shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s your favorite beer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
At the risk of seeming like a total alcoholic after my recent cocktail thread
3.gif
, I now want to know about your favorite beers! I love good beer and our beer fridge usually has at least 5-10 different kinds at one time. I''m always looking for new brands to try, so post away! Also, what styles do you enjoy the most?

My all time favorite brand is Saranac. Their Black Forest beer (especially on tap) is my #1 favorite beer of all time
18.gif
I also love their new ESB (it''s an English bitter ale) and some of the others. Pomegranate Wheat is pretty tasty.

For styles, I generally prefer middle of the road types and tend to avoid the stouts, porters, and wheat beers (with a few exceptions), but I enjoy pretty much everything else. Oh, and I don''t like anything over about 8 or 9% alcohol. FI is always bringing home super high alcohol beers to try and I''m not a fan!

I live in Connecticut and I love the mix of New England and mid-Atlantic beers we get here. Though I''m sure there are a lot of great west coast beers I''m missing out on!

Post your favorite brands and styles of beer!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I just love beer. But some of my favs:
Spaten - German beer
Corona!!!
Sam Adams Oktoberfest
18.gif

All different, all delish.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bell's Oberon (Seriously... Michigan beer ROCKS)
Corona
Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat

ETA: Whoops, forgot Strongbow!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Ooooohhh, yum. I''m kind of a beer snob, so this topic is right up my alley! There''s a microbrewery called Ommegang that brews Belgian-style beers. I love their signature beer, Ommegang Abbey Ale, as well as their lighter Saison-style, called Hennepin. The abbey ale is modeled on Chimay Blue, which I also LUUUURRRRVE but it''s twice the price of the Ommegang so I usually go for the "knockoff," hehe. There are some other great local brews here, but they''re only sold for consumption at the brewery/restaurant. For beers that are more widely available, I usually like the Sam Adams seasonals, except for the Winter Ale. I stay far away from most mass-produced beers, though -- they taste like mud and I usually only have one, so I indulge myself in the good stuff.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Sadly, I can no longer drink my fave tipple anymore since discovering an intolerance to wheat
39.gif

However, I did spend many a night down the boozers drinking beer and have a jolly jape with my friends. My fave beer was a Belgian wheat beer called Hoegaarden and my preference was in a half pint glass with a slice of lemon - it was yummy. As well as that a gorgeous Czech beer called Herold Black Beer which looked like treacle but tasted like honey. Oh and I''m partial to the odd raspberry or strawberry beer.

I have also drunk my way round the UK, Ireland and Europe savouring the delights of beers and lagers of varying tastes, colours and funny shaped glasses.

Ahhh, the good old days. I''ve since replaced the beer with Champagne however my evenings out are a tad more expensive than they used to be!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmmm. . . beer! I was waiting for you to start this thread!
3.gif

High alcohol beers gross me out too. DH use to buy Dogfish, which is sold as a single bottle, costing sometimes $7 each, it's at least 12%. They also have a few that are over 20 abv! Not even enjoyable!

For me, it's microbrew or no brew at all! DH and I love to endulge and it's always a pleasure when the kids go to grandma's so we can do so. My favorite is IPA (Indian Pale Ale). Red Hook produces my favorites, like their Long Hammer IPA. Their brewery is here in Washington. Also, another favorite when we eat out is an African Amber called Mac & Jack, sold on tap, produced by another brewery also here in WA. Elrohwen - sense a trend? lol You should fly on overhere sometime and you'd be in HEAVEN!
9.gif

I also like Stone IPA and Arogant Bastard (lol) beers! And Kilt lifter, too. That one is a bit pricey at $9.99 a six pack. I love when it goes on sale.

Hopefully I don't offend, but when DH and I go to Canada, I'm always afraid to transport our own beer across the boarder so we're stuck with Canadian beer (lol) and it's a bit depressing. I guess, even though I don't know a lot about beer, I still am SUPER picky about the taste and color of it!

Pomegranate Wheat sounds intriguing. I'll have to hunt that one down!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
DH did this to me - I had no interest in beer before I met him.

My absolute favorite is Allagash White. Mmmmmm.

Followed by Boulevard Wheat (this is how dorky DH and I are: we're planning on going to KC just so we can do the Boulevard brewery tour), Hoegaarden (Po, yes!!), Koenig Ludwig Wiess, New Beligium Sunshine Wheat (and Fat Tire is good too), Bells Oberon (I agree, Michigan has great beer!!), Goose Island 312, Tucher Dark...

ETA: I suppose from my list it's probably obvious, but I'm a white/wheat gal. If the beer can be drunk with a slice of fruit, I think it's top notch. I like some darker beers (more in the amber range), but typically don't like porters unless they're more coffee/chocolatey than bitter. I don't know why, but I really don't like IPAs.

I hope this isn't a threadjack - but those of you with microbreweries nearby, what's your favorite off-the-wall creation?

One of our local breweries had a sweet potato beer and it was out within about a week so I never tried it. In Columbia, MO, there's a brewery called Flat Branch that has pumpkin beer right before Thanksgiving, and it's TDF - I've had other pumpkin beers, but this one is the perfect blend of sweet and spice. I crave that stuff every fall.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
I found it difficult to get a beer in the US as its mainly lager that I found on offer. When I was in San Francisco I was in a great micro brewery that sold some really nice beer but could only get lager in the other states I visited.

Have you ever tried Stout?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Po, I''m LOVING the international "beer slang" I''m picking up from your post! I''m guessing "on offer" means the same as "on tap?"

I think the culture of beer is definitely changing in the US. The widely distributed beers in the US are yupp, lagers, and they tend to taste really watered down. I feel like it used to be that the "step up" beer in most bars would be Sam Adams, Harp, and Guiness. But, it seems like lately most of the bars/restaurants I go to have at least 1 or 2 regional offerings on tap, typically not lager (maybe a wheat and an amber). I think that the trend in the US is definitely that beer is the new wine - it''s OK to be a "beer snob" etc.

Oh- can I add Stella Artois to my list above? ;-)

tlh

Ideal_Rock
A local pub 4 Peaks - the Pale ale... YUM!
Bud Light and
When I''m really wanting to save on the calories.. MGD light.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guinness (it is indeed better in Ireland)
Coopers Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada

And when I am in the mood for lighter beers, I like Japanese beers like Kirin.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
a cold one
37.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 7:01:20 PM
Author: sevens one
a cold one
37.gif
I'll second that, and add...

Any "cold" beer served on a table of hot crawfish, on the back of our boat in the middle of July, or on a golf course when the weather was just too nice to stay at work
9.gif

ETA: Agree with TGal, Kirin Light is one of my fav's... and whoever said Stella!! I'm pretty into Hefeweizen "on offer" right now
18.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Sam Adams
Stella Artois
Killian''s Irish Red

Now I need one ...badly!!!

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
I''m more of a whino than a beer lover, but my favorite beer has to be Sam Adams Oktoberfest....come on August
2.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Black Butte Porter
Guinness
Old Fog Horn [actually, this is a barleywine]

mz

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sam Adams Winter Lager
Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale
Dead Guy Ale
Shiner Bock
Yuengling
Blue Moon

I''m joining the Weight Watchers at work group tomorrow, and I''m going to have to switch to light beer. Yuck.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Sierra Nevada is my fave. I love their holiday ale too. It''s delicious, I look foward to it every year.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chimay Red and Blue, oh man is this beer GOOD
18.gif
18.gif
seriously my favorite.

I like Negro Modelo.

Oh and a dessert beer framboise Lambic, YUM, like raspberry sorbet!

I love to try beers at a microbrewery by my house; my favorite is their dark brown ale. I use to like light beers but now I like darker. I use to love wine but now I am loving beer, which is super weird. lol

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''m a canadian, so most of you are probably not familiar, but my favorite is Granville Island Brewery Kitsilano Maple Cream Ale (I used to live in kitsilano too!). It''s so smooth and creamy!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Is it wrong that it''s 8:30am and I''m totally craving a beer now?
18.gif
I can''t wait to get home and raid our beer fridge (I bought a new one the other day with a seal on the label ... don''t remember what it''s called ... and I''m dying to try it!) I also wanted to put in a plug for Hyde Park Brewery if anyone is in the Hudson Valley area. I love that place and they have lots of different homemade beer choices. Also, if anyone is in the Norwalk, CT area, there''s a great place called Gingerman that has at least 20-30 beers on tap. So great for a Friday afternoon in the summer after work.

Bia, do you live in NY? I can''t remember, but if you do, you should try Saranac Oktoberfest. It''s a little different than the Sam and just as yummy!

Elledizzy, I know so many people who love Cherry Wheat. Even FI, who is the high alcohol lover, loves cherry wheat. I tease him that it''s a girly beer
2.gif

Octavia, love Ommegang. Just one of the fantastic breweries in upstate NY. Have you visited the brewery? It''s on my list of things to do next time I''m upstate.

Po, I hope the next time you''re in the US you give our beers another chance! I know the definition of "lager" in England tends to be Bud Light or Foster''s, but we really have so many great beers now (many of them darker lagers that are fantastic; not all lagers are pale and watery). So I hope you come back! I agree with Elmorton that we''re slowly turning into a country of beer snobs, which is a great thing! Champagne is always yummy too though
3.gif

MC, I was waiting for you to show up to this thread! FI loves Dogfish Head too
38.gif
I like a few of their beers, but definitely not the high alcohol ones (or the weirder ones, like Midas Touch or Raison d''Etra). And maybe we''ll have to do an east-west beer exchange! I''ve only been out your way a few times, and most before I was of drinking age
39.gif
so I have a lot of catching up to do on western beers. And I don''t know if you''ll ever find Pomegranate Wheat since Saranc is a NY brewery and I sometimes can''t even find their stuff in Connecticut, but you''ll have to look! I''m not a huge fan of wheat beers or fruity beers, but this one strikes a perfect chord for me.

Elmorton, FI kind of got me into beer too when we were in college. Now we''re both huge beer snobs! And I love Hoegaarden. It''s a great beer to sit on the porch and drink during the summer. I also love trying crazy seasonal beers like pumpkin. They''re not all good, but I try them all anyway! If you want to try something really different, look for Dogfish Head Midas Touch. It''s based on the ancient beers made in Sumeria and is made from honey, muscat grapes, barely, and saffron. It''s not something I''d drink all the time, but it''s definitely out there!

Tlh, where is this 4 Peaks place? If I''m even in your area I''ll have to stop in.

TGal, I''ve always wanted to try Guiness in Ireland! I can''t stand the stuff out of a can (it tastes like water for some reason) but on tap it''s much better. I imagine being fresh and on tap is the best! Do you think they have a different recipe for Ireland than for the US?

SevensOne, can''t argue with you there!

Meresal, can I come down and hang out with you on your boat? Pretty please? I''ll bring the beer
9.gif

Soocool, I''m feeling the beer craving soon. Darn work. And darn social conventions against drinking early in the morning.

Patiently_Waiting, if you''re near NY state, I''d suggest trying Saranac Oktoberfest if you like Sam''s version. It''s also delicious! So good we''re having it at our wedding on tap
18.gif

MZ, where do you get Black Butte Porter? I''m assuming from the "butte" that it''s somewhere out west.

Deegee, yeah Rogue Dead Guy! Looove that beer.

KimberlyH, I''ll have to try the Sierra Nevada holiday. I didn''t even know they had one!

Skippy, love Chimay. Come to think of it, I haven''t seen that in the stores lately ... I''ll have to look around for it next time we''re at the beer store.

Shimmer, I don''t really know the Canadian beers ... it''s a whole unexplored country of beer for me. I''ll have to check it out sometime.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I tend to go with white ales, but I also love a Guinness in winter! Some of my faves are Boddinton''s, Sam Adams White Ale, Blue Moon, Shocktop, Long Trail''s Blackberry Wheat, Magic Hat''s Circus Boy... etc.
I didn''t know you were in CT!! Long Trail and Magic Hat are in VT and fun breweries to visit!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 8:52:47 AM
Author: PaulaW
I tend to go with white ales, but I also love a Guinness in winter! Some of my faves are Boddinton''s, Sam Adams White Ale, Blue Moon, Shocktop, Long Trail''s Blackberry Wheat, Magic Hat''s Circus Boy... etc.
I didn''t know you were in CT!! Long Trail and Magic Hat are in VT and fun breweries to visit!
Yes, I totally want to visit Long Trail and Magic Hat! Those are two of my favorite breweries and I''ll have to get up there some day to visit them. I see a New Engladn road trip in my future ...

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
hee hee!! They are both very fun. I would suggest a warm weather visit as Long Trail is on this cute little river and has outdoor seating for lunch. Their brewery tour is nothing special, it''s self guided up a flight of stairs, a quick look and that''s it.
Magic Hat is very entertaining! Again, not much of a tour, but at least it''s guided and fun. They offer tastings and you can purchase growlers - a huge jug o'' beer! Burlington is a cool town and Lake Champlain is amazing!
Hope you get to go soon!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Just remember, if you''re out of milk you can pour beer over your cornflakes!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 9:09:41 AM
Author: PaulaW
hee hee!! They are both very fun. I would suggest a warm weather visit as Long Trail is on this cute little river and has outdoor seating for lunch. Their brewery tour is nothing special, it''s self guided up a flight of stairs, a quick look and that''s it.
Magic Hat is very entertaining! Again, not much of a tour, but at least it''s guided and fun. They offer tastings and you can purchase growlers - a huge jug o'' beer! Burlington is a cool town and Lake Champlain is amazing!
Hope you get to go soon!
I love visiting breweries (and wineries). They''re always a blast (the free tastings are the best part!) We''ll get our growlers all clean and ready to go before heading up there too. Does Ben & Jerry''s offer tours? That might make it the perfect weekend trip.

Soocool, LOL.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen, I''m not upstate but I do live in NY. I''ve tried Saranac, not their Oktoberfest, but their traditional lager and it''s really good. I love beer period (except BUD and beer of that variety), but especially dark brews on cold nights. The lighter ones, like Coronas, are great on a super hot day...sitting at the beach...on a caribbean island...ljust ike they do in the commericals
3.gif

I wish summer were here now!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Bia, if you''re in NY then you have to see if you can find Saranac Black Forest (and the Oktoberfest, when it comes out again). The Black Forest is a dark lager, black in color, but lighter in taste than a stout or porter. Sooo yummy. It''s a little harder to find downstate than some of their other stuff, but easier in NY than in CT.

And the only time I can drink light beers is outside in the summer
10.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 8:43:36 AM
Author: elrohwen
Octavia, love Ommegang. Just one of the fantastic breweries in upstate NY. Have you visited the brewery? It's on my list of things to do next time I'm upstate.

Yay, another Ommegang fan! I have been to the brewery, but unfortunately it was before I was of legal age. My brother used to be a runner, and for a few years there was a 5K run on Father's Day between the Ommegang Brewery and the Cooperstown Brewing Company (yup, they really are only 3 miles apart
11.gif
), so we'd go to cheer him on. It was actually a ton of fun, I don't think they do it anymore though. I've been meaning to go back for the past 6 years, now that I can actually do a tasting there, but I don't get home as often as I'd like and it always gets put off when I'm there. Maybe now I'll make real plans to finally do it!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 10:27:25 AM
Author: Octavia

Yay, another Ommegang fan! I have been to the brewery, but unfortunately it was before I was of legal age. My brother used to be a runner, and for a few years there was a 5K run on Father''s Day between the Ommegang Brewery and the Cooperstown Brewing Company (yup, they really are only 3 miles apart
11.gif
), so we''d go to cheer him on. It was actually a ton of fun, I don''t think they do it anymore though. I''ve been meaning to go back for the past 6 years, now that I can actually do a tasting there, but I don''t get home as often as I''d like and it always gets put off when I''m there. Maybe now I''ll make real plans to finally do it!
FMIL lives in Rochester and we went to school in Ithaca, so we go upstate quite a few times every year. I guess Cooperstown is just enough out of the way that we''ve never been (though when we''re passing the sign for it on the highway we always talk about turning off). And I totally forgot about Cooperstown Brewing Company. I know I''ve had their stuff, but I honestly don''t remember any of it

Where does your family live in NY?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results