shape
carat
color
clarity

What's your opinion on eternity band as the engagement ring?

rossi46

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend and I have begun window-shopping for engagement rings and, after first focusing on solitaires (something simple/classic like the Tiffany 6-prong or Leon's Tulip setting), we started browsing eternity bands. We're both in our mid 30's and this will be her second marriage, so neither of us feel locked in to the more traditional idea of what an engagement ring is. In fact, we've both followed a somewhat non-traditional path in life that's brought us to where we are right now, so doing something different seems fitting.

At the same time, I don't want her to wear an eternity band if it's not seen as an engagement/wedding ring.

Anybody out there used an eternity band as the engagement ring? Or should it be left as an anniversary gift? Would it be "weird" to forego the solitaire?

Attached is a picture of the band that both of us really liked. Each diamond is ~0.25ct (4mm) and her ring size is 4.75, so it definitely had "presence." It's from a B&M store (DeBeers, in fact), but I'd try to get a trusted vendor to recreate it and use superideal diamonds. I might even go up to 0.30ct stones (4.25mm)...

We both really liked it as the atypical orientation of the prongs gave it an edgy/punk rock kind of look. It's definitely not dainty!

I've spent hours and hours on the forums and enjoy reading all the different opinions. Please don't hold back. ;))

dream_band.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What's your opinion on eternity band as the engagement r

I don't think it's weird at all.

I wear a 5 stone that's slightly graduated. It is low set and goes across the top of my finger so that when my hand is closed it looks very similar to an eternity. I have had a few people on here say it doesn't look as engagement-y as other rings, but irl no one mistakes it for anything other than an e ring.

If she's happy with the size of stones sure go for an eternity. I might also suggest having her try on 5 stones, as they can be more practical, a tad more comfortable, and allow you to get larger/higher quality stones.

Just another idea. But I think that's lovely and if that's what she wants by all means get it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I like it a lot! It's different w/the prongs that way, more fun I think. A cool look. I had planned for a while to do a substantial band (not en eternity, but a five stone which would've ended up about 1/2 eternity on my finger) instead of a solitaire, as a standalone band. I probably would've ended up w/a plain metal band w/it as well, so the plain band would be the wedding band and make it look more engagement-y.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the idea as long as you both agree. My fiance cannot even wear her solitary engagement ring to work because shes in the medical field. It just sits there in her jewelry box except when we go out for a date

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium

My BFF wears an eternity ring, which was her original wedding band, with a plain gold band, and I LOVE the look! Go for it!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

flyingpig|1450753547|3964604 said:
I like the idea as long as you both agree. My fiance cannot even wear her solitary engagement ring to work because shes in the medical field. It just sits there in her jewelry box except when we go out for a date
I don't mean to thread jack, but have you seen those necklaces that allow her to wear her ring around her neck?

If you're interested I can post you a link on one of your threads :)

I'd hate the idea of it being in a box

Thread jack over.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

As long as you are both fine with it, I love the idea! I think it is sleek and sophisticated. I never wear my e-ring to work. I often pair an eternity with a plain gold band and I think it looks really sharp.

ETA: Like all the bling in this thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-rose-or-yellow-gold-plain-band-w-white-eternity-stacked.190028/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-rose-or-yellow-gold-plain-band-w-white-eternity-stacked.190028/[/URL]

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you like it, go for it! :appl:

Any diamond I wear simply must be scrupulously clean so I could never wear an eternity ring since some of them are touching skin. :knockout:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the idea.
I love the look of an eternity and I also love the look of an eternity band alongside a solid gold or platinum band. I think it's an elegant look.
Some people may get confused and ask your fiancé when you all got married, but really, who cares? All she has to say is: "Oh, we decided to go a little non-traditional and get me an eternity band, instead of a solitaire....isn't it beautiful? I just love it!" (or a variation that comes naturally to her and/or you.)

Congratulations on your engagement!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

If you are both comfortable with the idea them go for it! :appl: I really like the way the prongs are situated on the de beers band. It has a bit of a different edge to it. I hope you are able to decide on something she will really love and wear. Keep us posted! :wavey:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

I really like the idea. I find myself gravitating more toward diamond bands than traditional engagement rings. I do have a solitaire but have gone weeks without wearing it & just worn my bands. I have two five stone bands & a 3/4 eternity. I'm dreaming of getting a full asscher eternity band for my 20th anniversary. Love the unique setting on the band you found. If you're both happy with that choice go for it!

Here's a thread were the couple chose an eternity for the engagement ring: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/eternity-band-engagement-ring-by-erd.176350/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/eternity-band-engagement-ring-by-erd.176350/[/URL]

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock

I love the look of a big eternity/5stone with a micropave wedding band!! But I think it's more about what your girlfriend wants :) if she is into it, I think it's a gorgeous look.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock

I think bands are a gorgeous look. To me it would be more about what type of band to get - something that combines beauty with practicality.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

What ever your girlfriend is comfortable with she will be wearing it and it will be even lovelier with larger higher grade diamonds as you suggested :appl:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think an eternity band with a plain wedding band is a really sharp look; that being said, before you're married and (perhaps) wearing another band with it, people will think it's a wedding band. I don't think that matters. The same thing happens in reverse for women who wear only an ER on their left hand - I know I've said "oh, how pretty, when are you getting married?" when in fact they already are married. But - who cares!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hi! I have a band as an engagement ring and a half eternity band as wedding band. I choose this because I love the look (but I do have a solitaire as a rhr). :)) If she changes her mind you could always get her a solitaire as an anniversary ring...
I think a full eternity is not as practical for every day wear, maybe something to consider. Very beautiful though!
Good luck!
//aca :wavey: :wavey:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

One thought the way the prongs are orientated they may catch on clothing a lot which could be very annoying after awhile

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's my only concern too. A lot of people here I see get a big eternity and sell them when they find them impractical or uncomfortable

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I actually like wearing my 5-stone as an e-ring and then stacking a thin plain band and a thin pave band with it.

What matters is what you guys like and what she will wear.

I do prefer a 5 stone bc I have finger coverage from the left to right of my finger but the comfort of a plain band that can be sized up/down if I gain or lose weight.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

i love the look! My sister in law has an eternity ring, no other band or e-ring with it and it's very much her style. I also have a friend that wears an eternity ring as her e-ring and then a plain band as her wedding band. it's a beautiful look IMO. While some may be confused (wondering if you guys are married vs engaged) it will only take a simple explanation that this look is more her style than a solitaire.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If she wears it on her left hand ring finger, people will almost always assume it's a sign of commitment, either an engagement or a wedding ring. Apparently some guys have never figured out the whole left-right thing, and will make that assumption no matter which hand she wears it on!

Niel|1450794731|3964754 said:
That's my only concern too. A lot of people here I see get a big eternity and sell them when they find them impractical or uncomfortable

This, especially for the higher carat weights that tend to require settings that sit higher off the finger. .30 ct stones are likely to start bumping up against the comfort threshold.... Then again, some people wear large carat weight eternities without a problem. Just make sure she takes the comfort and care factors into account.

rossi46

Rough_Rock

Wow! Thank you all so much for the quick replies. I really appreciate it. :appl:

Some responses to points brought up...

- I agree that a true eternity band in which the diamonds go 100% around can be impractical. Since I would be going the custom-built route, I'd have it designed as a "3/4 band" with 9 stones. The version at DeBeers had 15 stones in total for her ring size, to I think removing 6 would be good enough to have a plain metal section under her finger, while still having diamonds encircle the rest of the finger.

- It sounds like it might be best to stick with 4mm stones (0.25ct?) rather than any larger? That is what the DeBeers ring had, and I only thought of maybe bumping it up a tad - probably more of an ego thing than anything else. :oops: I guess we could try on different eternity bands in real life that have larger individual stones and see at what point they're just too big to wear every day. Either way, I'd want to use diamonds at Whiteflash ACA level.

- As to pairing the diamond band up with a plain metal band to act as wedding band, I love that idea. Should it be something very thin? Do you guys think less than 2mm? 2mm? 2.5mm?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rossi46|1450805301|3964838 said:
Wow! Thank you all so much for the quick replies. I really appreciate it. :appl:

Some responses to points brought up...

- I agree that a true eternity band in which the diamonds go 100% around can be impractical. Since I would be going the custom-built route, I'd have it designed as a "3/4 band" with 9 stones. The version at DeBeers had 15 stones in total for her ring size, to I think removing 6 would be good enough to have a plain metal section under her finger, while still having diamonds encircle the rest of the finger.

- It sounds like it might be best to stick with 4mm stones (0.25ct?) rather than any larger? That is what the DeBeers ring had, and I only thought of maybe bumping it up a tad - probably more of an ego thing than anything else. :oops: I guess we could try on different eternity bands in real life that have larger individual stones and see at what point they're just too big to wear every day. Either way, I'd want to use diamonds at Whiteflash ACA level.

- As to pairing the diamond band up with a plain metal band to act as wedding band, I love that idea. Should it be something very thin? Do you guys think less than 2mm? 2mm? 2.5mm?

I think she should try it on once she has her engagement ring.

I love the look with a Cartier thin Trinity. Or she may not know the size she wants until after she has it in her finger. Or what color, or texture or anything really lol

lioness

Brilliant_Rock

My opinion? I love it! I think a blingy band paired with a thin yellow gold wedding ring is such an elegant look.

What about a five-stone band as an alternative to the eternity? Much more comfortable, and you can go larger on the stones. Here's a thread for inspiration: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/page-5']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/page-5[/URL]

CTsparkle13

Shiny_Rock

I love the idea & personally wear a emerald cut eternity band as my engagement ring.

_35731.jpg

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's not weird at all! You wouldn't be the first couple on PS to do this. In real life a acquaintance has an eternity ring as her engagement ring and I kinda wish I'd done that too.

773dianeb

Rough_Rock

[/attachment][/attachment]We chose a 9 stone band for my engagement ring and I have a 2.5mm platinum band for my wedding band. I love the look. I have not have anyone question the engagement ring. It is a simple, clean look and the diamonds are half way around. They are 32pt's each but my ring size is rather large so you may not need as many diamonds around to be half way. It really looks like a full eternity without the worry of damaging the diamonds on the bottom side.

photo_9_10.jpg

img_10211.jpg

photo_6_8.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

In truth, ever since I got my 7-stone band, I don't wear my solitaire at all. I think it's a great idea as long as she's into it.

image_3996.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would wait on a wedding band until she has the engagement band and can play around, pairing it w/different things in stores to see what she likes as far as width, etc. She may find she likes a brushed finished band or engraved, or even a thin little diamond band or colored stone band.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock

I would go the this route as well! Classy.
OP what size diamonds are you thinking for s half or 3/4 eternity ?
Tourmaline, how many pointers are each diamond in your seven stone? So lovely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results