shape
carat
color
clarity

When the ring is not round

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karencluff

Rough_Rock
So - I am having a ring custom made and the jeweler does a style of ring that is not round all the way around the finger, but is flat on the bottom to keep it from slipping.

I thought it was strange and wondered how comfortable it would be but when I tried it on, I could not even tell the difference! It fit perfectly in the folds of my finger.

Has anyone seen rings like this? Is there a specific name for it?

Here is a post to his website with an example.

Check it out

squareband2222.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
IIRC, it''s called a Euro Shank and supposedly it is very comfy because the straight bottom edge fits more comfortably on the bottom of your ring finger though I''ve never tried one on.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ditto, it''s the euro - and it''s WONDERFUL. My e-ring is a euro (my w-band is not, but surprisingly, I don''t have an issue with it). I really wish more ring designers did it. It''s really really comfy to wear and turns less.
Love it love it. :)

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about a specific name for the style; but A. Jaffe does their rings in the same method.

While I don''t care for the look of it, I bet I''d appreciate a ring like that during cold winter days, or today -- since the AC seems to be set at freezing here! My rings are just spinning ''round and ''round.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isn''t that called a European shank???? Most likely I am wrong. tee hee.

Holly: I hate my rings spinning. Drives me nuts!!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
It''s a Euroshank and my original e-ring had one. I got into the habit of feeling for the bottom corner of the shank with my thumb (reaching across my palm with the thumb on the same hand), and straightening up the diamond. It got to be pretty automatic. After years of doing this, the corner was getting a bit rounded. Anyhow, it works great and is perfectly comfortable.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Haha, Fly Girl, I was going to say something about turning my ring with my thumb and then I deleted it. It does get to be like a reflex!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Euroshank and it is very comfortable and the ring never shifts to the side.
The stone stays perfectly in the middle of my finger I love it!

karencluff

Rough_Rock
Euro Shank. Thanks for the information! Now I can have a proper name for the description.

I was really amazed at how comfortable it was when I tried it. Can''t wait till its on my finger!!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
called euro shank mostly today,but in some areas and by the old school like myself you may here them called squared shanks or flat backs.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 4:58:02 PM
Author: Elmorton
Haha, Fly Girl, I was going to say something about turning my ring with my thumb and then I deleted it. It does get to be like a reflex!
Hee hee - I do this with my thumb and pinky - my ring sits crooked on my finger half the time because I reposition it with my pinky, LOL!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love my euroshank. any ring with a design such as yours with some weight on the top benefits from a euroshank. after a lot of wear, many rings don''t remain round anyway. the euroshank on this rink really gives the design balance. its a great design!

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results