shape
carat
color
clarity

What's Old Is New! My 3.33 K SI2 OEC.

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
Adam has an amazing trade policy (had no idea up until yesterday). Too bad I got my stone back in 2009. I searched his inventory and realized that I would have to pay an extra $2000, to get to the size/color combo I have now. Of course....I can always go lower then I color. Much lower... :twirl:

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Mara,
I've been following your journey (from the other thread.) Thank you for sharing your story and as for your new ring?? I have no words. . . but Wow! Just WOW!!!!! :love: :love: :love:

Umm. . . . . . please pass the old cut kool-aid. . . :naughty:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, Mara. This ring is amazing.
I L :love: VE your stone, and that solitaire setting lets it SHINE!!!!

I wouldn't mind another few hundred more handshots if you feel inspired to take some. :cheeky:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its beautiful Mara. Congratulations on finding such a lovely stone!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great find, Mara! The faceting is very cool and of course it looks beautiful and huge on your finger!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im looking forward to seeing how you set this monster.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is just amazing!!! :love: :love: :love: Seriously, it causes me a lot of temptation! :-o

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1338587424|3207506 said:
Oh, Mara - that is G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S!

Mara|1338584383|3207477 said:
This also is so curious to me. I know that more and more people are recutting old large stones because they can get more for them as a MRB than they could as a wonky OEC.

I asked Adam about the origin of this stone, he didn't know but he did feel quite confident it was a real 'old' stone. I had heard that some sellers feel as though there is are sometimes purported 'old stones' being sold that are actually newly cut...though don't know why anyone would cut and try to pass off something like an OMC or OEC as old if it wasn't because again, you could get more $$ cutting it as a MRB for the general market.

It does make me wonder though what the history of this stone is. I always have been fascinated by this, in fact I'd mentioned to someone years ago after joining PS that it'd be so cool if there was a historical DB on diamonds where people could register saying they'd owned them etc, it would take a while but eventually there'd be a ton of historical data on stones! Not just diamonds, even gemstones etc.

Oh and on this particular stone, it is intriguing. It's a little wonky/out of round, but has the tiny tiny culet, the bit of tranny patterning but still a strong flower pattern under the table in certain lightings. But cut very symmetrically even though the stone itself is not symmetrically round but is not quite cushion etither. I would say that means it's OLD older, but the symmetry of it tells me that it can't be THAT old or else it'd be way more wonky. Super interesting to ponder.

On this topic - might I recommend Al Gilbertson's American Cut? I feel like a broken record because I talk about it so much, but it's a fascinating history of diamond cutting and styles. One of the things he points out is that (as he puts it) "so-called" Old European Cuts were frequently nothing of the sort, and that Americans were both prolific cutters, and interested in building a better mousetrap - er, diamond - from the start, which is what led to "superior" cuts being termed "American cut" long before they were called ideal.

One of the other things he points out is that there's no clear timeline. The book helped me to date my stone a little when I read about how transitionals can be of two sorts -"modern" pavilion, "old" crown," old" pavilion, "modern" crown, - but one of the things that he emphasized most was that there was a lot of fluidity, because cutters tended to adapt the cut to the shape of the rough more back in the day, and because old, talented cutters were working to create innovative cuts alongside young bucks who were still learning the trade at the same time that less creative older cutters were grudgingly adapting to the style set by science-hungry young dealers. So it's not as straightforward an equation as More Wonky = Older. Your stone could very well be a very old piece that was just cut by a master!

I ordered it!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
few more hand shots..!! :love:

3point33 OEC temp setting-1-2.jpg

3point33 OEC temp setting-1-7.jpg

3point33 OEC temp setting-1-3.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone!

What became of your old pave setting? And what are your plans for a long-term setting for this OEC? :naughty:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where did you get that wedding band is what I want to know?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is one of my stackers...got them in NYC. Love them, so versatile!

Laila I still have my e-ring setting, JE is setting a few more melee into it to make it a full eternity band. And I still have my original w-ring which I wear usually.

Long term... I have a rose gold shank w/white basket solitaire in mind, super simple...I have been craving simple after all the years with my pave set, but just gotta figure out all the 'details'..!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beyond incredible Mara, I'm so happy for you that you found 'the one'! (for now!! :devil: ) Rose gold sounds sensational :love: :lickout:

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Mara! Congrats! It is soooo beautiful! The cut, the patterning - exquisite! Pretty claws on the setting, too! :appl: I also checked out OWD after justginger's thread after she mentioned Adam sifting through giant piles of diamonds! :love: One day, maybe an O for a RHR! :)

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Oh Mara, she's just gorgeous! :love: The size on your hand is PERFECT, it looks so so so so so so so (so?) good. :bigsmile: Wear it with great happiness.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, girl, you finally got your 3 ct.! You wear the size well and I love the simplicity of this temporary mounting with six prongs. Can't wait for more pictures.

Wear it in the best of health and enjoy every sparkle!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The kaleidoscope of colors from your diamond is beautiful! Love the finger coverage, too!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
drop dead gorgeous - just love this stone! And I love the idea of a diamond database - now that would be neat!
Mara, I have a feeling you are going to be doing a lot of hand holding for future PS OEC shoppers !

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Wow...I feel like I've been saying 'WOW' a lot around here lately but WOW! This is such an amazing stone, and it looks absolutely amazing on you! Congratulations Mara, it's stunning! :love:

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Mara, on your new bauble!!! Its absolutely stunning and I hope you wear it in great health & happiness always!!! :appl: :appl:

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely beautiful, Mara! That stone looks like it throws out an amazing rainbow of colours and the finger coverage is fantastic! :love:
Congrats!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
It is stunning!!! I absolutely love that OEC, I am so glad it is the one you picked! :appl: and I agree with others, feel free to continue filling this thread with pictures for as long as you want, I will gladly drool over them :bigsmile:

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Mara|1338606902|3207646 said:
That is one of my stackers...got them in NYC. Love them, so versatile!

Laila I still have my e-ring setting, JE is setting a few more melee into it to make it a full eternity band. And I still have my original w-ring which I wear usually.

Long term... I have a rose gold shank w/white basket solitaire in mind, super simple...I have been craving simple after all the years with my pave set, but just gotta figure out all the 'details'..!

OOh that sounds perfect!!! Seriously... that stone is jawdropping!! :love: :love:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer - yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Mara - am I imagining it, or is there maybe some fluor going on there? I LOVE how it glows in that last shot ....

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, I love it as well as your setting idea. You do take the best pictures!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Mara, its BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! And HUMONGOUS!!!!!!! It looks great even in its temp setting but I can't wait to see what you end up doing with this :naughty:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks so much ladies..!!! just LOVING this stone..!! I took it on vacation this wkd and wow it just picks up so much of the landscape color around it, i just love it. here's just an iphone photo i took at the pool, lol.

i took some pics of the ring (in flowers, my fave) before i left but didn't have a chance to do anything so i'll hopefully add some new pics in a day or two! i lurve bling pics.

iphone3point33poolPS.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Whoa--its HUGE! Love it and hope to see it IRL someday.

cheers--Sharon

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your pinky finger looks hurty.

Also, YAY PICS.

D

Deactivated member 42515

It's embarrassing but I just wet my pants from excitement. It's beautiful!!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results