shape
carat
color
clarity

What''''s the average diamond size where you live?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 2:23:35 PM
Author: ebonykawai
In western NY (near Niagara Falls), I don''t notice a lot diamonds.
39.gif
I''d say the average has to be around 0.50 - 0.75ct, if at all. I did see a gorgeous, what looked to be 2-3ct. diamond on the hand of a lady working at Burger King, but alas, ''twas a very nice CZ.

Diamondfan, what''s the Main Line?
Isn''t Niagara Falls the honeymoon capital of the world? It seems like you''d see diamonds all the time!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ebony, the Main Line is a group of small suburban towns outside the city of Philadelphia...

sparklefan

Rough_Rock
Very interesting topic! I live in Ohio and the average e-ring diamond size is probably in the .5 to .75 carat range. The few 1.5+ carat rings I occasionally see are on middle-aged to older women.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in the southeast in a small town. Here, most diamonds are under 1 ct., with some exceptions, of course. If I go to a nice mall in a nearby large city, I see many more stones closer to the 1.5- 2 ct. range. The women in my family all have .75 to 1.25, except now I have a 1.6. I won't go larger because it would be too much for the people I am around. I'd still be happy with a 1.4 or so, and I could still do that if I wanted by upgrading color.

(Oh, and for the record, I qualify as one of those middle aged women.
2.gif
The diamond I received at age 21 was 1 ct.)

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 2:02:38 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
I have no idea - every time I see a big beautiful ring I compliment the owner and they blurt out its fake
41.gif

I''d say in real diamonds, under a carat.

That''s hillarious!!! I think we live in twin cities, Cehra! I think the average around here is about 3/4 carat. A lot of times women upgrade by getting a lot of side stones in a new setting, or they get a 3 stone or something for the right hand.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I also live in a small town in the southeast. I not see a lot of large diamonds and many of them don''t seem to be very well cut. Recently, a local jeweler started to carry HOF. He is the only fine jeweler within about an hour of where I live. It was seeing the HOF line that eventually brought me to Pricescope and my own upgrade to an 1.234 ct ACA in a HOF semi-mount. Because of the size and cut, I''ve been getting a lot of comments along the "wow" line since my sparkler made her appearance. The 1.234 faces up like a 1.30 on my 4.5 finger. Now if we were closer to D.C. area, things would, no doubt, be different.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 2:02:38 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
I have no idea - every time I see a big beautiful ring I compliment the owner and they blurt out its fake
41.gif

I'd say in real diamonds, under a carat.

That is too funny!!!

Where is live I see lots of 1 carats.

My neighbors put me to shame; about 6 ladies have approx 3 carats (they are about 20 yrs older than me though)! I hope to someday be like them

31.gif
31.gif

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Good question.. I also live in Mass, 20 minutes to Worcester, 20 minutes to Springfield and about 50 minutes to Boston. I would say the average out here is about a carat. It seems like the older generations have smaller ones and the newly engaged are a carat and up. It realy does vary from town to town. In the nicer more upscale towns over a carat is common...

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I live in a suburb of San Diego. It''s all over the board here, just like it is in most places, I would guess. In my suburb I would say that the average is 1 ct. What you see depends on where you work and spend your free time. Amongst my friends and family, who are spread across the state of CA I would say that .75 is about average.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I'm about 45 minutes south of Boston in an affluent area and wherever I go, I see mostly under 1 ct stones. Alot of .5-.75 solitaires. I'm amazed at the lack of variety I see. My aunt has a 2ct pear that is the biggest I have seen anyone wear. My circle puts more money into their houses and cars and vacations and could care less about jewelry. They don't even notice if I'm wearing something new
39.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I'd guess .5 to .75 on avg. I'm in a small town in the SE.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 9:23:08 PM
Author: Harriet
How do you tell the difference between a CZ and a diamond? I got accused of wearing a CZ!
23.gif
Just be ready with a good comeback like, "everything I have is real."
2.gif

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
I''m in The Woodlands, a nice suburb of Houston, and I do see quite a large variety but I''d say around 1.0 - 1.50 is average although I see some 2-3 carats from time to time on older women or younger women married to older men. I have a 1.09 carat RB with pave halo and bands (Danhov E1 from James Allen) and EVERYWHERE I go people comment on it- it''s just a very unusual ring for where I live, where it''s more common to have a RB solitaire on a plain shank, perhaps with a seven stone wedding band. I also know quite a few people who have the wedding sets from the mall, you know, the kind that fit together.

Kind of funny- we have a new girl at work and she asked to see my rings. I showed and she said, "Ooh, that''s so different, I bet you''re the only person in the world who wanted that ring."
29.gif
I took it with a grain of salt but thought, nope, there''s quite a few of us "weirdos" out there!!
20.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif

Date: 3/12/2007 11:03:41 PM
Author: chickflick
I''m in The Woodlands, a nice suburb of Houston, and I do see quite a large variety but I''d say around 1.0 - 1.50 is average although I see some 2-3 carats from time to time on older women or younger women married to older men. I have a 1.09 carat RB with pave halo and bands (Danhov E1 from James Allen) and EVERYWHERE I go people comment on it- it''s just a very unusual ring for where I live, where it''s more common to have a RB solitaire on a plain shank, perhaps with a seven stone wedding band. I also know quite a few people who have the wedding sets from the mall, you know, the kind that fit together.

Kind of funny- we have a new girl at work and she asked to see my rings. I showed and she said, ''Ooh, that''s so different, I bet you''re the only person in the world who wanted that ring.''
29.gif
I took it with a grain of salt but thought, nope, there''s quite a few of us ''weirdos'' out there!!
20.gif

All I can think is that they must be jealous.
14.gif
Your ring is gorgeous!!!
30.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Justjulia,
Good one (though that might invite comments on my you-know-whats
2.gif
).

Chickflick,
How rude!

I live on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, and my ring doesn't warrant a second glance. Hope I don't sound snotty.
17.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I''m in OC and usually see stones between 1 and 4 carats. There are many ladies that have been married a long time and never upgraded their 1 ct. marquise or rb. There are also lots that have. My kids'' school it is a HUGE bling fest. My ring at 1.2 cts (2 ctw) is in the smaller range for sure. All of my girlfriends are in their early to mid 30s and have center stones in the 1 - 2 range, though...We''re all waiting patiently for the kids to grow up a little and then......Watch out husbands!!!!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
In Portland, OR in general I see a lot of rings under 1 carat. But in the affluent suburb where I live, I see a TON of 2, 3, and 4 carat honkers. Of course, we have the highest concentration of CEOs & NBA players in this town...so no surprise there. The thing that amazes me is that most of the ladies wearing big rings are in their early 30s....so its not like its ladies who''ve been married a long time.

Now I live in one of the old historic areas, so in this part, where you have 100 year old homes, you see very few large diamond rings. I''m at the top in my neighborhood at over a carat. And most of the folks in this area can definitely afford more, its just they either choose not to or are putting $$ into fixing up old homes. (an expensive hobby as obsessive as diamonds...but with a better return I guess....I''m guilty of it myself).

I long for a 2carat. Ah well..

Jeannine

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree with the others, chickflick...that girl was RUDE.

You know I live like 10 minutes from the woodlands and I used to run a restaurant up there
(by sterling ridge shopping center), and it seemed like there were SO many rude people compared to other areas. (I''m totally generalizing...I''m sure the nice people outnumber the snotty ones) But its part of the reason we shut down that location and moved elsewhere. No joke. Man the stories I could tell you.... thats for another thread though. lol.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 11:29:51 PM
Author: Harriet
Justjulia,
Good one (though that might invite comments on my you-know-whats
2.gif
).

Chickflick,
How rude!

I live on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, and my ring doesn''t warrant a second glance. Hope I don''t sound snotty.
17.gif
Harriet, you tickle me.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 5:03:15 PM
Author: Lynn B
I live in rural NW Pennsylvania, and the usual ring I see is a yellow gold marquise shape solitaire, about .50 carat weight, usually with a YG channel set diamond band, maybe .10 tcw? I am not kidding you, there are so many rings like that around here, it''s a little bizarre to me! I also see a lot of those 5-stone graduating size marquise rings... maybe .50 - .75(ish?) tcw.

Although - on the younger girls, I do see some 1 carat (plus or minus a little) RBs in white metal.
Lynn, I remember seeing before that you live in NW PA, and I was curious about where you''re from. I grew up in NW PA, but I live near Philly now. Most of my family still lives in the area though. If you don''t want to say where you''re from, that''s fine. (My family lives near Meadville.)

Sorry about the thread hijack!

jfan

Rough_Rock
I live in the Gramercy area of Manhattan and, to be honest, it seems that everyone''s rings here are HUGE. I''m talking like 2 carat minimum on girls my age (30) and up. Most have super blingy sets, too. Whenever I go to the Whole Foods in Chelsea it is a serious bling fest. I told my husband that we have to change markets so I can avoid "bling envy!"

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I live in a suburb of Washington DC, and the ring size average is between 1 - 2 carats. Among professionals here, it''s more like 2 - 3 carats. It''s a very expensive area to live, to the salaries are commesurately high. When we got engaged, my husband went with the 2-month salary guideline, which got me a 2.2 ct solitaire. Most of my friends have rings with a 1.5 - 2.5 carat center stone. I grew up in NY and the rings there were even bigger - 2 - 3 carats easliy.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 7:05:04 AM
Author: coda72

Lynn, I remember seeing before that you live in NW PA, and I was curious about where you're from. I grew up in NW PA, but I live near Philly now. Most of my family still lives in the area though. If you don't want to say where you're from, that's fine. (My family lives near Meadville.)

Sorry about the thread hijack!
Coda,
I don't mind at all! We live in Seneca now, but until 2005 we had lived in Franklin for years. We go to Meadville A LOT, especially on our way to Erie. My husband used to work at Lubiniecki Welding & Supply. Small world, huh?!
2.gif

Lynn

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Woooo, I live in ohio and the average is around .50-.75... I too see alot of marquise cuts in yellow gold but on young girls I see princess in white (channel set band). WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I''m originally from the boston area and I saw, among people my age, .75 - 1.25 carat rings, although my best friend''s is about 1.6. Mine''s in the middle, at about 1ct.

My mom''s friends all have 1.5-2 ct rings, probably upgrades from their originals, and some sport major bling like 2ctw diamond earrings, gorgeous diamond bracelets.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 9:46:09 PM
Author:sap483
So I was talking to my cousin who lives in the OC, and she was telling me how everyone she works with has these gigantic e-rings. She has a 2.5ct and she says it''s somehow starting to look small compared to her co-workers. Seems like the trend is 3+ cts. This got me thinking, how big would you guess the average e-ring diamond is where you live? I''ll start it off. I live in Boston, and I would say that from most of the ppl I know, the average would be somewhere around 1.5, maybe even between 1.5 and 2ct.
I find that hard to believe. I live in "THE OC", about 1 mile from where the Real Housewives of OC live, and I even go to the same Gym as Slade (hehe). Anyhoo, I''d say the majorty of the people I see around at parks, shopping malls, grocery stores have rings averaging about 1.5ct. This is already a pretty high average IMO. If I went to other parts of OC, I rarely see anything over 1ct.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... I find this is a really hard question to answer... it''s so dependent on A) the people I''m around most often, and B) what I tend to notice more!

Of my recently engaged friends (mostly in the Northeast US), e-rings range from .5 to 2ct... but most are within 1-1.5ct. Of my mom''s friends, most are less than 1ct (their original e-rings)... but they make up for it with blingy bracelets, pendants, RHRs, etc.

I live in an affluent part of Philadelphia, so occasionally a 3ct+ e-ring will catch my eye while shopping or out to eat (or in the players'' wives section of the Flyers games!)... but I wouldn''t say it''s the norm, necessarily.

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 12:21:32 AM
Author: luckystar112
Totally agree with the others, chickflick...that girl was RUDE.

You know I live like 10 minutes from the woodlands and I used to run a restaurant up there
(by sterling ridge shopping center), and it seemed like there were SO many rude people compared to other areas. (I''m totally generalizing...I''m sure the nice people outnumber the snotty ones) But its part of the reason we shut down that location and moved elsewhere. No joke. Man the stories I could tell you.... thats for another thread though. lol.
I just don''t get it. It''s a nice area but c''mon, it''s not Beverly Hills or anything! I work for a large consulting firm that''s within The Woodlands so that''s why we live here now- it''s so close to work. We plan to move not too far but away from The Woodlands itself when we have kids for that very reason. Not everyone is rude, certainly, but there are enough snots to make me not want my children growing up thinking that kind of behavior is OK.

Sorry, didn''t mean to highjack the thread! Thanks so much for everyone who defended my ring.
emwink.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 2:15:15 PM
Author: jaysonsmom

Date: 3/12/2007 9:46:09 PM
Author:sap483
So I was talking to my cousin who lives in the OC, and she was telling me how everyone she works with has these gigantic e-rings. She has a 2.5ct and she says it''s somehow starting to look small compared to her co-workers. Seems like the trend is 3+ cts. This got me thinking, how big would you guess the average e-ring diamond is where you live? I''ll start it off. I live in Boston, and I would say that from most of the ppl I know, the average would be somewhere around 1.5, maybe even between 1.5 and 2ct.
I find that hard to believe. I live in ''THE OC'', about 1 mile from where the Real Housewives of OC live, and I even go to the same Gym as Slade (hehe). Anyhoo, I''d say the majorty of the people I see around at parks, shopping malls, grocery stores have rings averaging about 1.5ct. This is already a pretty high average IMO. If I went to other parts of OC, I rarely see anything over 1ct.
Do you ever see him???? I am newly addicted to this show. It is disturbing to DH since we, too, live in OC...Just farther southwest.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Difficult to say. It really varies from neighborhood to neighborhood. In the Marina I see sipme pretty big diamonds. With my friends anywhere from 1/2 a carat to 2 carats but some of my friends have colored stones, or no e-ring at all just a wedding ring.
I live at the edge of the Castro district which is known for it''s large gay population. Even though gay couples cannot legally marry I see quite a few rings on the left hand ring finger. Usually just a band though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results