Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

What's harder than a Diamond?

Timm

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 27, 2016
Messages
46
Has anything been found that is harder than a diamond? I've always wondered about this after I found out that diamonds are used for drilling and stuff.
 

jordyonbass

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Dec 6, 2014
Messages
1,809
There are synthetic substances that are harder than diamond, graphene being one. I think there is some debate about whether Silicon Carbide AKA Moissanite is actually harder than diamond as well, I think it depends on it's application. Porsche used Silicon carbide in the clutch and brake discs for the amazing Carrera GT about 10 years ago and that car had the stopping power to re-arrange the driver's facial features and internal organs.

(I think this is allowed since this is not gem related but rather an off-topic, mineral chemistry post?).
 

Karl_K

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
9,427
jordyonbass|1480004220|4102280 said:
Silicon Carbide AKA Moissanite is actually harder
The specific type of Silicon Carbide that is called Moissanite is not harder than diamond however some other types of Silicon Carbide approach and may slightly beat diamond in hardness.
Silicon Carbide is a family of materials not a specific material which is why it gets confusing.
 

Karl_K

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
9,427
Technically graphene is a family of materials and not a specific material also.
 

Timm

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 27, 2016
Messages
46
Thanks guys. This goes to show, you really do learn something new every day. I don't know why I had the idea that diamonds are the hardest.
 

Karl_K

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
9,427
Timm|1480092074|4102531 said:
Thanks guys. This goes to show, you really do learn something new every day. I don't know why I had the idea that diamonds are the hardest.
Many school books still teach that it is the hardest instead of it is the hardest natural material from Earth.
 

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
10,221
I know a few people who are incredibly stubborn... they might qualify....
 

Karl_K

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
9,427
VRBeauty|1480147706|4102703 said:
I know a few people who are incredibly stubborn... they might qualify....
*grin*
 

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 22, 2014
Messages
4,106
Diamond is the most abrasion resistant natural material on earth. Some people mistakenly equate "hardness" to impact resistance. Obviously any crystal is relatively low on "impact resistance". A diamond "smacked hard" on a hard surface is likely to chip which can come as a nasty surprise.
 

jordyonbass

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Dec 6, 2014
Messages
1,809
Bron357|1480196517|4102811 said:
Diamond is the most abrasion resistant natural material on earth. Some people mistakenly equate "hardness" to impact resistance. Obviously any crystal is relatively low on "impact resistance". A diamond "smacked hard" on a hard surface is likely to chip which can come as a nasty surprise.
I wonder how diamond would compare to silicon carbide for industrial applications like the brake discs I mentioned. If you look at the Porsche Carrera GT, the discs were made of a material used in an aerospace program and then coated with Silicon Carbide dust. I wonder what the difference would be if they used diamond dust instead as that quality in Diamonds would have some kind of effect. Exactly what, I don't know.

I don't think price would have been an issue either, the Lykan Hypersport has diamond, sapphires and rubies encrusted in the headlights and tail lights and was worth $3.4 million brand new! :shock:
My guess is the heat caused and diamond's properties for heat transfer is the issue.

This is a pretty cool topic.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
31,478
Timm|1480002528|4102269 said:
Has anything been found that is harder than a diamond? I've always wondered about this after I found out that diamonds are used for drilling and stuff.
:Up_to_something: ..Does a guy really need to ask this Q ?... :whistle:
 

Karl_K

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
9,427
jordyonbass|1480224499|4102849 said:
I wonder how diamond would compare to silicon carbide for industrial applications like the brake discs I mentioned. If you look at the Porsche Carrera GT, the discs were made of a material used in an aerospace program and then coated with Silicon Carbide dust. I wonder what the difference would be if they used diamond dust instead as that quality in Diamonds would have some kind of effect. Exactly what, I don't know.
SC is tougher than diamond so it would likely last longer.
SC has replaced diamond is many drilling applications.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top