shape
carat
color
clarity

When you and your SO leave the house...

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
...to go to the exact same place, do both of you bring keys, wallets, phones, etc.?

I was brought up in a family where only one of us brings these things along. I guess we figured that we're all going to the same place so what's the point of carrying a zillion things with us. We sort of learned to rely on each other.

FH was brought up in a family that does the exact opposite. They all bring everything regardless of the fact that they're going to the same place. I guess they worry about being separated while they're out, or something.

FH and I have had many arguments over the fact that we would leave the house and I wouldn't bring these things along. After a while I got tired of fighting, so I just lug my purse EVERYWHERE, even if we're walking to the store which is 2 mins away, or we're moving the car from outside our place to the parking garage (1 minute drive away), etc.

What do you do?

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
We sort of go half and half--sometimes we both have stuff but if not it's no big deal.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
We tend to both bring stuff. I have my purse and keys etc in my handbag and I like bringing my handbag everywhere and DH usually has his things in his pockets so we just tend to bring them. I hadn't actually thought about it at all before though.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
We usually both bring stuff unless we're going to the beach or hiking because I would leave my purse, wallet, keys etc. in the trunk for something like that anyway.

ETA: I'm not sure how it works in the US, but in Canada you need a Health Card to get medical attention (well you don't need it, but there is a lot less paperwork if you have it), so I would feel uncomfortable leaving the house without my wallet and health card.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ladypirate|1310742646|2969648 said:
We sort of go half and half--sometimes we both have stuff but if not it's no big deal.

Pretty much this.

The exception is that he ALWAYS brings his wallet and I ALWAYS bring my driver's license (just in a pocket) regardless of where we are going.

Oh.... and after FI's unfortunate experience of the door shutting and him getting locked out of the house in his bathrobe we always make sure at least one of us has keys even if we are just working in the yard and the door is "unlocked"

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
We both bring keys and wallets. DH doesn't have a cell phone, and I usually bring mine but don't always. I think it comes from both of us having lived on our own for a significant amount of time before we were together, so we each got into the habit of bringing these things and feel sort of naked without them. We sometimes end up going different places on the way home, too, so its good to both have keys (for example, I might stop by the pharmacy while he runs to the bank, or something like that). Plus, I think it's a really bad idea to be out without some kind of ID, and if I take my license out of my wallet, I'm apt to lose it, and if I'm bringing my wallet I need my purse, so why not throw in the keys if I'm taking it anyway...

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am paranoid of getting myself lock out, so any doors that does not need a key to lock it, I will carry one in my keypouch and one on my key chain tied to my belt buckle. My SO thinks I am over paranoid. She usually do not carry anything except her id when she goes out with me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
We usually both bring all of our things. Once in awhile, I'll forget my phone or something, but it kind of drives me crazy. I guess I just like for both of us to bring our things, because you never know what might happen. Also, if one of us leaves something at home by accident, the other will have theirs.

The only exception is if we're going to a place where I don't want to lug around my purse.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
We both bring stuff, unless we are dressed for a formal event when we will travel light.

Its not unusual for us to leave for a particular place, then each of us goes off somewhere else. We are both doing a million things everyday (my down time is PS via iPhone on a train like right now!)

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Normally I keep my keys and wallet together, so I'll bring those. I'm paranoid about not having ID or health insurance card. Sometimes I won't have my phone, but I do try to remember bringing that.

If I go to a wedding or a special occasion, I just bring my ID, credit card and health insurance (and make up). Everything else I leave behind and rely on my DH.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
We usually each have our cell phone and purse/wallet, but only take one set of keys.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I take nothing, and I love it! If I don't have a pocket loose enough, DH keeps my lip gloss in his. I love the feeling of not having to carry a bag, so I take full advantage of DH's pockets whenever I can.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always say the same thing to my husband as we're leaving our house: "Keys, wallet, phone?" to make sure he has everything he'll/we'll need while we're out. I always carry my phone and wallet, but I don't always bring my keys with me. If we're not taking my car, I guess I don't see the point.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Pretty much anytime I think "Oh, I don't need X" I end up wishing I had it- getting locked out because I forget I don't have my keys and DH drops me off, or whatever. So yeah, I lug my purse around everywhere. Anyway, he's spacier with his stuff than I am (! and that's difficult) so if I leave my purse at home, guaranteed he's forgotten his card or something.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
He always asks me, "do you have your keys?" and I say "no, you're driving." He gets annoyed though if we need to run back to the house really quickly to drop something off or pick something up and he has to turn the car all the way off to give me his keys so I can get the house key off his keychain and enter the house

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Most of the time we both bring our own keys, wallets, cellphones. Sometimes we get separated at a Mall or Disneyland, and need phones to get a hold of each other.

On occasion, he'll leave his keys and wallet at home when the whole family is going out to dinner, and I'm driving/paying.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I make sure that I have everything before I leave. Sometimes hubby forget's his wallet or I.D. It sometimes bother's me if he doesn't at least have his I. D. If I don't have everything, I feel like I'm missing something.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I usually carry my keys, phone and wallet when I go out, just in a pocket. I also have a couple of purses, but I only take them if I need to have more stuff with me. I never really think about what DH has / hasn't got, I lived on my own long enough for the need to take keys to be ingrained in me.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I always carry my wallet and so does DH. We don't need house keys as we have a keyless entry system.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
We carry both our phones, for obvious reasons - we get calls from different people.

Keys - sometimes we'll carry both, sometimes just one.

Wallets/purses - we carry both. I like having my own money/cards in case I see something I specifically want to buy, and sometimes we need to supplement each other's cash.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
If I'm going out with FI, I don't bring anything. He always has my extra ID in his wallet, and I don't know what else I would need if we are spending the entire night together. It's just easier this way since I prefer not to bring a handbag if possible.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
I ALWAYS take my keys with me wherever I go because I am paranoid about getting locked out. I would find it more confusing to only occasionally take my keys with me... since we both always take keys/wallet when we leave the house it's a very ingrained habit so neither of us will ever have a situation where we walk out of the house having assumed the other person has the keys...

purselover

Ideal_Rock
99% of the time we both take everything, once in a blue moon if we're just running out for ice cream or something I'll leave my stuff- but I always double check that he has his wallet and keys and I'll tell him I'm not bringing anything.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
My DH always has his keys and wallets with him, regardless he is with me or not.

I bring my purse with me 99% of the time. Occasionally on weekends I leave my heavy purse at home, but that happens only when we are doing a very short trip to the pet store nearby (or something like that), or when we are going hiking.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
We both bring everything. I need my phone so I can call him if we get separated in the store, I can tell him where to find me.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
only one of us brings keys.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
My husband usually carries the keys and the wallet. I don't bring a phone anymore because I'm realizing that I'm much happier not being interrupted in my quality time.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We both bring our own keys, wallet, etc. There is always the off chance we'll split up with friends, or whatever. We both have the code to the garage door, so we essentially don't need both sets of keys...but you never know, I guess? We like to both be prepared. OP: We were both like this growing up, parents going same places bringing along two sets of everything, if that is consoling. I can understand your dilemma, though.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1310746538|2969700 said:

+1
+2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results