Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500-550

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Below 500

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
In an attempt to distract us from all the political discussions abounding in Hangout I thought I'd pose this question: What's your credit score? Where did you derive your score from? One of the 3 credit bureaus or FICO? Have you always had a similar score? What have you done to bring up your score if you had a lower score in the past.

This is not an attempt to find out how much people's incomes are, just an interesting subject regarding how we are viewed by lenders.
I made it into a poll so you can vote anonymously, but if you are so inclined to include your score in a comment that's ok too.

My FICO score, as of last month is 855 out of 900. I received a letter today stating that my score from Experian is 823 out of 850 and that my score is higher that 92% of US Consumers. That shocked me a little bit. I mean, I'm happy to be in the top 10% (8%, technically) but I'm wondering where the other 92% fall.

I haven't always had a good score. Back in my early 20's I racked up some serious debt that put a giant hole in my credit rating. I was young and dumb and wasn't financially responsible. It took me a few years to get my score up to a reasonable standard and with a solid commitment to my financial future it is finally where I want it to be.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scores can also depend on how fat or lean your files are. Mine aren't bad, my file is a bit skinny though. I range from 736 to 774 (and thats just this month) These are the Fico 8 scores. My other half ranges from 811-820. His credit files have a much longer history than mine so kind of expected.

Scores change all the time. Get a card, it can dump your scores 5pts. pay one off, same thing. LOL As long as I'm in mid or so 700's I'm happy. There are plenty of people who are in the 600's who don't do bad things, they may not have the credit history as someone who's in the 700's and above.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I thought FICO went to 850. Are there different versions of FICO? My credit card reports mine as 831 out of 850. I voted 800-850.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't even know. They told us at the credit union when we went in to get the loan for the Durango, and I remember she said it was really good. Not sure how to find out w/out paying a fee, so I've never looked.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get constant updates from the agencies and then the vantage score from another site. I check on it CONSTANTLY. We also get real pulled copies of it from the CU we belong to every year as part of our membership. It's over 800 but I am not going to disclose what it is publicly.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
purplesparklies|1465914508|4043833 said:
I thought FICO went to 850. Are there different versions of FICO? My credit card reports mine as 831 out of 850. I voted 800-850.

You are correct. FICO stops at 850. There are some other credit evaluations that may go higher, but the traditional, everyday FICO stops at 850. I'm not certain what score OP is referring to out of 900, looks like there's a couple I've found on Google, like auto-specific scores, vantagescore 2.0, etc.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't checked mine lately. The last time it was checked was a couple of years ago when I bought my car and it was in the upper 700's.

I always pay bills on time but never received a couple of medical bills from a surgery years ago. Since I never saw the bills, I didn't pay them. The two bills totaled less than $100 and my credit score went down for seven years because they turned me over to a collection agency. I think FICO scores are a racket if that's all it takes to drag my score down because I really am conscientious about paying bills on time and always have been.

I should probably check just to make sure someone isn't using my identity but I can't figure out how to get my free score either. The commercials that advertise "free credit scores" are false. Obtaining your credit report is free. Getting your FICO score is not free.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
iluvshinythings|1465916679|4043848 said:
I should probably check just to make sure someone isn't using my identity but I can't figure out how to get my free score either. The commercials that advertise "free credit scores" are false. Obtaining your credit report is free. Getting your FICO score is not free.

If you have a Discover card, you can check your FICO for free at anytime. CreditKarma will give you A credit score for free, but it's not your official FICO score. It's typically close though, so better than nothing if you're just monitoring for fraud purposes.

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
Not good..but I've been laid off from every job I've ever had in addition to the recession, not being allowed to consolidate our debts, etc. We're slowly getting back on our feet but it's taken us a long time to get to where we are now ever.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1465916409|4043846 said:

You are correct. FICO stops at 850. There are some other credit evaluations that may go higher, but the traditional, everyday FICO stops at 850. I'm not certain what score OP is referring to out of 900, looks like there's a couple I've found on Google, like auto-specific scores, vantagescore 2.0, etc.

The score I am referring to was obtained from Citibank who state it is a Vantage score (still a real FICO). FICO offers a separate scoring model for credit cards that helps banks better target customers for the unique demands of a credit score. That score ranges from 250-900 rather than the 300 to 850 range, and Citi has decided to let consumers see the very score they use.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I figured OP was talking about Vantage Scores.

There's various FICO score models out there, one thats most used is 8. I stick with one as the scoring can be different for Fako (CreditKarma), FICO and Vantage. Along with Fico 8 there's 5 and 9 (I believe 5 is used for mortgages) Most credit cards use one or the other. Discover, Amex use FICO 8. Capital One uses Vantage.

I take very little stock in Vantage as its not widely used. For banks, 99% of them still use your FICO score to give you a card or mortgage. I've never heard of one using vantage as of yet.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ but the free credit reports do not include FICO scores, right?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1465927114|4043928 said:
sonnyjane|1465916409|4043846 said:

The score I am referring to was obtained from Citibank who state it is a Vantage score (still a real FICO). FICO offers a separate scoring model for credit cards that helps banks better target customers for the unique demands of a credit score. That score ranges from 250-900 rather than the 300 to 850 range, and Citi has decided to let consumers see the very score they use.

I just checked my FICO at Citibank and it was 87x/900. It also said that my score was lowered because 1 - no recent installment loans (paid cash for our car) and 2 - too few accounts (just use VISA, Costco AMEX (soon to be VISA), and MC). Use two other MCs and Discover just once a year just to keep them active. Also don't have a mortgage because I paid my house off 8 years ago. Oh well :lol:

Btw, just zeroed out my Costco AMEX early because their big conversion is the night of 6/19 (used to manage multi-million dollar software engineering projects and know that they don't always go to plan).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1465930878|4043949 said:
^ but the free credit reports do not include FICO scores, right?
Depends on the Bureau. I did one couple of years ago before I started the current round of active myFico monitoring which included a FICO score, it was Experian. Trans Union I honestly can't remember. Equifax, I don't remember either. Most banks I've worked with pull EX or TU, very few seem to pull EQ. The ONLY reason why I do the monitoring now is because we're buying another house. I otherwise wouldn't bother. (he bought the last one so its my turn)

Its still good to get the reports to compare, you'd be amazed how one can have stuff that the other doesn't. About 8 years ago my files merged with someone of the same name. Only way I knew was all of a sudden I was getting all kinds of funky letters saying I was denied credit. So I pulled the reports...it took me nearly a year to get all three bureaus on the same page (that chick has some terrible credit!!) which was quite the flustercluck from hell!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I've never taken a loan out for anything, so I had no idea what my credit score was until I signed up for mint.com a couple of months ago and I think it was 790-something. I've only had 3 cars in my life and paid cash for all of them. Our house mortgage is only in my DH's name, so they never pulled my credit for that, nor am I on the loan (I am on the title). We don't plan on ever taking out a loan for anything other than the house, so hopefully I'll never need credit.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1465919544|4043855 said:
iluvshinythings|1465916679|4043848 said:

If you have a Discover card, you can check your FICO for free at anytime. CreditKarma will give you A credit score for free, but it's not your official FICO score. It's typically close though, so better than nothing if you're just monitoring for fraud purposes.

I don't have a Discover card but will try CreditKarma since it's close. Thanks for the tip!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh our score went below 800 this past month due to refinancing of our home to a shorter loan. It actually says "your real estate loan balance is too high compared to loan amount." It will come back up soon though and we don't plan on getting any more credit or loans for a good long while.

Retirement in less than 30 days!!!! :D

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewEnglandLady|1465937596|4043993 said:
I've never taken a loan out for anything, so I had no idea what my credit score was until I signed up for mint.com a couple of months ago and I think it was 790-something. I've only had 3 cars in my life and paid cash for all of them. Our house mortgage is only in my DH's name, so they never pulled my credit for that, nor am I on the loan (I am on the title). We don't plan on ever taking out a loan for anything other than the house, so hopefully I'll never need credit.

How do you get a credit score if you never use credit?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1465933221|4043960 said:
I just checked my FICO at Citibank and it was 87x/900. It also said that my score was lowered because 1 - no recent installment loans (paid cash for our car) and 2 - too few accounts (just use VISA, Costco AMEX (soon to be VISA), and MC). Use two other MCs and Discover just once a year just to keep them active. Also don't have a mortgage because I paid my house off 8 years ago. Oh well :lol:

Btw, just zeroed out my Costco AMEX early because their big conversion is the night of 6/19 (used to manage multi-million dollar software engineering projects and know that they don't always go to plan).

Just checked my FICO score on Discover and it is 84x/850 so obviously they are different.

On my last statement it says 800 - 850 is exceptional borrower, 740 - 799 is very dependable, 670 - 739 average and considered good,
580 - 669 some lenders will approve, 300 - 579 very risky borrower. Btw. I had charged $1.67 on the last statement. :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is 770-780 depending on which agency. I think part of it not being higher is because I haven't used credit for very long, and also we are paying of DH's student loans, car loans, house loans (ugh). But overall I'm happy with it, and we've never had difficulties with it.

Also annoying is that I think it went down slightly because of "hard inquiries", but that was a necessary part of buying a house.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1465943662|4044064 said:
NewEnglandLady|1465937596|4043993 said:

How do you get a credit score if you never use credit?

I got a credit card back in 2000 (when I was in college) that I don't use.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly recommend downloading the free app CreditKarma. You can check your weekly updated credit score from two of the big three, FOR FREE. They are soft updates, so they don't harm your credit to check. I've been obsessed with increasing mine since I graduated from my masters program, and work full-time (well, more than full-time for now).

I joined in voting but don't feel comfortable discussing more than that so publicly.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Mine isn't great. My credit limit isn't high, but I've paid it off every month.

My issue is I've never had rent in my name, a car in my name, or a house in my name. So, I've paid everything off that I've borrowed, but I've never really taken out loans besides borrowing from Visa.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results