shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s the deal with this EC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think those are ECs, they look more like baguettes since they don't have the cut corners. I've never seen diamonds that dark before. I believe it is the combination of lighting and even possibly a reflection of the photographer. I've never heard about Leon picking poor or badly cut stones before and I doubt he does.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 1:25:28 PM
Author:kellyfish
Is this a reflection on the EC in the Leon M. setting? Is this just the way some EC''s respond to certain lighting situations?

www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=217
are you still thinking about the pattern in YOUR stone? I would recommend posting pictures of your stone with like "question about an asscher" in the subject and see what storm and others have to say....

dani13

Ideal_Rock
That's definitely not an EC- agree with Chrono- those are baguettes.

Most likely the darkness you see is a result of bad photography lighting, not lack of brilliance in the stones themselves.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Yes Cehra, you are good!! Actually, my ring is en route to an independent appraiser (Jennifer Macleod of Mobile AL--found her on this site) as we speak. I did post a thread on it, but it is still really bugging me. Well, it SHOULD be bugging me--I spent $15k on the ring--which is the most I''ve ever spent on any kind of luxury item. Anyway, I''ll post back regarding my stone when I get more info from her in a couple of days.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I recall the thread - is it the one where Storm called the pattern a "drop asscher"?

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
that''s the one....I think I named it "asscher help!"

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this is really bothering you, would the word of an appraiser really set your mind and heart at ease if the report came back as a very good asscher? I understand the pain of plunking $$$ and then feeling bad when you aren''t 100% in love or have doubts about the stone. Are you still within the return period? If you are, how about looking around some more? It seems like you aren''t in love with this particular pattern on your asscher.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I looked at your old thread on Asschers and I think what you''re describing in yours is a combo of

#1 "head obstruction" ... when you look directly at a stone, ANY stone, well-cut or not - your own head blocks the light & casts a shadow into the stone

and

#2 being a "drop style" asscher. Which is not "bad" per se AT ALL!!! It''s a type of look no better or worse than any other type. A matter of personal preference -- just like some folks like crushed ice looking Cushions & some want chunky facet cushions ... ya know??

I have a "drop style" asscher and love it - because the center is clean & bold & not as busy as the more "stepped" asschers - including Royal Asschers.

Have a hunch the appraiser isn''t gonna tell you much you don''t already know ... most aren''t experts on the Asscher cut anyway & will give opinions on color, clarity etc -- but not "Cut Quality" as we talk about a lot on Pricescope. She may tell you if she thinks it''s an especially POOR cut - but "Cut Quality" on Asschers is so darn tricky - almost NO ONE has a true test. Excepting of course Stmdr - who believe in his own critera whole-heartedly!
2.gif
1.gif

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono,

The "drop dead" date on the stone is next Tuesday. I want to keep my stone if it is a good stone--but I don't want to keep a stone that I don't feel proud of. None of my friends would know the difference between a good stone and a bad one, but now that I've been reading all the posts on this site I WOULD. I really like boxy emerald cuts--not necessarily asschers--so having a stone that does not resemble a RA is not an issue to me. Having one with a big bow-tie would be an issue to me. I guess I'm thread-jacking my own thread here....but this is what I mean....2 different views of the stone.....pics are crummy and don't do it justice, however.....

This one without the effect...

different view.jpg

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
this one with the effect.....See what I mean? But you are right... I have to decide either to keep her or not.......

bowtie2.jpg

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks deco!!! I appreciate your post!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
After seeing those two pix I''m even more convinced you''re reacting to head obstruction. But if anyone disagrees with me, please weigh in!

Asschers are slippery little critters. Every angle they look different -- even the VERY VERY "BEST" cut ones -- which is still a matter of opinion.

It''s possible that if you don''t like this one you might not like ANY asschers. That the cut, in reality, in practice, in normal-viewing situations - is not the one that makes your heart sing.

What people like in concept or in unmoving, 2D PICTURES can be different than what they like in 3-D life. **shrug**

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with Deco, especially after seeing both pictures. I strongly believe the 2nd picture has head obstruction, hence more shadowing showing in the center. Just like the stepcut ECs, the look will change as the diamond is tilted, and what you are seeing is very normal. As Deco mentioned in her post, it is possible that you don''t like this effect and it may mean that this cut is not suited to your taste. Personally, I think the cut looks FAB.
30.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's a photo that appeared recently in the Celeb Bling thread --- it's an asscher earring as worn by Eva Longoria ..

Seeing Asschers photographed by jewelers etc - in "perfect" positions -- designed to bestflatter the cut ... it's SOOOOOOOO different than how Asschers look in "real life"

Even Liz Hurley's 13 carat monster takes some unflattering pix ... they're so, so, so, so, so, so TRICKY!
3.gif
9.gif

EvaAsscheraear.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
some really hate bowties but to me they''re just reflectors.... sometimes they reflect your head, your camera.... other times they reflect the bright pink shirt or green walls... they are THE favorite facets on my stone. does it ever reflect pretty colors?

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Well, here''s how it went-- when I bought the stone I thought it was sooo beautiful--h, vs1 (large table--but nice spread
11.gif
) without a hint of detectable yellow to me. I saw the shadowing in certain lights, and thought it was a very pretty optical illusion. Then i started reading all the posts about asschers and started getting paranoid "do I have a woofer and not realize it?" "is the shadow a dreaded bowtie?" So, I think a little knowlege is dangerous in my case!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelly,
Your asscher is not a woofer. I think it is gorgeous! If you don't want it anymore, I'll more than gladly provide a home for the poor orphan on my finger.
11.gif

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ladies!!!! You have made me feel 100% better
30.gif
I absolutely appreciate all of your patience and input. I will post a thread when I get the appraisal.

Thaks again!!!

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
Edit: Sorry Kellyfish, saw you effectively closed the thread as I was composing and posted the below!!

Perhaps, since your diamond has a larger table, the "drop" style of the asscher is more emphasized, i.e. takes up more of the face. Therefore you have a larger part of the face dark, since that is the drop style. Hopefully, someone will jump in if I'm wrong.

If the above is true, then I don't think you necessariily need to give up on Asscher's all together! It's just this particular style, with a larger table, that you're not quite happy with. It may be it's a style that just needs a lil getting used to.

I personally love Drop style asschers, but its all about personal preference.

Too bad Asscher's are pretty rare, but if you live near a major diamond/jewelry district maybe you could hop over and look at other asschers? This could help put your feelings in perspective about step cuts and your particular diamond. The experience could reaffirm that you made the right choice with your diamond or that you don't like asschers at all!

You have a beautiful ring, and I wish you the best of luck with your decision!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 3:15:24 PM
Author: kellyfish
Well, here''s how it went-- when I bought the stone I thought it was sooo beautiful--h, vs1 (large table--but nice spread
11.gif
) without a hint of detectable yellow to me. I saw the shadowing in certain lights, and thought it was a very pretty optical illusion. Then i started reading all the posts about asschers and started getting paranoid ''do I have a woofer and not realize it?'' ''is the shadow a dreaded bowtie?'' So, I think a little knowlege is dangerous in my case!
asschers dont have bowties.. they have contrast patterns and contrast patterns is what makes an asscher an asscher.
If someone dont like contrast patterns an asscher isnt for them.
They cant be eliminated or it isnt an asscher.
From there it becomes a question of what type of contrast patterns do you like?
Size of the stone makes a big difference also.
a 4ct drop style asscher is going to be too dark.
a 1ct multi-step will look too busy too many people without enough contrast.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 2:53:10 PM
Author: Chrono
I have to agree with Deco, especially after seeing both pictures. I strongly believe the 2nd picture has head obstruction, hence more shadowing showing in the center. Just like the stepcut ECs, the look will change as the diamond is tilted, and what you are seeing is very normal. As Deco mentioned in her post, it is possible that you don't like this effect and it may mean that this cut is not suited to your taste. Personally, I think the cut looks FAB.
30.gif
yep
Well said.

It is usualy mostly head shadow that causes the patterns combined with some leakage at times.
At arms lenth a well cut asscher will actualy often be brighter at 15 degrees tilt than face up a lot of the time.
Its the charm and the nature of the cut.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks strmrdr. I think I can give myself permission to love my stone again (unless something really whacky happens at the appraiser). How''s that for a Pricescope Group Therapy breakthrough? Now, can anyone talk me down from my desire to start looking for a huge oval to feed my new addiction to sparkly ice?
25.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kellyfish,

We have very similar stones (2.2 carat asscher, H, VVS2) and I have the same "drop" effect on mine. Like you, it bothered me a bit at first as well, because it was so different from the "white light" effect I have with my RB, and also, I didn''t notice it under the "magic lights" at the jewelry store. However, after seeing so many asschers on here, and in other pics, I realize that that''s just a characteristic of most asschers. in fact, the ones that don''t seem to have it are usually more shallow in depth, and not quite as sparkly. I understand that sometimes it''s enough to make you wish you got a brilliant cut - in my case, a square radiant or princess (especially when looking at all the "diamond ****" on PS ;-), but I get so many compliments on my asscher when people see it in person that it launches me right back into reality. And actually, a friend of mine who got engaged a few months after me got an asscher too after admiring mine, so I guess it shows that the the uniqueness of our stones makes up for the different type of sparkle :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results