shape
carat
color
clarity

when you first became a member on PS....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Posting in LIW wasn''t so bad, but everytime I moved into a new "area", where there were lots of regulars already, I would get that weird feeling again.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, good topic DF! That''s kind of shocking coming from you!
11.gif
3.gif

I was a little shy/uncomfortable at first. It did seem like several posters totally ignored me, actually. But I don''t get my feelings hurt too easily so I didn''t care that much! I never thought I''d get as into PS as I did. I''m less into it these days but I still like to read and post so it appears I''m not going anywhere!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started searching for diamonds and rings back in Feb 2007 and everytime I googled, kept bringing me to PS, then I started learning more and more in RT, but one of my very first post was in SMTR under another username (forgot what my password was and forgot the username really) then I finally joined in October 2008 as I started to work with a PS vendor, and posted in SMTR again of my upgrade. I was feeling very intimated, and just felt like most everyone knew each other already. I stayed, and well here I am now just chatting with you all and love every minute of it even if I sound silly! THanks to PS it is one of my favorite hobby.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 9:13:34 AM
Author: princesss
Not uncomfortable. A little shy. Everybody seemed to know each other SO well, but eventually I started adding my voice to the fray and as I got to know more people it seemed less like chaos and more like going out to dinner with a bunch of smart, funny, boisterous friends.

I still feel like a total newbie in RT. I can pipe up sometimes when people ask for subjective opinions (do you like cut X or Y better?), but I leave it to the prosumers to answer technical stuff. I love the discussions over there about the theory behind light performance and cut and wavelengths, though. They''re fascinating! I don''t always totally understand them, but it''s like the most interesting science class I''ve ever been in.

Ditto this. It''s funny, though, because you start posting and all of the sudden you know people on here so well and it''s probably intimidating to new new people.

People made me feel totally welcome, though!

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
i was definitely intimidated by a few people, but now that i''m more familiar with everyone i can''t believe that i was ever shy around them

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t remember feeling uncomfortable as a newbie. I kind of just jumped right in. I remember getting called out a couple of times by longer-standing members but no one was nasty or condescending.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I felt awkward. I still do sometimes-I''m just an awkward person I guess. I only lurked off and on for about a month before joining and posting. I mean well, but sometimes I feel like a dork!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 10:44:34 AM
Author: monarch64
I don''t remember feeling uncomfortable as a newbie. I kind of just jumped right in. I remember getting called out a couple of times by longer-standing members but no one was nasty or condescending.

I got called out a few times, too. And I used to be super-offended by the members that have a sarcastic tone to their posts, like they were just being jerks.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 11:01:41 AM
Author: packrat
I felt awkward. I still do sometimes-I''m just an awkward person I guess. I only lurked off and on for about a month before joining and posting. I mean well, but sometimes I feel like a dork!
Haha, ditto packrat! I tend to open up to people after I know them a bit better, but I can be a little shy or awkward at first. Mostly I didn''t want to offend anyone and still don''t!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ahh Kaleigh those good old days back in '04. spit n'vinegar!
3.gif

when i joined it was a really tiny community. my first few posts were asking for advice on an OEC. once i went back and found them just for kicks. i also lurked a fair amt because the forums were not 'chatty' like today. there were only a few posts a day total. there were a few of us who were in same stages of life and we became pals. today, PS overall is an extremely welcoming place, if you take it at face value...as with any online community it's not all roses all the time.

the one thing that is so impressive about PS given other online communities is the wealth of knowledge that resides here. whether or not you like someone doesn't make a difference if they are imparting information that is relevant to you and your life and can be useful. it is almost like an informal about.com IMO, which is ironic, because that is the vision that Leonid had for it so many years ago.
5.gif
and i just love that there are a few of the oldies still around...it surely wouldn't be PS without them.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 11:14:43 AM
Author: Mara
ahh Kaleigh those good old days back in ''04. spit n''vinegar!
3.gif

when i joined it was a really tiny community. my first few posts were asking for advice on an OEC. once i went back and found them just for kicks. i also lurked a fair amt because the forums were not ''chatty'' like today. there were only a few posts a day total. there were a few of us who were in same stages of life and we became pals. today, PS overall is an extremely welcoming place, if you take it at face value...as with any online community it''s not all roses all the time.

the one thing that is so impressive about PS given other online communities is the wealth of knowledge that resides here. whether or not you like someone doesn''t make a difference if they are imparting information that is relevant to you and your life and can be useful. it is almost like an informal about.com IMO, which is ironic, because that is the vision that Leonid had for it so many years ago.
5.gif
and i just love that there are a few of the oldies still around...it surely wouldn''t be PS without them.
I think you hit the nail on the head for me, Mara. Whatever somebody''s personal feelings are about another poster, when that person needs help nobody sits back and says, "Well, I could help, but I really don''t like so-and-so." Everybody pitches in whatever they know that could help. Helping each other, whether it be about diamonds, settings, strollers, interview tips, etc., is what we do. And DANG, we do it well!

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 8:21:03 AM
Author: geckodani
Uncomfortable? No. Awkward and clueless? Yup.
9.gif
Yup, again!

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
slightly uncomfortable. I still have my moments when I don''t feel like I fit in (but then again, I am still fairly new). I lurk daily but post maybe once or twice a week. I just love the interaction/witty banter/drama
20.gif
/advice that PSers have to offer. Great community!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I like PS because there are SO many topics discussed, besides jewelry! It''s interesting to ''meet'' people outside of your own circle of friends and acquaintances, people whose differing POV you may not hear otherwise in daily life. Gives one a broader view of certain topics...which is really cool. But yeah, I still feel awkward sometimes too, but not unwelcome!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never felt uncomfortable because I was a newbie, but I did feel strange posting info and questions online because I had never been a part of any online forums before (or since!) and it was surprising to me that people seemed to be friends with each other on here. I found PS as an LIW and here I am, married and still jabbering away, so I obviously got over that initial feeling!

I still feel like a newbie in terms of developing an identity on here and being super familiar with everyone. I have a really hard time remembering details about posters until I've seen them on here repeatedly and at length, so I often feel like I have memory loss while I'm posting on here. I have to interact with or read posts from someone for a long time before I'll remember identifying details about them. It's frustrating at times, and there are still a few members who I *always* confuse with one another, for no apparent reason at all. (e.g. I commonly mistake MonkeyPie and Trillionaire for each other, no clue why.)

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...a little bit. I feel like it was a little cliquey back then, there were some in-jokes and stuff. I think that has gotten a lot less now. But mostly I felt comfortable and welcomed. This is such a great community! It's my first and only forum!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
PS is, on the average, very welcoming to its newer members. You know - - until we get to KNOW them. Then, all bets are off.
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2009 10:21:40 AM
Author: thing2of2
Ha, good topic DF! That's kind of shocking coming from you!
11.gif
3.gif

I was a little shy/uncomfortable at first. It did seem like several posters totally ignored me, actually. But I don't get my feelings hurt too easily so I didn't care that much! I never thought I'd get as into PS as I did. I'm less into it these days but I still like to read and post so it appears I'm not going anywhere!
thing
you shy?? you mean on political issues? LOL!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lurked for YEARS before I posted, mainly because some people were very offensive to each other. They seem to be gone and everyone seems much happier. By the time I posted we were all in happy mode.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it interesting that so many people are more comfortable in LIW or BWW, I''m definitely the opposite. The idea of putting personal information on the internet still worries me - esp. since this forum is so big, the person I had a fight with could be reading my post!

I''m completely, utterly paranoid about too much personal info getting onto the net, though - I don''t even have a Facebook account, so...

SMTR is definitely my favourite forum
30.gif
- followed closely by RT, I''m still surprised at how much science there is in diamond-cutting! The archived threads with long arguments between the experts are some of my favourites.

It really is amazing how much knowledge there is in this community, and how despite that, it remains a community in every sense of the word. I could search for hours through books and Google and never find some of the gems of info that are buried here, just because they''re coming straight from the mouths of people who''ve loved and worked with, cut, imaged, and photographed diamonds for years. And despite that (yes, that thought was - is - definitely intimidating!) if I''ve had an awful day I can come here to commiserate and expect lots of hugs and great ideas on what to do next.

PS really is a special place
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, I''m the type to always jump right into new forums. Usually I''ll post the first day I find a site.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
A bit- at first all the abreviations took a while to understand and everyone here just knows each other so well I felt like a bit of an outsider.....

Still kinda do but that''s the way I am I guess

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
A bit- at first all the abreviations took a while to understand and everyone here just knows each other so well I felt like a bit of an outsider.....

Still kinda do but that's the way I am I guess
hehe I can so relate to that in the beginning! I never belonged to a forum before and I didn't know I had to read the threads so I learned as I went. lol Also, we all post so I thought it sounded like we talked at each other rather then to each other so that took me awhile to get use to! hehe

The people like Belle, Ellen, Kaleigh, Karl (aka Storm), Lorelei, Kcoursolle,Diamondfan and so many others were so welcoming so that kept me around!!! Also our admin and mod are awesome! I enjoy sticking around PS; this is a good group!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little. I began as a LIW and had NO clue about diamonds. Everyone on LIW was pretty friendly.

Now I know a ton about diamonds and love to read and post in Rocky Talky.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 1:42:45 PM
Author: Haven
I never felt uncomfortable because I was a newbie, but I did feel strange posting info and questions online because I had never been a part of any online forums before (or since!) and it was surprising to me that people seemed to be friends with each other on here. I found PS as an LIW and here I am, married and still jabbering away, so I obviously got over that initial feeling!

Ditto. I still feel a little uncomfortable on Hangout, because I went through what is probably the regular PS transition initially spending time in LIW --> then BWW --> then exploring the rest of the site. I do have to say that I only truly felt like a true PSer after getting a WW thread. (So, thanks, princessplease).

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I admit that I was intimidated by PS as a newbie. It seemed like everyone else knew each other. And some threads were tough! It was like a feeding frenzy for some clueless posters (though entertaining for me..hehee..) I lurked for over a year before I first posted in 2005. Even with that, I only posted once in a while.

One thing I notice about PS is: you get what you put in. I noticed that the more I contributed to the threads, the more I felt a part of the PS community.

There are so many wonderful people on here, and I can''t imagine any other place that I can share my passion for diamonds with.
1.gif

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
I do. Especially when posting ring pictures...I assume people will be uber-critical.
33.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 9:04:32 PM
Author: fsu1227
I do. Especially when posting ring pictures...I assume people will be uber-critical.
33.gif
I remember being afraid to post pics of my original e-ring for fear of it being called "frozen spit" or "poor performer".

But the comments turned out to be very sweet and positive.
36.gif

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I found PS when I was a LIW looking for advice about diamonds. I lurked daily on PS while I was a LIW, when I got engaged, while I planned my wedding, while I got married, and only a few months after I got married did I FINALLY join and start posting! So yes - I definitely was intimidated at first and didn't know how to begin posting.

Now that I've been posting for a little while I definitely feel a little more comfortable than I did at the beginning, but even now I often feel like nobody really knows me and very often I still feel like a "new kid" on the board even though there are others who are newer
3.gif
Maybe one day that feeling will go away... but either way I'll keep posting and reading because I really love this community.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found PS while doing research on the ASG0 diamond I bought. I wanted to make sure I would not regret my purchase down the road. When searching for info on diamonds it kept bringing me here. I have such a passion for gemstones but wasn''t very familiar with diamonds until then. I started lurking and finally decided to join. At first I was a bit uneasy and I didn''t understand the abbreviations but I am glad I stuck around. It is a great community full of wonderful and knowledgeable people.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results