shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s on your Thanksgiving menu?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
No but I''m definitely going to look now!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
It will be just 4 of this year, including my parents, so I am trying not to go too crazy, but I do like to have some variety in side dishes.

We will be starting with a salad of mixed baby greens, pears, crumbled goat cheese and balsamic vinagrette (Island Dreams just inspired me to add some dried cranberries too). I have a great recipe for a brined turkey breast -- it is so moist and flavorful, and a 6 pound breast is plenty of meat for 4 (still have leftovers). Side dishes will include homemade mashed potatoes, homemade honey-and-spice cranberry sauce, French style green beans (blanched and then quickly sauteed with butter and shallots), Stovetop Stuffing, and Crescent rolls (love them and only have them twice a year).

I am not sure about dessert yet. DH hates pumpkin pie.
23.gif
Frankly, he and I would be happy w/o dessert after such a big meal, but my parents feel the need for a "treat" after dinner. I''m going to go check out Ellen''s pecan pie recipe. I am not a great baker, but store bought pecan pies are usually not very good.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 1:50:14 AM
Author: Kay

I am not sure about dessert yet. DH hates pumpkin pie.
23.gif
Frankly, he and I would be happy w/o dessert after such a big meal, but my parents feel the need for a ''treat'' after dinner. I''m going to go check out Ellen''s pecan pie recipe. I am not a great baker, but store bought pecan pies are usually not very good.
No they''re not.
14.gif

Seriously, that pie is so easy, and the results will make them think you slaved.
9.gif
2.gif

Gail, no biggie! And as I just said, it is SO easy, but tastes like it wasn''t.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Goodness I am already frazzled over Thanksgiving. Here is my menu:

Main Dishes
1. Maple Roasted Turkey with Sage Butter
2. Deep Fried Turkey
3. Honey Glazed Spiral Ham

Side Dishes

1. Traditional Sage Dressing
2. Bread Stuffing w/ Pear, Bacon, Pecans, and Caramelized Onion
3. Mashed Potatoes
4. Green Bean Casserole
5. Sweet Potato Casserole
6. Lemon Glazed Asparagus
(yeast rolls)

Desserts

1. Caramel Apple Pie
2. Pecan Tassies
3. Pumpkin Pie

We have a lot of people...
face1.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lindsey, your menu sounds yummy! How do you make the sweet potato casserole and the stuffing? Also, what are pecan tassies?

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 9:27:09 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Lindsey, your menu sounds yummy! How do you make the sweet potato casserole and the stuffing? Also, what are pecan tassies?
Hey Zoe,

Pecan tassies are miniature pecan pies made in muffin tins, they''re cute!

Bread Stuffing W/ Pears, Bacon, Pecans & Caramelized Onions

1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
10 cups unseasoned dry bread cubes
8 ounces bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup pecans, toasted rough chopped
1 1/4 lbs frozen pearl onions, thawed and blotted dry
1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
3 firm but ripe bosc pears or anjou pears, peeled,halved lengthwise,cored,and cut into ¾ inch dice
3 stalks celery, chopped
2/3 cup minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
1 teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper, to taste
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or fresh turkey broth

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Coat a deep, 9-by-13-inch baking pan with the butter.
Place the bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl.
In a 10-inch saute pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp.
Using a slotted spoon drain the bacon and add to the bread in the bowl.
Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pan, reserving the extra.
Add the onions to the pan and saute over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until soft and lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
Sprinkle the sugar over the onions and saute, stirring constantly, until the onions turn golden and the edges caramelize, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add to the bread in the bowl.
Return the pan to medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat and swirl to coat the pan.
Add the pears and celery and saute, stirring frequently, until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Add pecans, rosemary, parsley, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper to taste, and saute 1 minute longer.
Add this mixture to the bread cubes, and stir to combine.
Add the beaten eggs and stock to the bowl, and mix well.
Place the stuffing in the prepared pan and bake, uncovered, until the top is lightly browned and crusty, about 1 hour.

Here is the sweet potato casserole recipe but honestly... I am not a sweet potato casserole person -- I''m making this for my mother
1.gif

INGREDIENTS
4 1/2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup milk
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup butter
1 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, mix together mashed sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs. Spread sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and flour. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture is crumbly, then stir in pecans. Sprinkle pecan mixture over the sweet potatoes.
Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results