shape
carat
color
clarity

When a person SR. dies, does the junior and the 3rd move up?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
what i mean to say is, my hussbands grandfather passed away. EW: My husband is Treysar III, his Grandfather was Treysar Sr. His Father is Treysar Jr. Is he now Treysar Jr? Or does it stay the same?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are no set rules. when a sr. dies, the successors can change their title if they so choose. depending on how often the titles are used however the change could be confusing, so it may be easier to leave them as they are. bottom line..it''s up to you!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know. I thought that tresyar III was his legal name. I would stick to that. I know of situations where the dad''s a deadbeat & the son was charged with the debt. Because the son was the III, he was able to say it wasn''t him w/o jumping through hoops.

What does it say on his SS card?

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Thaks Belle!

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
If you move up from III to Jr. the credit companies will get you confused. My father was Sr. and I a Jr. When he died, I droped the Jr. When I applied for some credit cards and mortgage they thought I was him, although he had died 10 years earlier.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Interesting question. I always thought the suffixes stayed the same even if the elder dies. My Dad is a Junior and his father is deceased and he is still uses the Junior. In fact this helps during family gatherings as everyone actually still calls him HisFirstNameJunior.
emteeth.gif
It also helps when tracing your ancestry. When you starting changing names and suffixes, differentiating generations can become confusing.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
It stays the same.
Part of the the purpose of naming children that way is make it known who the father was, and even the grandfather. (Junior really just means the second, Such and Such the Second.)
However, I can see a mature adult dropping jr from his title, especially when his father passes.
I can't see a reason to change or remove III from someone's title.

Scintillating...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is purely a matter of etiquette, not law. Suffixes are not part of one's name unless he is actually named, "So-and-so III" or "Prince So-and-so" on his birth certificate or has a legal name change to that name. Only crazy celebrity parents usually make "III" or "Prince" a part of their children's names. Normal people use the usage delineated below.

The only person who is supposed to be called, "Junior" is the son of someone with the exact same name. Once his father dies, he is no longer a "Junior". However, there is absolutely no reason to call him, "Senior" unless he also has a son of the exact same name!!!

If the former, "Junior" does have a son of the same name he beomes "Senior" and his son moves up from "III" to "Junior". Although it is true that some people with the suffixes, "Junior" and those with numbers after their names prefer to keep those numbers for the rest of their lives to differentiate themselves from other family members, this is technically incorrect etiquette.

If someone other than his son is given a man's name in his honor (a nephew, for example), he use the suffix "II" in lieu of, "Junior". Even if there is no "Junior".

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2005 9:17:34 AM
Author:treysar
what i mean to say is, my hussbands grandfather passed away. EW: My husband is Treysar III, his Grandfather was Treysar Sr. His Father is Treysar Jr. Is he now Treysar Jr? Or does it stay the same?

He is Treysar, Jr.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2005 2:03:49 PM
Author: AGBF
This is purely a matter of etiquette, not law. Suffixes are not part of one''s name unless he is actually named, ''So-and-so III'' or ''Prince So-and-so'' on his birth certificate or has a legal name change to that name. Only crazy celebrity parents usually make ''III'' or ''Prince'' a part of their children''s names. Normal people use the usage delineated below.

The only person who is supposed to be called, ''Junior'' is the son of someone with the exact same name. Once his father dies, he is no longer a ''Junior''. However, there is absolutely no reason to call him, ''Senior'' unless he also has a son of the exact same name!!!

If the former, ''Junior'' does have a son of the same name he beomes ''Senior'' and his son moves up from ''III'' to ''Junior''. Although it is true that some people with the suffixes, ''Junior'' and those with numbers after their names prefer to keep those numbers for the rest of their lives to differentiate themselves from other family members, this is technically incorrect etiquette.

If someone other than his son is given a man''s name in his honor (a nephew, for example), he use the suffix ''II'' in lieu of, ''Junior''. Even if there is no ''Junior''.

Deb
Actually, it is completely different in our family.

My husband''s legal name is Pebbles Jr. -- that is what is on his birth certificate. Our son''s legal name is Pebbles III, and on his birth certificate it has Pebbles Jr. as his father. My husband''s dad (Pebbles Sr. in this case) is still alive; when he dies my husband and son cannot just arbitrarily become Sr. and Jr. respectively unless they want to go through the hassle of legally changing their names.

FYI - his name really isn''t "Pebbles", just using it for an example.
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2005 4:42:31 PM
Author: pebbles

My husband''s legal name is Pebbles Jr. -- that is what is on his birth certificate. Our son''s legal name is Pebbles III, and on his birth certificate it has Pebbles Jr. as his father. My husband''s dad (Pebbles Sr. in this case) is still alive; when he dies my husband and son cannot just arbitrarily become Sr. and Jr. respectively unless they want to go through the hassle of legally changing their names.

I apologize for inadvertently tarring your family with the same brush I used on eccentric celebrities! It is unusual for people to put, "Junior" or "III" on a birth certificate, but if they do, that becomes part of the person''s legal name.

Deborah

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
No offense taken. The reason why we put III on my son's name is because my husband was confused for his father several times when applying for credit and he got back credit reports that said he had credit cards taken out from the 1970's, which would have been impossible seeing that my husband was only a toddler then!
2.gif
He had to prove that he was not his father and it was easy enough when he provided his birth certificate with the correct name.

We debated a lot about naming our son the III. In the end it meant a lot to both my husband and his dad so that's why we did it. I hope our son isn't mad at us when he's older!
6.gif

ETA: When we filled out the application for our son's birth certificate in the hospital, the registrar recommended that we put the III on it, even though we were going to anyway. She said it saves a lot of trouble in the long run.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2005 4:42:31 PM

Date: 12/16/2005 2:03:49 PM
Author: AGBF
This is purely a matter of etiquette, not law. Suffixes are not part of one''s name unless he is actually named, ''So-and-so III'' or ''Prince So-and-so'' on his birth certificate or has a legal name change to that name. Only crazy celebrity parents usually make ''III'' or ''Prince'' a part of their children''s names. Normal people use the usage delineated below.

The only person who is supposed to be called, ''Junior'' is the son of someone with the exact same name. Once his father dies, he is no longer a ''Junior''. However, there is absolutely no reason to call him, ''Senior'' unless he also has a son of the exact same name!!!

If the former, ''Junior'' does have a son of the same name he beomes ''Senior'' and his son moves up from ''III'' to ''Junior''. Although it is true that some people with the suffixes, ''Junior'' and those with numbers after their names prefer to keep those numbers for the rest of their lives to differentiate themselves from other family members, this is technically incorrect etiquette.

If someone other than his son is given a man''s name in his honor (a nephew, for example), he use the suffix ''II'' in lieu of, ''Junior''. Even if there is no ''Junior''.

Deb

FYI - his name really isn''t ''Pebbles'', just using it for an example.
2.gif
Yeah, that''s the way it usually is. Same in our family. You see this more in old southern familes when you have say "Pebbles the 15th".

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2005 6:30:48 PM
No offense taken. The reason why we put III on my son''s name is because my husband was confused for his father several times when applying for credit and he got back credit reports that said he had credit cards taken out from the 1970''s, which would have been impossible seeing that my husband was only a toddler then!
2.gif
He had to prove that he was not his father and it was easy enough when he provided his birth certificate with the correct name.

We debated a lot about naming our son the III. In the end it meant a lot to both my husband and his dad so that''s why we did it. I hope our son isn''t mad at us when he''s older!
6.gif

ETA: When we filled out the application for our son''s birth certificate in the hospital, the registrar recommended that we put the III on it, even though we were going to anyway. She said it saves a lot of trouble in the long run.
Precisely, as I have seen the confusion in action. In our will, we even name one such namesake w/ SS # & direct naming of relationship.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Great Question although I don''t have any answers (sorry) We recently had a discussion about this b/c my DH is a fourth and we are expecting a baby very soon and it might be a fifth!!! When do you stop, and is it only royalty that can carry the name like this???

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A distinction can be made. There is a difference between your legal name, and what many people are called, or even another name you wish to use. This is called using an aliais; which is totally legal.

How many people are called "Bob" when their proper name is something else (or Sue). There are many many examples of this. Someone may chose to be called Sr. or Jr. without it being their legal name.

Growing up; one of my clasemates went by the first name of TH (which were his initials). He did not want to use his first name (and I don''t know what it really was - and am not sure if anyone outside of his family knew what it was), and just adopted his initials. Everything he filled out had TH in the place of his first name. Even the school and teachers listed his name as TH on the various list.

Currently there is even one guy I know who''s proper name is "Harry;" but prefers to be called "Tony" (I don''t know why). These alias names are fully recognized by organizations that have high levels of security; as for example Tony (Harry) above. This person works as a contractor in the nuclear field and is subject to a very high security screanings - and must have his access papers filled out with his legal name. The issued security badge says "Tony" (and he informs me that all of his badges at all of the plants he works in say "Tony").

So; you can chose to be called what you want.

Of course the topic got me thinking about the numbering scheam.. I know of a few 2nd several 3rd''s and even a 4th. Never heard of a 1st though. Makes me think that perhaps I should call myself Perry the 1st
2.gif

Perry

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
I know a few families that are up to a "4th" or "5th", and the number is such a big part of who that person is that it has stayed the same even if one dies.

My husband was very close to being a "5th", but his grandmother is fond of nicknames, and she is southern. Everyone is a Richard; Big Dick, Papa Dick, Little Dick, Dick Boy....my husband was dubbed "Baby Dick" before he was even born, and my MIL was having none of it!! So the line ended right there.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results