shape
carat
color
clarity

When jewelry shopping, how important is it to you that it be a good deal?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Agree with most of what has been previously said. I would add that as counterintuitive as it seems, if you are young and/or new to jewelry buying, you might save money in the long term if you spend a little on fashion jewelry in the short term. That way you get an idea of what you really like and don’t spend $$$ on things people say are “must haves” that you would never really wear.

Personal example: Always thought I wanted an eternity band with a high ctw. Turns out I find eternity bands uncomfortable. That realization probably saved me enough money to cover the cost of several pieces that I truly love.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I like deals and bargains as much as the next person, but mostly I never find them bc someone else has beaten me to it! Truth be told I don't actively search for them.

I agree with others who speak of receiving a fair price and for me that is where buying Estate/consignment comes in: bc "fair pricing" never going to happen at brand retail shops and I'm ok with that (cuz I want that product). KWIM?

cheers--Sharon

uwodahikamama

Rough_Rock
I’ve thought about this too. Getting a good deal is more likely to get me to spend my money on it, if I like it.
However a fair price is all I really ask. If it’s a fair price and I really like it I’ll buy it, even if it’s not a “good deal”.
Though along these lines I’ve struggled with spending large amounts on jewelry. I feel guilt around spending thousands on something people consider “frivolous” and I guess that’s probably something I need to unpack. :(2
Funny thing though, I started out with a budget of $1400 for a pearl necklace, then upped it to $1800, then $3000, and now recently I upgraded to a necklace and earring set for $7,000 :lol: So I guess I’m making progress?? This is something I’ve been thinking about lately though.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What Charlie Munger said to Warren Buffett in 1965, as quoted by the latter in the just-released B/H annual report:

"...now that you control Berkshire, add to it wonderful businesses purchased at fair prices and give up buying fair businesses at wonderful prices..."

A little more compelling for investments than for tangible goods but there is a lot of wisdom there.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
What Charlie Munger said to Warren Buffett in 1965, as quoted by the latter in the just-released B/H annual report:

"...now that you control Berkshire, add to it wonderful businesses purchased at fair prices and give up buying fair businesses at wonderful prices..."

A little more compelling for investments than for tangible goods but there is a lot of wisdom there.

Yes!

Another favourite quote of mine from Charlie Munger: “I think when you're buying jewelry for the woman you love, financial consideration probably shouldn't enter into it.” :twisted2:

(RIP sir)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personal example: Always thought I wanted an eternity band with a high ctw. Turns out I find eternity bands uncomfortable. That realization probably saved me enough money to cover the cost of several pieces that I truly love.

I stopped putting diamonds on the shank of my rings!!!! By golly they make me itch! Don’t know why I kept doing it!!!! It was a revelation when I decided to stop one day!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The answer to this is going to partly depend on what stage one is at in life. If I was young and struggling a deal would be way more critical for me than it is now. However even at this stage of my life I do not want to get "ripped off" if you kwim. So while I do not need to score a screaming deal I need to get a fair price.

The most important thing to me is
1. I am getting what my heart and brain desire
2. I am getting a fair price
Because, and this is important....A deal is only a deal if you are getting exactly what you want

I am more focused on am I going to enjoy and love wearing it for a long time and will it satiate my desire. And as long as the price seems fair to me I am happy.

People need to earn a living and if they are not obscenely marking up the price I am good with it. I see it from both points of view and everyone deserves to be compensated for their time and energy. And I like to support small businesses too so it's a win win when I purchase from the bling people whose inventory I love.

Do I like a sale? Hell yes. But that is not the most important factor for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results