty, but everyone here loves helping someone out. Or just being there for another member even when it has nothing to do with diamonds.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lurked for a year before I signed up and started posting. Even though the group was small then and friendly, I had nothing to contribute. Every one was so knowledgeable that it felt somewhat intimidating.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those of us who posted in the LIW thread sort of found each other, and asked to have our own forum. I felt pretty at home because FINALLY, I found a group of women who were in the same place in their lives and could RELATE!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I did feel uncomfortable when I first joined PS. Once I started posting, it became much easier. I''m on here every day and I love tihs place
13.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 12:27:48 AM
Author:Dancing Fire
when you first became a member on PS....

did you feel uncomfortable as a newbie ?
Slightly.

When I was new, I interpreted the "do a search" posts as "stop asking stupid questions, newbie." Which is silly, because the majority of the time that's not how it's intended. That was where most of my uncomfortableness came from, on top of a few less-than-friendly queen bee types. I don't notice it anymore.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I still feel a little behind sometimes, but that''s my own fault because I do so much more lurking than posting. I feel like there are a handful of posters who know who I am, but for the most part, the amount of time I''ve been a PSer doesn''t count for a whole lot because I know who everyone else is a great deal more than they know anything about me. Did that make any sense? Probably not, haha! I''ve also had to watch my mouth because my sense of humor tends to be sarcastic, but that doesn''t translate well online, so I''ve had once or twice where someone was miffed with me without my having meant to offend.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Doodle!
35.gif
Good to see you again!

I lurked for a while before I joined, and I guess I was a little hesitant at first to ask a question or start a thread. I had never joined an online forum before, so I didn''t really know what to expect. I know I''ve asked a few really dumb questions, especially at the very beginning.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Started out as a LIW and wasn''t shy- but definitely felt uncomfortable in other forums, mostly because my diamond knowledge isn''t substantial.

Even so, by lurking and occasionally posting I have learned oh oh OH so much!

I''ve branched out some since joining and can''t wait to start a fun project
11.gif
... Then I can look like a newb all over again, asking silly questions about colored stones!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never felt intimidated or nervous. People were very warm and welcoming to me.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
What I always thought was amazing was finding the world's foremost experts chiming in answering questions from newbies, like me! I remember when Dave Atlas talked to me about old cut diamonds and Richard Wise commented on a gemstone question. What a rare opportunity!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I thnk for the most part I was ok. I mostly stuck to LIW and SMTR threads and then ventured out. I was nervous at first but it evened out. I got my bearings and I got my butt handed to me a few times as well.....

I think its a great place though...

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
I was shy my first month and then I dove right in!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2009 7:47:00 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I never felt intimidated or nervous. People were very warm and welcoming to me.

Same here Tacori.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results