shape
carat
color
clarity

What's going on with DanielM?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thought I'd ask here because I know a lot of you have stones set by him. I've ordered pieces from him in the past, and while they took longer than expected, communication was good and I was satisfied. So I ordered some new pieces on January 31st and heard back from Caren a few days later. Everything was a go, I paid my deposit, and then heard nothing for almost three months. In late April I emailed and asked for an update. Caren said the pieces were almost done and that she'd send me pics within a few days. Again… nothing. I emailed on June 12th asking if they were done yet, and again heard NOTHING! Emailed again a week ago, reminding them that these were supposed to be presents! I'm getting a little upset, and asked this morning for a refund on my deposit if I'm not going to be getting these. I haven't heard so much as a word from either of them since the promise of pics in April. I'm not very experienced on Etsy. Is there another way to contact them or at least get my money back? I understand they are busy, but geez!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
And I thought my jeweler was slow. I just heard my ring is done after something like 10 weeks. Sorry to hear about your situation.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry!! I have bought a ton on etsy from various jewelers, but never had anyone take that long on anything :(. I think you can open up an etsy claim, although I don't know if there's a time limit. I would look into it if I were you. I'm sorry this is going on for you - I would be seriously unhappy if it were me. I hope you hear something from them soon! I've still never used DanielM (although I've convo'd for quotes in the past, I ended up using my usual jeweler for those projects as well). I know he has made many wonderful pieces for PSers, I really hope your situation is resolved quickly and satisfactorily.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Very good question Kelli.
I'm not going to feel bad because my discussions with them started on April 19th.
They did tell me about a late April/early May vacation.
Things are being posted regularly in the sold items part.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually asked for a couple quotes a few weeks ago. A couple weeks later, I got a response that they had a personal thing going on, and would get back to me in a couple days with the quotes. Several days after that I got a response from Dan with the quotes. I responded to his message answering a request for more information from me, but have not heard back since then.

I have exchanged hundreds of convos with them, many of them less concerned with jewelry and of a more personal nature since we have kids about the same age, and I am concerned about them more than anything else. I really really hope that they are ok, because this is very atypical for them.

I just went through their recent sale history:

Items were posted to etsy on June 14th
Items were posted to etsy on June 21st
2 items were posted to etsy on June 22nd

Only 4 sales were actual fabricated items since May 14th. The rest of the "sold" items are all "reserved" spots.

So yeah, I'm worried.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
I contacted Daniel M for a setting quote for two stones a week ago and no reply. So maybe something is up... I've bought various products on Etsy and am used to a next day response. Freke's post is very concerning...hoping all is well! They can technically "close" their Etsy store...I've seen sellers do it when they're on vacation. Maybe someone should recommend it to them before they get more upset customers?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear, I hope everything's ok with them. They are so nice & work so hard. I was about to contact them for a quote but think I'll wait & see what's up.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the replies. I certainly hope everything is ok!

I can't open a case because of the timing thing. It's been too long since I ordered but it hasn't been shipped yet (which is exactly my problem :rolleyes: ). Still, I suppose I'll hold off for a while longer and see if they ever respond to the messages I already sent. I do understand there are more important things than getting jewelry made, I just wish I'd hear SOMETHING since it has been SO long, and the reason I was getting them anyway (for presents) has long since past. But again… first world problems I suppose.

Please let me know if anyone hears anything! Vague possible bad news is always worrisome, and I really hope they are ok.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I have a stone out with them now, and he recently did some easy-work (resizing and repair, basically) reasonably quickly (turnaround was about ten days, but again, it was easy stuff). Communication has been a little slower back and forth than it was when he made my garnet ring, but it sounds like something extra might be going on, in addition to their workload. I do hope everything's OK, I don't know them well enough to ask.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Crap. See… I hate to be an impatient jerk when there might be something wrong, but it does bug me that others are getting stuff done and being communicated with and I'm not. It wasn't difficult work; she said in April that they were done and just needed to be polished up before being shipped out. Why not even an email??? I just feel like they have my money and I'm never getting my stuff (or even an explanation)! Ugh.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Guess I'll see how long it takes for the new ring. I do know it seemed to take them a while to read my last email, and set up the 2nd payment thing for it (to be fair, I've been slow getting back to them as well). It's easy for me to not worry about it though, as I'm never in a hurry about these things. Hope you hear back soon!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelli|1403788307|3701403 said:
Crap. See… I hate to be an impatient jerk when there might be something wrong, but it does bug me that others are getting stuff done and being communicated with and I'm not. It wasn't difficult work; she said in April that they were done and just needed to be polished up before being shipped out. Why not even an email??? I just feel like they have my money and I'm never getting my stuff (or even an explanation)! Ugh.

Kelli, I think it's understandable for you to feel upset. I am a very sympathetic person, and I certainly hope everything is ok - but he is running a business, and if there are reasons for the long delay, he should have notified you about it. It sounds like he is still working and completing orders. 5 months is a long time.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Kelli|1403788307|3701403 said:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/help/article/3762

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course we should be sympathetic to vendors if they have personal issues but they are still running a business and at the very least, they should email ALL current customers a notification of when they can expect their work/orders to continue, instead of leaving them in the dark pondering. This seems to be happening with more frequency with Daniel M as of late. :nono: Waiting for 5 months is bad enough, but not receiving any replies on more than one occasion would make it the last time I would work with that particular vendor.

Kelli,
I don't know what else you can do if DM isn't responding to your emails. Can you email the Etsy customer support, explaining that you didn't expect such a delay, hence you are no longer within the reporting period?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - at this point, I think you have been beyond patient and understanding; you should be thinking about how to protect yourself and get the return of your deposit. If you paid with PayPal, open a dispute; if you paid by credit card, call them to cancel the transaction.

If you are past the PayPal and credit card options, send a letter via certified mail/return receipt requested to Daniel M demanding the cancellation of your transaction and immediate return of your deposit (and the return of your own stones, if Daniel M has them). Include in the letter that you will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if you haven't received your deposit back within 2 weeks of receipt of the letter.

Regardless of Daniel and Caren's personal circumstances, DanielMJewelry is an experienced business and well-versed in etsy procedures - I find it inexplicable they are choosing not to address this situation in a professional manner.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
It took them a little while longer to reply with a quote and their tone was very different. It felt like something was the matter.
I know that they are a business, but we need to remember that Etsy sellers are private sellers, they're not massive chains. Idk if I've been just simply sentimental lately, but I've been treating people like people. I know that they're offering services and goods, but I feel like we need to be extra "careful" when making purchases from private small business like this. People have lives, emergencies, maladies. They aren't machines and I personally think that's a good thing. It took them a few months to complete my piece, I also think they've gotten very busy. Busy plus personal issues = long wait time.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't mind a long wait time if I just knew what was going on! I hadn't even gotten a reply from him in two months, and that was after Caren said the pieces were done. Anyhow, I don't know if it was the heavy flow of messages I sent this morning or if they happen to visit this forum, but he finally emailed me back today and apologized. He said he would send me pictures and ship them next week with my approval, and with no additional charge to me which I thought was really nice. He did mention health issues but didn't say anything specific, and I do feel bad for that. Maybe I will offer to pay the rest anyway, because in my experience health issues lead to big expenses.

And thanks for making me feel like less of a jerk, everyone.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the follow up........it's good to have clarity after so much confusion. Please send photo's when you get your goodies and I hope that Daniel and Caren and what they are dealing with is resolving.........

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Kelli, you're not being a jerk.
You're just concerned.
Nothing wrong with that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad that Daniel M finally got back to you and I'm sorry to hear of possible serious health issues. I still stand by my earlier opinion that they should have at least emailed everyone that replies will be sporadic due to personal issues. It should not require a thread with a big bandwagon following to spur a reply after months of no communication or follow up.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This concerns me, I have conversed with him in the past and know he and his wife have a little one. Hope it is nothing too serious :blackeye:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1403758848|3701299 said:
I actually asked for a couple quotes a few weeks ago. A couple weeks later, I got a response that they had a personal thing going on, and would get back to me in a couple days with the quotes. Several days after that I got a response from Dan with the quotes. I responded to his message answering a request for more information from me, but have not heard back since then.

I have exchanged hundreds of convos with them, many of them less concerned with jewelry and of a more personal nature since we have kids about the same age, and I am concerned about them more than anything else. I really really hope that they are ok, because this is very atypical for them.

I just went through their recent sale history:

Items were posted to etsy on June 14th
Items were posted to etsy on June 21st
2 items were posted to etsy on June 22nd

Only 4 sales were actual fabricated items since May 14th. The rest of the "sold" items are all "reserved" spots.

So yeah, I'm worried.
Uh oh.

CaraMish

Shiny_Rock
Same thing is happening to me. Deposit made early February; gemstones were sent in, earrings never completed and they are not returning my emails.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
I had a simple project (I provided the stone and setting, they supplied the melee diamonds and skill to put it all together); they messaged me last week that the project was finished and they just needed to take photos (the tone of the messages was also "off", not sure how else to describe it). I knew from this thread know that something was going on, so I said not to rush on my account... and haven't heard anything in about 5 days. This is definitely unusual for them, and I'm also worried/concerned but don't "know" them well enough to reach out. :(

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually reached out to them and passed this thread along. Dan reassured me that they would be doing everything they could to restore their reputation.

They have two little ones so I always worry about them. I do find it concerning that Caren hasn't written back. I have found it to be rare that Dan actually responds to messages - 99% of the messages between them and I have been with Caren.

:sick:

CaraMish

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Frekechild.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Freke. I have no problem waiting for my stuff, especially since I'm slow to get back to them as well. I just hope all is well with them. Ultimately health and family concerns need to be more important than a few baubles, after all.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why hasn't/doesn't Daniel or Caren just update the "Announcement" section of their "Policies" page?

In these kinds of situations, particularly with etsy vendors, personally I always search around the website trying to find a status message or announcement, and I can't be the only person who does this. And it would be far easier to post an Update Announcement on their page rather than having to reply to all the emails wanting project statuses. I'm sure some people would still need to hear from the vendor, but for those who just want assurance pending projects are still being handled, just more slowly, an Announcement would serve the purpose.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heard from Caren today, and she told me it was ok to let everyone know that they are dealing with health issues but are working on getting back on track as soon as they possibly can. They are thankful for everyone's patience and understanding.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Freke.
That's good to hear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results