shape
carat
color
clarity

what''s the cheapest diamond shape?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond916

Rough_Rock
any thoughts?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ovals marquise and pears all cost less per carat than rounds... yet have similar spread... so if you are looking at if in terms of cost for spread... they are the best value. Cushions, emerald cuts, asscher also cost less per carat than rounds, however since they don''t have great spread... they don''t present the same value.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Just a guess, Marquise?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 11:00:30 PM
Author: Ann
Just a guess, Marquise?

that would be my guess as well..

Diamond916

Rough_Rock
why aren''t marquis a little bit cheaper? I think they look pretty good actually.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
are you asking why marquise diamonds are the cheapest? I guess i''m confused as to what exactly is your question.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 10:50:00 PM
Author: Gypsy
ovals marquise and pears all cost less per carat than rounds... yet have similar spread... so if you are looking at if in terms of cost for spread... they are the best value. Cushions, emerald cuts, asscher also cost less per carat than rounds, however since they don''t have great spread... they don''t present the same value.
My cushion was a steal and it is spot on for spread. Cushions can be all over the place though - really spendy or total bargains. They also can be spread stingy or spread slu... um - spready. Some are VERY shallow and face up HUGE for their weight and others are the opposite. It is a totally unregulated cut - you have to go in fully prepared.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2007 11:17:37 PM
Author: mrssalvo
are you asking why marquise diamonds are the cheapest? I guess i'm confused as to what exactly is your question.
Me too. If you want help finding a stone, just tell us. We'll be happy to help. Give us your budget, your parameters and we can go from there. Just remember CUT is key, no matter what the shape.
2.gif

Diamond916

Rough_Rock
sorry...i meant to say why are marquis cheaper...they actually look kinda nice.

Diamond916

Rough_Rock
Thanks for helping. Right now I am just looking, but around sept, oct i will be purchasing for sure because I plan to propose in Decemberish. When the time comes...i will be posting questions in full force...be prepared
1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
they are rather out of fashion. but a nice marq is really something.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/21/2007 10:50:00 PM
Author: Gypsy
Ovals, Marquise and pears are not always less valuable per carat vs. rounds... It depends a lot on the size, cut-quality and quantities needed.

For example... try purchasing 10 Marquise shaped Diamonds that weigh 0.20 ct. each and are 6.00x3.00mm. in size, and then compare them to the same quality and weight in rounds..., you might be surprised knowing you will pay significantly more for the Marquise!!! And that is only one example out of tons!!!

BTW, the same can go for other straight edged Diamonds!!!

In some instances, rounds are significantly less expensive than Fancy Shapes.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The ONLY way you will know you have a true baragain is through knowledge of the market and the color, clarity and cut quality. You can very readily fall victim to misrepresentation of quality or to a poorly cut diamond, both of which create false "bargain" appearances.

It is far better to shop for a very well cut, and properly described diamond which fits your budget until you recognize one particular stone as a best value. It may not seem the very least costly, but it will be the best one for you.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/22/2007 5:52:30 AM
Author: oldminer
The ONLY way you will know you have a true baragain is through knowledge of the market and the color, clarity and cut quality. You can very readily fall victim to misrepresentation of quality or to a poorly cut diamond, both of which create false ''bargain'' appearances.

It is far better to shop for a very well cut, and properly described diamond which fits your budget until you recognize one particular stone as a best value. It may not seem the very least costly, but it will be the best one for you.
Nicely put Dave.

The best deal is not the one that promises the most for the least. It''s the one that delivers what you want for the lowest cost. These are rarely the same.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 9:04:45 AM
Author: denverappraiser

Date: 2/22/2007 5:52:30 AM
Author: oldminer
The ONLY way you will know you have a true baragain is through knowledge of the market and the color, clarity and cut quality. You can very readily fall victim to misrepresentation of quality or to a poorly cut diamond, both of which create false ''bargain'' appearances.

Nicely put Dave.

The best deal is not the one that promises the most for the least. It''s the one that delivers what you want for the lowest cost. These are rarely the same.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
oh, that is so well stated! and, yes, the two are rarely the same.

movie zombie

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 1:08:42 AM
Author: Diamond916
sorry...i meant to say why are marquis cheaper...they actually look kinda nice.
The rough they are cut from is some what cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results