shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s on your kitchen wishlist?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
So my post about pots and pans the other day got me thinking--what is on your kitchen wishlist?

Right now mine is:

*Stand mixer--oh how I want one!

*New hand mixer, because the one we have is old and so weak that it slows down if you try to cream butter & sugar with it.
20.gif

*Immersion blender, because we''re moving out of state and I will no longer be able to borrow the one my parents have every couple of weeks.

*Food scale for baking.

*New can opener (one of the ones that opens the side of the can rather than the top), because ours barely works.

*Better cookware--mostly stainless, with a couple of enameled cast iron pieces thrown in.

I''m sure once we actually own a house, the list will be longer since it will also include major appliances, but for now those are the main things.

So what''s on your list?

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
A stainless steel mandolin. Oh oh, and a really cool Big Chill fridge!
36.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
a stand mixer! I want one big time, but I don''t really have the counter space at the moment
39.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
An Immersion blender and a Mandoline.

I don''t really need either one, but Mandolines are so cool (and dangerous) and an immersion blender would just be cool to have. However, I have room for neither in my 8x8 kitchen that is already packed with stuff like juicers, stand mixers, ice cream makers, waffle makers, mini crock pots, and who knows what else...

I seem to have everything else (if anyone wants to come bake at my house, you''re more than welcome!) and then some...we need a new George Foreman grill and unfortunately they don''t make the one we have anymore (it''s twice the size of all the others that are out there, but one side of it died.
7.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Oh! I thought of something else: I want glass cannisters to keep flour, sugar, etc. in. I hate keeping it in the paper bags it comes in in the pantry--seems unsanitary somehow.

And these mandolines seem to be a popular wishlist item--I'll have to try using my parents' and see if I like it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just be careful with it LP, those things can take off a chunk of skin without you even feeling it. As my old chef said, it''s the most dangerous tool in the kitchen. And that''s with 60 quart mixers that have motors equivalent to car motors running them, knives a plenty, immersion blenders that could power a speed boat, open flame and all kinds of other dangerous stuff.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I have a mandolin but I don''t really like it. It''s great for slicing cucumbers but I haven''t figured out anything else I like about it.

Right now I''d like more storage for all the kitchen stuff we got for the wedding. I don''t want anything else for the kitchen!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A new kitchen! In a different house!
31.gif
Seriously, we have everything we need, but the layout of our kitchen is bad and is not in any way changeable.

We have a mandoline. Scares the heck out of me, but like everything else to do with cooking, my DH uses it well.
2.gif
And in DH''s honour, how about a gas stove next time. He''s always wanted one.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Right now I''m *really* really wanting a stand mixer. Ditto about the counter space though - AIGH! I''ve tried to win one in two contests lately & almost bought a lightly used one at a flea market (if I hadn''t had to drag it home on the train all the way from DC ... those things are like LEAD). Seems like EVERY RECIPE I WANT TO TRY requires that darn thing. RAGE!!!!!

My 2nd pick is an oval Le Creuset(or style) dutch oven. In Lemongrass. Martha Stewart''s Macy''s brand has them too -- for like 1/10th of the price of the real thing but I''m holding out. No track record on the M. Stewart ones and I have no place to store it anyhoo.
8.gif

Fun things I''ve *gotten* lately: garlic press (use it), hand crank spaghetti maker (not yet), three color cutting board set for chicken/beef/veggies (do use it but its ugly), book about making your own artisan breads (AIGH -- requires 2nd oven rack which my vintage stove doesn''t have & there''s no way to buy one so it''s useless).

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I want:

*kitchen aid stand mixer (I have my MILs that she got as a wedding gift around 30+ yrs ago)

*hand mixer (not the $10 Target kind)

*scale

*wine fridge

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2008 2:26:25 PM
Author: decodelighted
Right now I'm *really* really wanting a stand mixer. Ditto about the counter space though - AIGH! I've tried to win one in two contests lately & almost bought a lightly used one at a flea market (if I hadn't had to drag it home on the train all the way from DC ... those things are like LEAD). Seems like EVERY RECIPE I WANT TO TRY requires that darn thing. RAGE!!!!!

My 2nd pick is an oval Le Creuset(or style) dutch oven. In Lemongrass. Martha Stewart's Macy's brand has them too -- for like 1/10th of the price of the real thing but I'm holding out. No track record on the M. Stewart ones and I have no place to store it anyhoo.
8.gif

Fun things I've *gotten* lately: garlic press (use it), hand crank spaghetti maker (not yet), three color cutting board set for chicken/beef/veggies (do use it but its ugly), book about making your own artisan breads (AIGH -- requires 2nd oven rack which my vintage stove doesn't have & there's no way to buy one so it's useless).
We LOVE our pasta maker! We almost never buy pasta anymore because homemade is so good.

Mmmmmm...

SS, word on the street is that kitchenaid still makes the best/most powerful hand mixers. And they come in cute colors! I'm really hoping we end up with a basement when we move so we can have our own wine cellar--that would be so awesome!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
All of a sudden I feel kind of special for having a stand mixer... Mine is cobalt, and one of my favorite items in the kitchen, and the least used. Which is funny to me, but whatever...

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2008 2:45:44 PM
Author: FrekeChild
All of a sudden I feel kind of special for having a stand mixer... Mine is cobalt, and one of my favorite items in the kitchen, and the least used. Which is funny to me, but whatever...

I have a cobalt kitchen aid as well. I keep it in the basement because I really only use it about 6-8 times a year. It''s heavy, yes, but that''s what DH is for. "Honey, can you bring up the mixer..."

It doesn''t HAVE to LIVE on your counters ladies!! Lack of counter space is not an excuse!
31.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
LP~ I want to come and see your wine cellar!! Wouldn''t that be so fun?! I actually have pics of what my fantasy wine cellar would look like, all the furniture, shelves, and stuff...I can dream. I didn''t know that kitchenaid had such a good hand mixer....Back to target I go!

I use my stand mixer at least once a month, and each time I make at least 3 different baked goods. So, I think I would DEFINITELY get my $$ out of a good stand mixer, too.

And, if you don''t have one, a mezzaluna is a GREAT knife! I use it all the time.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2008 3:41:01 PM
Author: somethingshiny
LP~ I want to come and see your wine cellar!! Wouldn''t that be so fun?! I actually have pics of what my fantasy wine cellar would look like, all the furniture, shelves, and stuff...I can dream. I didn''t know that kitchenaid had such a good hand mixer....Back to target I go!

I use my stand mixer at least once a month, and each time I make at least 3 different baked goods. So, I think I would DEFINITELY get my $$ out of a good stand mixer, too.

And, if you don''t have one, a mezzaluna is a GREAT knife! I use it all the time.
As long as you bring wine with you...
31.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Do you prefer red or white??

I prefer a nice sweet white,

Salute!

mwiness.jpg

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2008 5:31:44 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Do you prefer red or white??

I prefer a nice sweet white,

Salute!
Oh no! I''m more a dry red kind of gal...maybe we''ll have to compromise on a nice chard?

Sláinte!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2008 3:25:47 PM
Author: sumbride
I have a cobalt kitchen aid as well. I keep it in the basement because I really only use it about 6-8 times a year. It''s heavy, yes, but that''s what DH is for. ''Honey, can you bring up the mixer...''

It doesn''t HAVE to LIVE on your counters ladies!! Lack of counter space is not an excuse!
31.gif
Mine lives on my counters but that''s because we have limited space...And also because it matches the kitchen (cobalt, black, silver, white and lighter wood.)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it the Kitchenaid one? We have the same one, have had it for years. I think they last a good long time.

We don't have enough counterspace for it, so my DH converted this narrow useless lower cabinet so that the top shelf pulls out, and that's where the mixer is kept. It's so much easier than dragging it out any other way. So although the cabinet has a door like all the other cabinets, it now has 2 pull out shelves (heavy duty hardware!), which makes it so much easier to store and retrieve stuff.

ETA: We have a wine "cellar" in the basement. We made a storage closet and along one end of it are floor to ceiling shelves for wine. I can't remember how many it holds. Maybe 100 bottles? DH is more of a collector than drinker. I can't drink any of it at all (diabetes). Hey, with a little ingenuity you can do a lot of stuff yourself!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2008 5:47:09 PM
Author: lyra

Is it the Kitchenaid one? We have the same one, have had it for years. I think they last a good long time.

We don''t have enough counterspace for it, so my DH converted this narrow useless lower cabinet so that the top shelf pulls out, and that''s where the mixer is kept. It''s so much easier than dragging it out any other way. So although the cabinet has a door like all the other cabinets, it now has 2 pull out shelves (heavy duty hardware!), which makes it so much easier to store and retrieve stuff.
Actually, Freke, I''m curious as well. I''m leaning toward wanting the Kitchenaid 600 (Kris likes to make bread and I don''t think the Artisan could handle it), but I''m also looking a little bit at other brands (like the Electrolux Magic Mill). Any thoughts, oh Culinary School graduate?
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the KitchenAid Epicurean. It was actually the floor model because they were out of this color in the back stock. I think it's a 6 quart. I'm about to bombard the cupcake thread with pics, if you want, I can post a pic of it...
ETA: If I could, I would totally get a small KitchenAid commercial mixer, because they are hardcore, but they don't come in blue, and I already have one that works...

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
That'd be great--I think the pro 600 is the equivalent mixer that's made now? It's also a 6 qt in any case.

I wants the precious....
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
K. I need to get into photoshop then...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
lyra, when we redo out kitchen I want a cab. just like that! I can''t wait to get it off my counter but it is pretty in all of its matte dark gray glory. (Also a kitchenaid)

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My wishlist (btw, I was at Williams Sonoma today and DROOLING):

Another wusthof knife

The pasta attachments for kitchenaid

A couple extra bowls for the kitchenaid

A couple of le creuset french ovens

Mixing bowls...my dad got me a set the first chirstmas I lived on my own, so I can''t part with them, but they''re insanely heavy and I always want new mixing bowls

More fiesta serving pieces (I know that''s not really a kitchen item, but yanno)

An amazing, beautiful, stainless grill (for DH - I don''t grill)

A pretty cookbook stand (don''t have the room, but want one)

Fiestaware canisters for sugar and flour and salt

Silpat mats

A cookie cooling rack

......okay, that''s probably enough for now. Some of my wishlist items are pretty inexpensive, but I''m just lazy :)

OH! And ladies - go to AMAZON.com to get your kitchenaid. My MIL saved a bunch on hers and then bought me one as a wedding gift. They have all the different models, colors, for AMAZING prices.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, Can I ask for something big? How about brand new granite counter top and a top of the line refrigerator!!!???

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK ladies, I find I must brag, if for no other reason than I SURVIVED!!! WE survived!! The dreaded kitchen remodel! Finished only very recently...

Oh, and before I bombard you (if two pics is a bombardment), Cook's Magazine rated the OXO mandoline to be one of the absolute best, and all for a mere $50. We've always kind of wanted one too, and now I know which one I'll be getting. The more I read Cook's the more I trust them...

OK...first the before, complete with..."what color IS that??" formica counters and backsplash, and routed particle-board cabinet doors, (every "upgrade" almost, to my house before I bought it was done by "Bubba". They refaced the 50 year-old cabinets with that horrible stuff. I hated it for nearly 10 years.

Before....

ETA: RATCHELFRACHET!!! I absolutely freaking LOATHE putting what I think is a reasonably sized pic on here and finding it has exploded on me. Sorry folks!!!

Window_Before_20.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe the "after" will be better...?

KMR_Kitchen_Sink2.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
El, I love my Silpat mats.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Well one of the major selling points of the house we bought was the kitchen and I cannot wait to show you guys what it looks like, It''s great. The only thing that really doesn''t do anything for me is the granite, but it''s a kitchen that doesn''t need any work so I really can''t complain about anything.

I have a Tangerine KitchenAid Artisan, but I want one of the bowl lift models. Other than that, I''ll probably get another blender for making baby food (in the future).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results