shape
carat
color
clarity

What's even better than the Affluenza or Twinkie Defense?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's basically saying, "The DEVIL made me do it". :roll: :roll: :roll:
His only hope is getting a jury chock full of Christians.

Partial snip:

"An Uber driver who is accused of killing six people in the US state of Michigan has told police that the Uber app took over his "mind and body", setting off his shooting spree.

Police said Jason Dalton, 45, carried out the shootings on 20 February while working for the ride-sharing company.

"When I logged onto [the Uber app], it started making me feel like a puppet," Mr Dalton told investigators.

He claims that the smartphone programme told him to kill his victims.

According to documents released on Monday, Mr Dalton said the horned cow head of a devil would appear on his phone screen and give him an assignment."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35808627

_36683.jpg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What's even better than the Affluenza or Twinkie Defense

It's quite possible that he was psychotic.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium

That sounds more like a severe mental illness than an excuse to get off. Many people who are paranoid schizophrenic have a fascination with religion and devils.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This Michigan law firm's post offers a brief, yet good, summary of the insanity defense in Michigan & the alternate possibility there (and in about 20 other states) of a finding of "guilty but mentally ill."
http://www.mwplegal.com/michigans-insanity-defense-and-the-defense-of-guilty-but-mentally-ill/
What the post doesn't make clear, though, is that these are statutory defenses enacted into law by the Michigan Legislature. So they're entirely legitimate defenses for attorneys to raise, assuming there is supporting evidence.

Interesting factoid: the "Twinkie defense" is essentially urban folklore that turns the actual defense advanced by Dan White's lawyers at his trial, nearly 40 years ago, on its head:
http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Myth-of-the-Twinkie-defense-The-verdict-in-2511152.php

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I remember an 'incident' a few years ago. Guy boards a grey hound. Guy sits next to a nice dude who's sleeping. Guy then decides to stab him to death, cut off his head and parade it around the bus. He said that god told him to do it. He was found not criminally responsible. This was in 2008. He is now living on his own with pretty much free reign of his life. Not criminally responsible is serious shit, and it actually annoys me how often people try to pull it and get away with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Tim_McLean

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock

^ I am for the death penalty because of cases such as these. Proven, heinous, monstrous crimes. And the loony pandering "justice" system which can give the criminally insane freedom. Also the unspeakable Knoxville Horror murders. "Axe man" also killed another precious life - the first responding police officer who committed suicide because of the unrelenting PTSD from what he saw. I try to convince my husband who is far left-wing but I can't. He is 100% anti-death penalty. I think it is appropriate in these cases.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1457994855|4005283 said:
He's basically saying, "The DEVIL made me do it". :roll: :roll: :roll:
His only hope is getting a jury chock full of Christians.

Really Kenny? Was it necessary to take a shot at Christians? Most of the ones I know, including myself, would want justice to be served. That would involve looking into mental illness, obviously. But no freedom for one who has done something so heinous.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Weather Alert -- Sh*tstorm heading toward this thread. Heavy hot windy solipsism expected to occur with gusts of anti-political correctness and gale force victimization. Everyone in the vicinity is cautioned to head to your nearest underground shelter.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kenny Kenny Kenny Kenny...seriously dude.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

House Cat|1458012288|4005436 said:
It's quite possible that he was psychotic.

I agree. Unfortunately, this sounds like severe mental illness. It cannot compare (if he is being truthful) with the "Affluenza" defense. He was a spoiled, neglected and entitled teen.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

Calling all people of a group names or implying their religion is not real is not allowed on the forum and won't be tolerated. Posts have been removed as a result and if it continues the thread will be closed or removed at our discretion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results