shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the norm in jewelry stores re photos of ring on hand?

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
I was just told I can't take one. I'm wanting to show my partner options (shopping on my lunch break)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: What's the norm in jewelry stores re photos of ring on h

There is no norm. It's a private business and they can do whatever they want. Many won't care. Many will. If it is important to you call ahead and ask them what their policies are before you visit.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I agree with Gypsy- and also to add- WTH?
Why not let you take a pic?
Unless they are trying to protect some sort of exclusive style, I have a hard time understanding what the downside is. They should be jumping through every hoop to earn your business- instead of putting up arbitrary obstacles.
Besides that- there's a potential upside- maybe you have a gazillion twitter followers.....
My .02

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock

Not a special design, it was a round with tapered baguettes which is certainly not unique! Anyway just a little confusion, as I see many pics of rings in jewelry stores on here. The next shop said 'please do' when I asked if I could take a picture :)

HockeyChick

Rough_Rock

I've been in...~15 jewelry stores in the past month, trying on rings. The first 14 are all well documented by my iPhone, even some videos. That includes Harry Winston and a couple other higher end stores. Then today I went into a nicer mall store (not a chain) and there were signs in every display case telling you not to photograph their pieces. They carried up to 10ct rings and I saw some price tags over $300k. So because of the signs, I did not take any...but it was the first time I came across that. So I'd say it's unusual but it happens.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Rockdiamond|1448426219|3953884 said:
WTH?
Why not let you take a pic?
Unless they are trying to protect some sort of exclusive style, I have a hard time understanding what the downside is. They should be jumping through every hoop to earn your business- instead of putting up arbitrary obstacles.
Besides that- there's a potential upside- maybe you have a gazillion twitter followers.....
My .02

I know, right???

I agree. It's a self defeating policy in the age of the internet anyway. Most designs are in high resolution on the net anyway.

What I think is interesting is that some stores will allow pictures, but only if they take them. (Some bridal shops too).

I think that no matter how they do it, they should allow it. But I respect their right not to. It's their business.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Perhaps some stores are concerned about anyone photographing their security gizmos.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

kenny|1448438148|3953936 said:
Perhaps some stores are concerned about anyone photographing their security gizmos.

Interesting. That might be why some of insist they have to take the pictures themselves.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

That makes sense. It could be a security issue for some stores.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Gypsy|1448435030|3953929 said:
It's a self defeating policy in the age of the internet anyway. Most designs are in high resolution on the net anyway.

This.

Correct.

Like many businesses across all sectors, those in the jewelry industry holding on to policies which were developed before the advent of social media/mobile internet access will find themselves becoming obsolete.

The security angle is an interesting thought though. I can understand if the say, "you are welcome to a picture of the diamond, but our sales associate must take the photo" or something similar.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This seems strange to me. One if my nieces just got engaged. I was helping her fiancé pick out a diamond. The jeweler bent over backwards trying to help me get a good picture to send him.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rockinruby|1448471125|3954065 said:

This sounds like some sort of plausible excuse- but still....
This is 2015, the bad guys know there's security cameras.
I really can't envision the sort of crime they are protecting against....

To me it's just another reason B&M jewelers are a vanishing breed.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rockdiamond|1448656839|3954729 said:
Rockinruby|1448471125|3954065 said:

This sounds like some sort of plausible excuse- but still....
This is 2015, the bad guys know there's security cameras.
I really can't envision the sort of crime they are protecting against....

To me it's just another reason B&M jewelers are a vanishing breed.
RD,
I love it when the stars align and we are in complete agreement. :wink2:

Last time I checked the year is 2015 and everybody has a camera in their hand and they take pictures of everything the see, do or consume.

If a bad guy is casing your store, they will do it with a body cam, not with an iphone and asking permission.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

I just upgraded. I went into numerous shop and took photographs- not only of loose diamonds I was considering purchasing, but settings as well. I possibly have mild OCD (lol, but true). I had to study rings on my hand for quite a while till I was able to narrow down exactly what I wanted. Nobody else's hand would have worked, lol!

I was in several high and stores, many medium, and probably a couple lower end. No one ever gave me a hard time. Lots of pics taken :)

Boy, it would have rubbed me wayyyyy wrong. I think I remember it being the same way when trying on wedding dresses? No pics? I remember sneaking a couple for my friend :) Each store has the right to choose their own policies. Can't argue there.

Who knows. I don't even understand the big deal bc pics of most rings can be found on the internet nowadays (unless custom & the designer wishes to protect his/her work from being duplicated). May as well be able to look at the rings on your hand for a possible future sale for the store. My memory stinks. Some of the stores were over an hour drive one way. I had to have pics :) I still would have purchased whatever ring I wanted even if I wasn't allowed to take pictures. It surely would have helped the process immensely. I studied those pics!

Interesting thread :)

GL OP

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

HockeyChick|1448434830|3953927 said:
. They carried up to 10ct rings and I saw some price tags over $300k
OMG!! :drool:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results