shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats a Tiffany cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bling

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,
This is just a question i thought id ask...i was out the other day and stopped off at Tiffany''s and was looking at some of their solitaires for fun.. I asked the sales lady if their diamonds were "ideal" cuts and her answer was, "no, they are Tiffany cuts". I was just curious what that meant. They are beautifully cut so they must be close to ideal?
9.gif
16.gif
rodent.gif
appl.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I think what that means it that the saleswoman has no idea what she's talking about since she obviously didn't know what "ideal" meant at all. I think she may have thought it was a brand name!
9.gif

Tiffany gets their diamond from Lazare, I believe, and they're really nice diamonds. I don't think you can get a dud from Tiffany, though you may not be getting an ideal either. Of course, you are also paying through the nose for them.

flyingharp

Rough_Rock
Out of interest, anybody heard of a "Phoenix" cut? My local jeweller showed me (what she said was) the first one to arrive in the country. Got it at the London show a few weeks ago apparently.

It was basically a princess cut but sparklier.

What's the deal?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
A Phoenix cut is a cut corner rectangular modified brilliant and looks a bit like an elongated octagon or an emerald with a facet pattern close to a round brilliant.
1.gif

flyingharp

Rough_Rock
Wow! Thanks for that!

(Still looked like a sparkly Princess cut to me!)

bling

Shiny_Rock
thats funny..she didnt even mention Lazare..although i have to admit..i had heard that from another jeweler once. so assuming that all their diamonds are cut by Lazare, does that in tern, make them ideal? i have heard they are a brand name..much like HOF...
twirl.gif
wink2.gif
loopy.gif

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
I am constantly benchmarking my Suberbcert H&A to other High End jewelry stores. Does anyone know what Tiffany calls their "Tiffany Cut" really is?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Is this what you're talking about?
http://www.andrewsjewelers.com/phoenixcut_diamond.html

Are they always this elongated for are some more squarish? The one Flyingharp saw sounds really square if it can be even remotely mistaken for a princess.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Lazare Kaplan specializes in ideal cuts, and was one of the first manufacturers to do so several decades ago. I'm not sure if ideals are all they sell, however.

Tiffany gets diamonds from LKI but also elsewhere. They are also now indeed cutting their own diamonds, as they have a deal with Aber (one of the Diavik mine partners) for a supply of rough. I have no idea what their plans are for these stones as far as cut quality goes, but I doubt they will be creating a lot of dogs. I don't think any are in their stores yet as Aber only just sold their first production lot a couple of months ago.

I think that salesgirl just didn't know what she was talking about. To my knowledge there isn't a specific "Tiffany cut." The Lucida is Tiffany's signature cut but it's a square, not a round ideal.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
A 'Tiffany Cut' is a round brilliant stone...it's not really a CUT--its just the brand...Tiffany cut would just be what the saleslady called it in her eagerness to sell it to some unsuspecting purchaser.

The 'Lucida Cut' would be the modified square brilliant I believe?

rodent.gif

brennerd

Rough_Rock
I think a "Tiffany cut" is a type of hair style, or a girl named Tiffany that tried to rip her Pimp off.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results