shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats the best setting for non perfetly round diamonds?

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
So I have a diamond that is supposed to be round, but under a loupe its defiantly not perfectly round. It's between being an Old Mine cut and an old European cut. It will be set in a man's ring, but here is the problem. I dont like prongs and most settings for men seem to be flush gypsy setting or bezel. I like the flush look actually, but can that be down with a not so perfectly round diamond?

I watched a video of someone setting stones in a gold ring, after he set the diamond into place, he had a special tool that looked like it pushed some of the gold over the rim of the diamond to hold it into place. So I was wondering, can someone like that hid the imperfections with that method or would it just fallow the outline of the stone making it look uneven?

How do most people deal with antique stones that are unevenly cut?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A bezel can disguise some irregularities in a way a flush setting can't - more metal to work with. Alternately, belcher settings are traditionally masculine, and depending on the number of prongs, can help to mask asymmetry ....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a belcher will mask asymmetry better than a bezel. I have a bezeled OEC and found that it highlights its off-roundness.

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
Hm, good points. So maybe its not the prongs that is throwing me but the small number of them. The repetition of the belcher setting around the stone creates its on circular patter which fools the eye.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1412685573|3763551 said:
I think a belcher will mask asymmetry better than a bezel. I have a bezeled OEC and found that it highlights its off-roundness.

Chrono, it depends on who does the bezel, and how ... you can shape the metal around a round to give it the illusion of a squared off, cushion shape, you can definitely shape or file a rough oval into a circle! But most jewelers won't do it automatically - you have to ask explicitly. I think the assumption is simplicity first.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure what they're called but there are so,e I have seen recently with really " stubby" prongs that give the illusion of a bezel. I will try to find a picture tomorrow and post. Sleepy time calls. :)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an example of what I was referencing. Not sure how off-round it is, but it might be a little less obvious in something like this (head) ... :confused: What is the size of the diamond?

_23087.jpg

_23165.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results