shape
carat
color
clarity

What years (approx) were big for yellow gold in ERs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
What years (approx) were big for yellow gold in ERs?

Just wondering.

I know that antique ERs were white, then it went to yg, then white. Correct?

Thanks.

I seems to me that throughout the 1980''s, YG was very popular.

The 1950''s through the early 1990''s in my opinion. 1920''s were platinum and later 1990''s and now are white metals.

I thought the 80''s were big for yellow gold. My mom got engaged and married in the late 70''s so maybe the 70''s too?

I think yellow gold has always and will always be popular. Like white gold, some people just look better in yellow...

There were always some people who had yellow during white periods and white during yellow periods, but:

Pre 1910: yellow (or rose) gold. The diamonds themselves were set in silver, or at the very end of the period, platinum, often with a gold shank or back. White gold had not yet been invented.

19teens: Platinum became popular. White gold was invented around WWI. Filigree styles in white metals were popular.

1920s: White metals and filigree styles continued popular. Geometric, deco styles came in, often with sapphire accents.

1930s: Depression. Jewelry became less elaborate. White metals still popular.

1940s: WWII brought a platinum shortage. Palladium was sometimes--briefly--used as a substitute. Yellow gold began coming back. After WWII, the retro style came in. Rose gold was popular briefly at the end of the decade.

1950-60s: White metals came back, especially for diamonds, but yellow gold remained popular as well.

1970s-1980s: Yellow gold was in. White was out.

Mid-1990s-mid 2000s: Yellow gold was out, white metals were in.

Mid-2000s-now: Rose gold is in. Yellow gold is coming back. White metals are still popular, especially for bridal jewelry.

To sum: Fashions come and go. Wear what you find beautiful.

I got engaged 1979. No one I knew (my age) had white gold. My grandmother had platinum (1926) as did my mother and MIL (1954). My step mother got platinum also (1965).

Wow Glitterati -
36.gif

How, where, why - do you know all that ! Thanks so very, very, very much.

Ditto
36.gif

Thritto!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP