shape
carat
color
clarity

When a cloud sets the grade in a GIA report

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I have been reading various diamond reports and am wondering if seeing a cloud as the first in Clarity Characteristics in a VS2 diamond should be, at the very least, concerning. Is the cloud more likely to be large or in the center of the table than if it is further down on the list, i.e.: crystal, feather, cloud as opposed to cloud, crystal, feather?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
JLW05|1479954682|4102096 said:
I have been reading various diamond reports and am wondering if seeing a cloud as the first in Clarity Characteristics in a VS2 diamond should be, at the very least, concerning. Is the cloud more likely to be large or in the center of the table than if it is further down on the list, i.e.: crystal, feather, cloud as opposed to cloud, crystal, feather?
It is my least favorite - I have seen and queried GIA lab on a VS2 that was otherwise loupe 10x clean/flawless - but very dull and hazy.
In that case the clouds were the only inclusion.
If you have a stone that has 5 listed inclusions and clouds are 2 or lower on the list it may be OK.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Very informative. Thanks.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw a Vs2 that had the issue Garry talks about too. Recently. VERY surprising. It looked fantastic in the high resolution video.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1479964374|4102149 said:
I saw a Vs2 that had the issue Garry talks about too. Recently. VERY surprising. It looked fantastic in the high resolution video.
Yes gypsy, it is why I advise caution when people try to get really clean looking diamonds within a grade. I am happy to take a middle of the road stone - say an SI1 that really is an SI1, not an SI1 that looks like a VS2 - the graders do not make many mistakes and smarty pants people who think they are smarter and better at this usually come a cropper.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. Well, SI's with clouds or wisps from anyone other than a vendor I trust who has the stone in person has been a no for me.

But a Vs2? And with a high resolution picture?

It really made an impression on me, let me tell you. I actually think I am PREFERRING crystals and small feathers as inclusions now. Such a strange road from where I started.

I was actually going to post about it. But the pictures I have of the stone in real life (next to a stone with no transparency issues) are not that great.

If you or one of the other vendors has photographic examples of this, I think it would be a great article.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
bottom line is they need to evaluated on a case by case basis.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1479968598|4102159 said:
Yeah. Well, SI's with clouds or wisps from anyone other than a vendor I trust who has the stone in person has been a no for me.

But a Vs2? And with a high resolution picture?

It really made an impression on me, let me tell you. I actually think I am PREFERRING crystals and small feathers as inclusions now. Such a strange road from where I started.

I was actually going to post about it. But the pictures I have of the stone in real life (next to a stone with no transparency issues) are not that great.

If you or one of the other vendors has photographic examples of this, I think it would be a great article.

Left half is a loupe clean VS2 downgraded from Flawless because of the clouds. Right half is a stone with a few crystals and full of life.

hazy_crystal_clear_vs2s.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results