shape
carat
color
clarity

When does fluorescence stop helping?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DazzleVT

Rough_Rock
I understand that the better cut a diamond and the smaller it is (saying 0.7ct. vs 2.0ct.) the whiter the diamond will face-up in lower color grades. I also understand that fluorescence can help a diamond appear whiter face-up as well. Was wondering how much a med. Blue fluorescence would help this diamond:

Size: 0.93ct
Clarity: SI2 (fairly eye clean from what I can tell)
Color: L
Measurements: 6.32 - 6.35 x 3.87
Depth: 61.1
Table: 56
Girdle: Thin to medium
Cutlet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Crown Angle: 34.3
Crown Height: 14.7
Pav. Angle: 41.0
Pav. Depth: 43.2
Fluorescence: Medium Blue

When is too low a color and too large a size too much “to be saved”?

I know it would be a personal preference, and would need to see pictures and even better have it in-hand (and take outside), but ive been looking at a vast range of diamonds (F-J; VVS1-I1, eye clean main concern,; 0.7-1.0) trying to find a diamond with the best over-all looks for the right money (ideally would like to keep it at or under $3100) and was wondering if this would even be worth the effort.

Thanks!
9.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
The cut looks good (run the HCA) so the L will face up well. The med flour will help you a bit also. Flourescence is only a problem when--and this is rare--it creates a milky or cloudy appearance in the stone. It doesn't seem the case from the specs that yours would have this problem (and it is rare).

An L will show a little body color from the side. you may want to consider a lower mounting or a yellow gold setting if you are concerned with this.
1.gif

If size is a priority, this could be a good stone since the cut looks good (very important) but going with a flour. L will save you $.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If you're considering an L, you should really look at it in person, in lots of different kinds of light. You might like it, and you might not. According to what I understand, fluorescence might make it look a little whiter in daylight, but it won't be a whole LOT whiter--maybe it'll look like a K or maybe even a J. (Experts, correct me if I'm wrong.) It's never going to look like a D.

However, that might not matter. If you haven't seen an L in person, you might be imagining something genuinely yellow. It's not like that. The tint is very subtle. It's the difference between milk and cream, not the difference between snow and lemon peel.

I own two diamonds, an F/G and a K/L. (Both were appraised in their mountings, so they get split grades, but the appraiser told me the F/G is more likely an F and the K/L is more likely an L.) When they're next to each other, you can definitely tell a difference. Alone, though, the L looks like--well--a diamond. I wear it more often than the F because I like the cut better.

So take a look at the stone you're considering and see what you think, in lots of different light.

H

hlpkaixin3344

The medium blue definitely helps this L

The best way would be to compare the stone against an I and see how much difference you see

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/9/2004 12:31:10 PM glitterata wrote: ,

It's the difference between milk and cream, not the difference between snow and lemon peel...

So take a look at the stone you're considering and see what you think, in lots of different light.----------------

An eloquent analogy and very sound advice!
1.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Also keep in mind that fluorescence will only help if the lighting has a UV component. However, in incandescent lighting without UV, the tint of the lighting is yellow, so even the most colorless stone will look "warmer."

I'm a colorless girl all the way, but I actually like the L-P range, especially in antique settings. It's very much a matter of personal taste, so make sure you can either see the stone for yourself before you purchase, or that the return policy is satisfactory, in case it turns out not to be your thing.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well... L is not J: it may be "white" compared to most objects one calls white everyday, but "colorless" not quite.

If anything, fluorescence shows more when the body color of the stone is stronger. But fluorescence does turn on and off with the composition of light sources. So this diamond may "change color" between strong daylight (when fluorescence does it's job fully) and incandescent lighting (when it doesn't).

I am not saying this diamond is not a nice candidate - let it be eye clean and nicely cut and it is already a nice deal. Around a carat whatever subtle effect of lighting (that described above, for ex) does remain subtle indeed.

read.gif
Quite curious of what do you think after seeing the stone. There are not too many like these discussed here.

DazzleVT

Rough_Rock
I too am more curious than anything to see this diamond and what i really think. I love everything about it on paper, but the color. Will have to see what the b/f thinks... know he will love the price!
9.gif

Glitterata--i also like your analogy of milk and cream. Having not seen too many lower color stones in person i do tend to think heavier yellow tints, but am definatly open to looking at them and giving them a shot!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results