shape
carat
color
clarity

When is the best time to buy a ring?

NineEyedCyclops

Rough_Rock
I know that many sellers will have their "best" sales during the holiday's and before Valentine's day, but are these really the best deals available? What about the day(s) immediately after Valentine's day? I would think that many retailers (and online too) would have a bigger discount on excess diamonds, however, I do realize this could mean a more picked over selection. Am I right in thinking this or is this time of the year really the best time to buy?

It may be worth noting that I won't be purposing until spring, so I have some time to spare.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Online will almost always beat local brick and mortar stores, although some of the online vendors we know here also have a physical store as well as a website.

Now is a good time to buy diamonds because prices are relatively low right now compared to the last few years. When you are dealing with online vendors, there aren't many sales (discounts), because they keep prices low all the time. So when you are ready to buy, please post a thread and we'd be happy to help you find a great stone and ring!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I have the money... :$$): :wink2:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1453954710|3982787 said:
Online will almost always beat local brick and mortar stores, although some of the online vendors we know here also have a physical store as well as a website.

Now is a good time to buy diamonds because prices are relatively low right now compared to the last few years. When you are dealing with online vendors, there aren't many sales (discounts), because they keep prices low all the time. So when you are ready to buy, please post a thread and we'd be happy to help you find a great stone and ring!

I noticed this as well. HPD currently has a 2.33 F-SI1 CBI for less money than what I paid for my 2.21 F-SI1 cut to order CBI in 2014. I do like my numbers better though.

retrogamer

Shiny_Rock
Currently it seems pricing is pretty decent for "modern" cuts. I do not believe that pricing will change drastically after big holidays unlike holiday specific chocolates and goodies. :read:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can we help you buy something? What are you looking for?

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have bought 2 H&A diamonds for myself. I bought one in August, and one in September. Back when I got engaged, we bought that ring in September,too, I think. The online vendor prices aren't going to change unless there is movement at the wholesale level to either increase or decrease. (You get what you pay for, and the best-cut diamonds don't fluctuate unless the market fluctuates.) But what I did find at that odd time of the year is selection in my price range, and/or selection of some mighty fine eyeclean and eyeclean-ish Si2 stones that are a great value. That part of summer is past the wedding and anniversary peak, and it's before the holiday season. Many vendors are laying in a stock of great diamonds for the upcoming holidays, and I believe there just aren't as many people looking for them in late summer and early fall. Kids are going back to school then, tuition bills are due, heating bills are starting to increase, etc. BUT, keep in mind the vendors' return and exchange policies. Sometimes it's not a good idea to buy a ring a long time in advance and hold it for many months, because you will have run out of exchange / return period in the event that the recipient doesn't like the style or wants a different make / shape of diamond.

eta: Some people have very exacting specifications regarding what they want in a diamond. For those people, it may take a lot of looking and waiting to get the combination of specs plus whatever they consider desirable price. If you have some "unyielding" requirements that are going to limit your options, then the best time to start looking is ASAP, because it may take a while for your perfect diamond to even become available.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1453961182|3982833 said:
When she's getting tired of waiting

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1454006163|3983093 said:
Dancing Fire|1453961182|3982833 said:
When she's getting tired of waiting

:lol: :lol: :lol: ^ Be aware of, and perhaps beware of, the drop-dead date. :lol: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results