shape
carat
color
clarity

when do i get an appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
I did some searches on this but couldn''t find the exact right way to do it. I''m buying my stone and setting from mark turnowski at engagementringsdirect.com I was able to pick out the stone in person and will pick it up in a few weeks. Do I need an independent appraiser to examine the stone before it''s set? My guess is no since I have the GIA cert and I trust Mark.

Does he give an appraisal that I can use to get it insured before we pick it up? Or should I bring it right to an independent appraiser right after we get it. I don''t have an insurance company picked out yet but we''ll be traveling with the ring right away so we''ll need to get it insured.

Thanks for the help and sorry for any ignorance!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If you''re planning on getting an independent appraisal at some time, I would say there''s no time like the present. It''s much better to find out the opinion of your stone by an independent expert at point of purchase rather than five years down the road when you have no options available to you.

sfritz

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 10:22:16 PM
Author:shinythings

I did some searches on this but couldn''t find the exact right way to do it. I''m buying my stone and setting from mark turnowski at engagementringsdirect.com I was able to pick out the stone in person and will pick it up in a few weeks. Do I need an independent appraiser to examine the stone before it''s set? My guess is no since I have the GIA cert and I trust Mark.

Does he give an appraisal that I can use to get it insured before we pick it up? Or should I bring it right to an independent appraiser right after we get it. I don''t have an insurance company picked out yet but we''ll be traveling with the ring right away so we''ll need to get it insured.

Thanks for the help and sorry for any ignorance!
Dear Shinythings: Because you plan to travel immediately, I would ask Mark for an insurance appraisal/evaluation that includes the GIA cert. That will be sufficient for insurance purposes. Certainly, an independent appraisal would provide valuable information, but it is not necessary for insurance purposes. With some insurance companies, you can apply for insurance online and send the appraisal so you can obtain immediate coverage.

Sue Fritz
Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/13/2007 8:46:05 AM
Author: Sue Fritz

With some insurance companies, you can apply for insurance online and send the appraisal so you can obtain immediate coverage.

Sue Fritz
Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company
Sue, you're so polite. I only know of only one insurance company where you can do this.
1.gif

Shiny, Mark should be able to provide you the paperwork you need for your insurance, either prepared by him or he can hire an outside contractor to write it before he delivers the final ring to you.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
thanks so much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results