shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s your experience with BUMPS on the inside of the ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

papillon

Rough_Rock
My BF recently purchased the e-ring from Mark T. The ring was a little too big on my finger and the top keeps rolling on the side. We brought the ring back to Mark in hope that he could resize it to a little bit smaller. Mark told us that rings like mine are very difficult to resize (Although when we were there purchasing the ring, he explained to us that the reason why the pave diamonds don''t go all the way around the setting is for resizing purpose.
33.gif
). He tried the ring on my finger and told me that if it is resized it would become too small and I won''t be able to put it on. He recommended adding two bumps on the inside of the ring to prevent slippery. He also told me that rings with heavy tops tends to roll anyway even if it''s perfectly sized, and there really isn''t any better way to prevent rolling other than adding bumps. I have never heard of or seen rings with bumps, but since it seems to be the only option, I agreed to let Mark go ahead and install the bumps.
Today the ring was sent back to me. The two bumps are really odd looking to me. When I put the ring on my finger, I can see and feel the bumps cutting into my skin. When I carry a heavier bag the bumps cut into my skin even deeper and it starts to hurt. However it did cure the rolling.
I''d like to hear about experiences from ladies who have bumps like the ones on my ring. Is this a common solution that people have been doing all the time? Do you feel uncomfortable in the long run? Is there really no other way to stop the ring from rolling around? Is it really so difficult to resize a pave ring like mine? Will I be better off .25 size down than adding bumps?

Any input will be appreciated!

DSC_0630.jpg

pinkprincessnovo

Rough_Rock
wow that really sucks i never heard of such thing i know rings like yours is hard to re size cause sometimes it could
mess up i hope u can find a way to fix your ring
i really feel bad
40.gif

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE my bumps so much I had them put on the inside of both my rings. Only took me a few days to get used to and no more turning. But check out the pic..my bumps are positioned differently than yours. I think the positon of your bumps might be contributing to the uncomfortableness.

FYI. Originally I tried have my ring sized down 1/4 size more to fit super tight to stop the "top flop", but my fingers change so much I couldn't even get it on half the time. Plus these bumps still leave me a little more wiggle room when I am swollen.

PS. I had my pave' ring resized no-prob and the pave' goes about the same amount around the shank.

speedbumps101.jpg

papillon

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/17/2008 1:52:50 AM
Author: Missrocks
I LOVE my bumps so much I had them put on the inside of both my rings. Only took me a few days to get used to and no more turning. But check out the pic..my bumps are positioned differently than yours. I think the positon of your bumps might be contributing to the uncomfortableness.

FYI. Originally I tried have my ring sized down 1/4 size more to fit super tight to stop the ''top flop'', but my fingers change so much I couldn''t even get it on half the time. Plus these bumps still leave me a little more wiggle room when I am swollen.

PS. I had my pave'' ring resized no-prob and the pave'' goes about the same amount around the shank.

Missrocks,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I see your speed bumps are placed more toward the sides of the finger. One of the bumps on my ring hits the center of my finger and that can probably explain why it hurts when I carry something heavy.
Does it cost a lot to have a pave ring resized? I''m thinking maybe Mark will be nice enough to have the speed bumps removed for me -- I know he will probably need to re-polish the inside again. I might just settle with it for now. I really don''t want to mess up my ring!

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Papillion,

Glad I could help. Honestly, I don't even feel mine when I'm lifting things because my bumps are off the sides. I am super happy with my bumps. One suggestion is to have your bumps moved like mine. I know that it doesn't harm the ring to have them added or removed.
And if you do decide to go with sizing.... my jeweler did not charge me for sizing. I thought that most places would at least give one sizing free??? I think platinum resizing would normally cost around 95-100 to go down a size. I didn't see what metal yours was.
Good Luck!

PS. To answer the question "Is pave' easy to resize", it might depend how yours was made. I know mine was hand fabricated "fishtail" pave which can be more secure than machined / cast pave'. There is a thread about the difference on here somewhere. The way your stones were set may have something to do with the difficulty of sizing.

sparklegrrl

Rough_Rock
Ouch, those look uncomfortable! I know for people with big knuckles/small fingers a clinger (inside ring guard) can be installed/soldered inside the ring - it''s like a super thin half shank inside the ring that is flexible so when you put the ring on it expands to the size of your ring and then clings/grips onto your finger once the ring is all the way on. It''s supposed to stop the ring from turning, plus it will take about a quarter of a size off the ring because it is extra gold/platinum inside the ring. Might work, if not, it can be removed.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! My graduated marquise eternity band has 2 speed bumps. (It''s an estate piece, and they were there when I got it.) I never notice them at all, and they definitely stop the ring from rolling around.

susi

Shiny_Rock
I''m wondering if the jeweler could make some smoother flatter more comfortable bumps? Couldn''t he solder some nice flatter platinum or gold pieces inside the shank to take up that extra room?

This is after the fact for you, but when I''ve had rings made I''ve either asked for euro shanks or in the case of one I''m going to get made very soon, I get the bottom part of the ring made heavier and wider so it will stay down and not turn easily.

It''s a thought for future projects, maybe?

( by the way, your ring is beautiful!!)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve recently switched from the beads to a "bridge". I have to have these in all of my rings.................grrrr mumble....silly huge knuckles........grrr. I find that the bridge works the same and is much more comfortable for me.

cmsbridge02.jpg

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
I just took my ring into my jeweler on Tuesday to have balls put in to keep it from spinning. She said she wasn''t a big fan and I talked to a sales associate who had some balls who did not like hers. Instead the jeweler suggested something called a "french" something-or-other (that I can''t remember the name of). She said my ring would have to be sized up a half size and then the "french ____" put in. She said that they use white gold for them because white gold has some flexibility, whereas platinum (what my ring is made of) doesn''t have the same flexibility. I guess the flexibility is important, so that in the summer when the weather is warmer, the insert flexes out some. I should have it back sometime next week. I''ll let you know how I like it and post a photo then. (Maybe someone here on Pricescope has experience with one of these and knows the name!)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have these so called "speed bumps" in a Christopher Designs wedding band. (1) the ARE psotioned a little more to the side than yours (2) they are a totally different shape than your - teeny, tiny, but the "shape" of a watch battery, if you know what I mean (3) after I got them I had them shaved down a nudge, b/c they were not comfortable and now I wear it 24/7. I''ve never seen the little hump idea though - that looks comfortable too! Good luck!

diamondgirl5k

Shiny_Rock
Hi, i have the bumps on the shank of my 2 ct and i have no problem with it at all.. my ring had the same problem as yours with turning to the side and this has made that stop completely.. if the bumps are too big for you im sure they can make smaller ones..i''d just ask them to redo them.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never had those bump things in a ring, but they always looked to me like they would bug me. I have a problem with my knuckle being bigger than my ring part of my finger, and to me a better solution always seemed like the horseshoe sizer things. I''ve tried one on, and it felt comfortable. Here is an example:

Solov MT horseshoe sizer 4784.jpg

Cyren

Rough_Rock
Papillon,

Here is a link to an older thread that has a great picture of flattened sizing beads on SuzyQZ''s ring--much like Motownmama mentioned.

They look like they would be more comfortable than yours, if you decide to stick with sizing beads instead of going for another option.

Cyren

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a cheaper, less sophisticated example. I think the horseshoe thing is better than this because it's hidden. But I've worn this ring and it's comfortable. (& you don't really notice that device anyway)

ETA: BTW, your ring is very pretty!!!

dscn6147 mod.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
"Speed bumps"... hahaha!!!

Interesting thread.

I have seen sizing balls (although never worn any), and I think a large part of the wearability of them is in their positioning. The position of the OPs really do look uncomfortable to me.

I have also seen "sizing pads", little small pads of metal placed inside a ring, supposed to work similar to the balls, only shaped differently.

Keep us posted. Your e-ring should be comfortable!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d do the horseshoe sizer...it sure looks way more comfy to me...

K&L

Shiny_Rock
This isn''t the best picture of my bumps, but one of the only ones I have. I too am stuck with over sized knuckles. It cost me $75 for the bumps, which they said was the only solution. Back in August it did help my ring fit better, but now that it''s winter it''s loose anyway. They also told me they couldn''t resize my ring because of the pave. They said the diamonds could get loose. Most of the time the bumps don''t bother me. But I did prefer it when the inside of my ring was smooth. I was trying to compare and see if I could tell how far apart my bumps are in comparison. My ring is a 4.5, so even though they are on the "sides" of the ring, it''s still pretty close to the center. I don''t have any solutions for you, but thanks for starting the thread!

IMG_0718com.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your best bet is a horshoe sizer. It is a curved bar that goes into the inside of your ring and expands when you are putting on your ring or when your figer is big and comes inward and tightened to your finger when your finger is smaller. The ring still might spin ocassionally...but i''d take this anyday over being uncomfortable!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had them in my rings, and I only found it uncomfortable on my right hand (I guess because I am right handed and it fit more snug). Yours look like they would hurt! I would see if they can be flattened or smoothed a bit, moved over to the side a bit... otherwise I would try something else.

My sister has sizing beads in both her e-ring and w-ring and she has no problems with comfort at all.

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I have them in my pave banded ering as well. I was uncomfortable with them for about a week. Now I love them! They totally keep my ''topheavy'' ring from rolling! My jeweler told me my ring would be hard to resize too. The wedding band was made with it, and that fits fine, so no balls. While I was pregnant i just wore my wedding band as the sizing balls made my ering a little too tight.

I would try it out for awhile, then maybe get them redone if you dont like where they are.

rubsizballs.jpg

sparklegrrl

Rough_Rock
Ahhh perfect old-fashioned girl! I couldn't find a picture anywhere!! This is much like the clinger I had mentioned in my previous post, I would have it soldered onto the ring in the centre of the shank instead of off to the side so that it clings evenly & your finger is not over to one side of the ring.
1.gif

papillon

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your inputs guys! I emailed Mark this afternoon asking if he could 1)re-position the beads more off the sides of the shank, and 2)make the top of the beads flat. Still waiting for reply.
I asked my BF to take a picture of my finger after 10 mins of wearing the ring, so I could show Mark how the beads cut into my skin. I can''t imagine wearing my e-ring like this everyday from now on. Since many of you have no problem with your speed bumps, I think my main problem could be the position of the beads.

DSC_0631.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have sizing beads in my ring but they don''t seem to be as large as yours. I think yours would hurt my finger too. Maybe you can have them made a bit smaller?

maisiesizingbeads.jpg

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Maise - I love your new avatar photo: so cute!!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thankyou! He made himself a little bed in the laundry basket! (sorry for the mini threadjack!)

jameswbasket211.jpg

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 9:47:22 AM
Author: Maisie
Thankyou! He made himself a little bed in the laundry basket! (sorry for the mini threadjack!)
Soooooo cute. Okay, back to the thread.

dawnrob916

Rough_Rock
I had just recently gotten my sizing balls put in my e ring and my wedding band. My wedding band fits really good with the balls and without my e ring. But I want to be able to wear my e ring with my wedding band. I think this is because the balls are smaller on my wedding band and further apart. My e ring the balls are larger and more closer together. Im worried if they are tight on me now and its Feb, the summer will be unbearable. I dont want to just wear my wedding band. I might have to go back and have my jeweler make the e ring balls smaller and further apart. I am also noticing red marks on my fingers and they are sore.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results