shape
carat
color
clarity

When Do Diamonds Look Yellow Against White Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I''ve heard that when choosing white metal, it''s important to have a really good color diamond, otherwise the stone can end up looking yellow against the white band. What is the ideal cut-off for stone color with platinum bands? How far can you go and still have the stone look white against the white metal, in your opinion.

Thanks for any information!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
There is no simple answer to this question because there are many variables...perceived color is unique to each individual, and is dependent on the size, shape and nature of the faceting pattern of the stone.

Arguably, I color in a round brilliant of excellent cut quality and of about 1ct. or less, MAY look fine in platinum or white gold.

Again, it's what YOU may or may not see that is important.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really depends on your eye. I saw an old euro cut (not the best cut) 'I' color in Platinum and thought it looked great. I wasn't LOOKING for color however. Color is very subjective.

IMO I would go up to 'I' in platinum.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is really a personal variable: it is enough to gothrough a couple of PS posts about color to get an idea abou just how much so. Some people would not bear the sight of an H and another went for an H because it was the last color grade which did not look yellowish to her (I did).

For me the combination of size, cut and color is what really matters: a small (0.5 to below 1ct) J-K in a platinum bezel looks white to me. The I color grade is the "commercial bet": most larger scale sellers would go for this color trusting that the vast majority of their cstomers see it as white (this in 1ct stones with commercial cutting). Good light return (by PS standards, that is) easily promotes J to 'white standard. In a less sparkly fancy cut I agree with Mara and all those shop keepers.

But there is a bit more about pairing shape and color: old cuts often come in lower color grades and look great to me. OMCs in 'cape' color have to be seen to be believed. I know that high white colors are rarer among old cuts, but I've seen plenty of those too and still like M-Ps better
2.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My advise is that going to an I color is the minimum you should go.
There might be a tinge of yellow in lower colors if mounted in white/Platinum.
J colors and lower face up white when mounted in yellow gold.(especially with some blue flour.)

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Just like everyone else said, it all depends on the CUT and the size of the diamond, and your personal color perception.

I've personally seen a J color, .85 carat, A Cut Above from White Flash that looked great set against white gold and platinum. You could see a hint of color inside the diamond thru the sides, but face up, it was white and brite.

Check out the "Show Me the Ring" portion of the Forum. There several pics there of larger carat weight, I color diamonds set in platinum and they are gorgeous.

Some people actually prefer the warmer colors. To them, D color looks like ice. You should get out and hit diamond brokers and jewelers that carry well made diamonds to compare colors. You'll find the color range that appeals to your eye and suits your personal comfort zone.
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto PQ. Go & see some well cut stones in person of varying colours. If you have a Tiffany store within reasonable distance, it's a good place to start. They carry stones from D to I, and they usually have an excellent range of carat weights set in their famous platinum six-prong setting. It's a great place to compare colours and define your own tolerances.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results