shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s your favorite beer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
My very favorite commercial beer is Shiner Bock. Also rounding out that list are Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Old Speckled Hen, Guinness, and Smithwick''s. Since I live in the town on Anheuser-Busch, I usually go for their American Ale or Bud Select when I''m out somewhere without much selection. My general rule used to be that the less you can see through it, the better.

B and I also brew our own beers. I haven''t determined a favorite yet, although there''s a mix we''re working on that I think should be very good (we got a homebrewer''s book that reads rather like a chemistry book, and we''re learning a lot!).

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Misskitty, FI and I have brewed our own beer too! Though we just bought a kit and didn''t blend the ingredients ourselves. What kind are you currently trying to make? I think we started with a brown ale, and now have a kit for a red ale (not very creative, but we figured simpler ones were more likely to come out tasting better since we''re just getting started). We currently have another unopened kit that we''ll make some weekend. All of the sterilizing is such a pain, but the end product is awesome.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Ben and Jerry''s does offer tours. For some reason, I remember paying for it though... and getting a sample of whatever they were making. Have fun!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:17:03 PM
Author: PaulaW
Ben and Jerry''s does offer tours. For some reason, I remember paying for it though... and getting a sample of whatever they were making. Have fun!
I actually used to work for the company that owned Ben & Jerry''s and I probably could''ve wrangled a great tour out of them if I had thought of it. Then again, when my current company owned Godiva, they never ever let us into their plant
20.gif

This really is a great idea though because FI has been bugging me to take a weekend trip for a while now. Neither of us has been to Vermont, so this would be perfect.
1.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 11:42:22 PM
Author: Skippy123
Chimay Red and Blue, oh man is this beer GOOD
18.gif
18.gif
seriously my favorite.

I like Negro Modelo.

Oh and a dessert beer framboise Lambic, YUM, like raspberry sorbet!

I love to try beers at a microbrewery by my house; my favorite is their dark brown ale. I use to like light beers but now I like darker. I use to love wine but now I am loving beer, which is super weird. lol
Chimay - this is the one brewed by monks, right?! My DH found it when we were on a mini-vacay weekend and I really liked it!!

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 7:14:51 PM
Author: meresal

Date: 4/15/2009 7:01:20 PM
Author: sevens one
a cold one
37.gif
I''ll second that, and add...

Any ''cold'' beer served on a table of hot crawfish, on the back of our boat in the middle of July, or on a golf course when the weather was just too nice to stay at work
9.gif

ETA: Agree with TGal, Kirin Light is one of my fav''s... and whoever said Stella!! I''m pretty into Hefeweizen ''on offer'' right now
18.gif
DIT TOE!!!

I can''t wait to indulge on all the crawfish I want and 2 (or 3 or 4) COLD beers! I''ve just recently become a fan of ICE cold Coors Light. It''s the most refreshing thing I can think. Just a couple more weeks and I''ll no longer be pregnant...that''s the first thing I''ll do when it''s time to get out of the house.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:01:50 PM
Author: elrohwen
Misskitty, FI and I have brewed our own beer too! Though we just bought a kit and didn''t blend the ingredients ourselves. What kind are you currently trying to make? I think we started with a brown ale, and now have a kit for a red ale (not very creative, but we figured simpler ones were more likely to come out tasting better since we''re just getting started). We currently have another unopened kit that we''ll make some weekend. All of the sterilizing is such a pain, but the end product is awesome.

We also started with a brown ale. The next-up batch is probably going to be a witbier, as similar as we can guess to the flavor palette of Blue Moon/Shock Top. I''m not a huge fan of that style (too sweet!), but my mom and his stepmom love it.

And you''re totally right, the long process is definitely worth it.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 5:39:35 PM
Author: Elmorton

Date: 4/15/2009 11:42:22 PM
Author: Skippy123
Chimay Red and Blue, oh man is this beer GOOD
18.gif
18.gif
seriously my favorite.

I like Negro Modelo.

Oh and a dessert beer framboise Lambic, YUM, like raspberry sorbet!

I love to try beers at a microbrewery by my house; my favorite is their dark brown ale. I use to like light beers but now I like darker. I use to love wine but now I am loving beer, which is super weird. lol
Chimay - this is the one brewed by monks, right?! My DH found it when we were on a mini-vacay weekend and I really liked it!!
YES, it is delicious, huh?! I only had the blue and red one and love both, mmmmm
9.gif
Yay for a vacay and Chimay, NICE COMBO!!!!!
embeer.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 9:23:03 AM
Author: Courtneylub

Date: 4/15/2009 7:14:51 PM
Author: meresal
I'll second that, and add...

Any 'cold' beer served on a table of hot crawfish, on the back of our boat in the middle of July, or on a golf course when the weather was just too nice to stay at work
9.gif

ETA: Agree with TGal, Kirin Light is one of my fav's... and whoever said Stella!! I'm pretty into Hefeweizen 'on offer' right now
18.gif
DIT TOE!!!

I can't wait to indulge on all the crawfish I want and 2 (or 3 or 4) COLD beers! I've just recently become a fan of ICE cold Coors Light. It's the most refreshing thing I can think. Just a couple more weeks and I'll no longer be pregnant...that's the first thing I'll do when it's time to get out of the house.
Courtney, I CAN'T believe you're almost there!! It seems like the time has flown by. To me, it's hard to believe the hurricane was 8 months ago. I still feel like we just moved back.
FI and I went our first crawfish boil of the season last weekend. Kegs of Mich Ultra, DosXX, and Bud Light. So freakin good!! Too bad the weather isn't going to be good this weekend as well. There's a restaurant down here called T Bone Tom's that sells crawfish by the pound and you can sit, eat, and watch a live band on their patio!!! You all should check it out. It's right by Kemah.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

If I drink beer--it is Pilsner Urquell.

cheers--Sharon

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Moon
Blue Moon Winter Ale
Great Lakes Christmas Ale
Corona
Bud Light Lime

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 5:06:40 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Bell''s Oberon (Seriously... Michigan beer ROCKS)

Corona

Sam Adam''s Cherry Wheat

ETA: Whoops, forgot Strongbow!

Bell''s beer is FI''s favorite. He enjoys the two hearted ale
14.gif
(too bitter for me). I enjoy the Amber Ale
18.gif
. We can not get Bell''s beer in WV, so whenever we travel, we MUST get Bells.

I''m not too much of a beer drinker, but FI enjoys:
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Anderson Valley

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Anything brewed by hubby! He''s an AWESOME homebrewer who''s won quite a number of medals/ribbons for his brews.

if we''re talking commercial, then it''s FAT TIRE for me!

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 8:43:36 AM
Author: elrohwen
Is it wrong that it''s 8:30am and I''m totally craving a beer now?
18.gif
I can''t wait to get home and raid our beer fridge (I bought a new one the other day with a seal on the label ... don''t remember what it''s called ... and I''m dying to try it!) I also wanted to put in a plug for Hyde Park Brewery if anyone is in the Hudson Valley area. I love that place and they have lots of different homemade beer choices. Also, if anyone is in the Norwalk, CT area, there''s a great place called Gingerman that has at least 20-30 beers on tap. So great for a Friday afternoon in the summer after work.

Bia, do you live in NY? I can''t remember, but if you do, you should try Saranac Oktoberfest. It''s a little different than the Sam and just as yummy!

Elledizzy, I know so many people who love Cherry Wheat. Even FI, who is the high alcohol lover, loves cherry wheat. I tease him that it''s a girly beer
2.gif

Octavia, love Ommegang. Just one of the fantastic breweries in upstate NY. Have you visited the brewery? It''s on my list of things to do next time I''m upstate.

Po, I hope the next time you''re in the US you give our beers another chance! I know the definition of ''lager'' in England tends to be Bud Light or Foster''s, but we really have so many great beers now (many of them darker lagers that are fantastic; not all lagers are pale and watery). So I hope you come back! I agree with Elmorton that we''re slowly turning into a country of beer snobs, which is a great thing! Champagne is always yummy too though
3.gif

MC, I was waiting for you to show up to this thread! FI loves Dogfish Head too
38.gif
I like a few of their beers, but definitely not the high alcohol ones (or the weirder ones, like Midas Touch or Raison d''Etra). And maybe we''ll have to do an east-west beer exchange! I''ve only been out your way a few times, and most before I was of drinking age
39.gif
so I have a lot of catching up to do on western beers. And I don''t know if you''ll ever find Pomegranate Wheat since Saranc is a NY brewery and I sometimes can''t even find their stuff in Connecticut, but you''ll have to look! I''m not a huge fan of wheat beers or fruity beers, but this one strikes a perfect chord for me.

Elmorton, FI kind of got me into beer too when we were in college. Now we''re both huge beer snobs! And I love Hoegaarden. It''s a great beer to sit on the porch and drink during the summer. I also love trying crazy seasonal beers like pumpkin. They''re not all good, but I try them all anyway! If you want to try something really different, look for Dogfish Head Midas Touch. It''s based on the ancient beers made in Sumeria and is made from honey, muscat grapes, barely, and saffron. It''s not something I''d drink all the time, but it''s definitely out there!

Tlh, where is this 4 Peaks place? If I''m even in your area I''ll have to stop in.

TGal, I''ve always wanted to try Guiness in Ireland! I can''t stand the stuff out of a can (it tastes like water for some reason) but on tap it''s much better. I imagine being fresh and on tap is the best! Do you think they have a different recipe for Ireland than for the US?

SevensOne, can''t argue with you there!

Meresal, can I come down and hang out with you on your boat? Pretty please? I''ll bring the beer
9.gif

Soocool, I''m feeling the beer craving soon. Darn work. And darn social conventions against drinking early in the morning.

Patiently_Waiting, if you''re near NY state, I''d suggest trying Saranac Oktoberfest if you like Sam''s version. It''s also delicious! So good we''re having it at our wedding on tap
18.gif

MZ, where do you get Black Butte Porter? I''m assuming from the ''butte'' that it''s somewhere out west.

Deegee, yeah Rogue Dead Guy! Looove that beer.

KimberlyH, I''ll have to try the Sierra Nevada holiday. I didn''t even know they had one!

Skippy, love Chimay. Come to think of it, I haven''t seen that in the stores lately ... I''ll have to look around for it next time we''re at the beer store.

Shimmer, I don''t really know the Canadian beers ... it''s a whole unexplored country of beer for me. I''ll have to check it out sometime.
Thanks for the suggestion! I''ll have to keep an eye out for that one
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results