shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you say a reasonable price would be for this.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
SO at the gem show a couple of weeks ago (last week?? Who remembers) I found three stones I really loved. At the same seller. Now, two of them are way out of my price range even if the seller was reasonably priced but one of them wasn't and I can't stop thinking about it.

It was a concave cut mint (gorgeous color) tourmaline. It was also the most beautiful concave cut I have ever seen. 2 carats. And it was just... gorgeous. Natural, untreated....

BUT just from my conversation with the dealer I could tell he was a qoute'em high and bargain down type.

So... well. He wanted 500-600 for the stone. But from his prices on a few other things, like I said, I have a feeling that was the starting price. And I have his contact information and have been thinking about calling him to see if he still has the stone available, and making an offer.

But I'm not really sure what the offer should be. I've been looking on other sites, etc for a stone that color (or any size) and have seen nothing that compares.

But he was also the 'proud' type of puffed up long time jeweler.

What would be a reasonable price for a 2 carat mint tourmaline that is concave facetted?
33.gif

ETA: Sorry meant to post in CS. Have asked to have it moved.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Layla,

I don''t know anything about Tourmalines, but wanted to say it sounds gorgeous. The expert tourmaline pro''s will post soon to help you out, I am sure.
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was Linda, wish you could have seen it. Honestly I shouldn't buy it. At all. But it really just caught ahold of me and won't let go.

I wasn't sure if it's just because I couldn't have the other two (3000ish Spess that was the most perfect Fanta color I've ever seen, and a 7000 tsavorite that litterally made you light headed) and I just WANTED something from that dealer. Or if it really was just that stone. But as the days go by I really want THAT stone. I have no idea how I'd set it. And honestly it would be more pracitical to get a flat facetted stone of the same size and shape so I could get it sent to J Meyer and get one of his rings that I've been dying for. But... well, this stone is the one I can't get out of my head. It's so much easier to say no when the are on a computer screen. But once you hold the darned things and put them on your hand (he put it on my hand)... you fall hard. It wouldn't fit the style of James Meyer and I wouldn't want to halo it... so I'd have to come up with something really cool for it (a ring, cause I'd want to star at it as much as possible). I'm thinking something like Lauren's bezel. Or Blueroses' bezel with the pave band. Mmm... yum.

I'm babbling.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well, I heard that the minimum for which the US cutters will cut concaves is around 150$/ct, and if this is a really nice color, the price could be OK (but I sure am not an expert).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a little expensive to charge $500 for a 2 ct concave cut mint tourmaline, even if the colour is top. If you really like it, it doesn''t hurt to negotiate. Worse case scenario, he''ll say no.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results