shape
carat
color
clarity

whats it worth

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

foxtiger

Rough_Rock
I’m new to the forum and hope I’ve posted his in the right place.

A good friend wants to sell me a ring that I’d like to buy. We are trying to figure a fair price. Could anyone tell me from the this description (from the insurance certificate) some idea what this is worth? Wholesale, retail, what a jeweler would pay, what I should pay. Any guidance would be most appreciated.

This is a Ladys platinum Diamond ring. The center stone is one round brilliant cut diamond weighing 4.32 ct approximate measurements are 10.30MM X 10.36MM X 6.30MM
GIA grades color J SI2. There are 6 round brilliant cut diamonds each approximately .03ct set on each shoulder. Combined GIA grades color H clarity VS total weight round diamond melee. Ring is completed by having 10 straight baguette diamonds each approximately 3mm X 2mm .05ct set in a swirl design around the center stones total weight diamond baguette exceeds 1ct.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the center stone have a grading certificate? That''s the only way we could look up a comparable stone here for you. But regardless, you need to take it to an independent appraiser to get those values. If he bought it retail, he should expect to get substantially less than he paid.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW
Here is an ideal-cut 4.62 carat I SI1 with an HCA of 2.0 and AGS paper for $58.500 retail.

link

But yours is GIA J SI2 and smaller and not retail and of undetermined cut.
If your goal is an ideal cut consider carat loss for a recut.

Definitely, go talk to an appraiser, both of you.
Let him/her name a price based on all your factors. (Both of you should split the bill and go together.)

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
You might want to check out this topic in FAQ''s:

Reselling Gems & Jewelry

It contains some useful info about what prices to expect under different selling scenarios. In thinking about what to offer your friend, you may want to take into account what he/she could get through an auction house, through consignment, selling to an estate jeweler, etc. Remember that you can always come up in your price, but you can rarely go down!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There were also 4.2 range J SI2''s at $36-38,000...that''s full retail. So a LOT depends on the cut of this diamond. I''d only want to pay about half of retail.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results