shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you pick?? Size over quality??

ms_izze

Rough_Rock
I'm a diamond newbie and would love to hear any opinions/ thoughts ... I'm having the hardest time making a decision. I have in possession a 2.1 ct h vs2 cushion cut, modified brilliant, with a crystal inclusion in the middle.. It appears as a tiny dark dot in certain angles.. Sometimes you see it and sometimes you don't. It's a very beautiful diamond -- I love it, ESP the size and it fits all my requirements but I find myself kind of dwelling over that small dot.. Like I stare at it looking for it. :confused:

Or should I swap it for a slightly smaller diamond, 2.02 ct h vs2 cushion cut, cushion brilliant. The Gia mentions feather inclusions on the tips but it is eye clean at least and 1 g cheaper. I saw it for a couple of minutes and it was really pretty but I can't really remember it. I'm attracted to the larger diamond but not sure of the crystal.. What would you guys do? I have 24 hours to make up my mind...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me the carat weight is not really any issue...its really too close to make that big of a difference in that size stone.
(although mm could make a difference). Is the "black spot" going to bother you? Are you constantly going to be hunting
for it or can you let it go? You can only see it sometimes which mean someone else looking at your stone probably
wont be able to see it at all - so no worry there. Do you have to have perfection? I would pick the one I really loved
which would be the one that I liked the shape/ratio on and that had the most appealing faceting pattern.

Do you have any pics?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If that spot is bothering you now, it's going to bother you in the future. The difference is size is almost unmeasurably small and the slightly lower price for a more eye clean stone would cinch it for me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A visible black inclusion on the VS2... are these GIA graded? It doesn't sound like it is mind clean for you. I think that in time that inclusion is going to bug you.

On the other hand, you can't even remember the other diamond. That's not a good sign either. It's a safer choice.

Do you have the measurements of the two stones? The reason I ask is in terms of carat weight, I'm not seeing enough of a jump in size to justify a black inclusion. But if the two stones have very different measurements, then it may clarify things. And if the difference in spread is minimal maybe the other stone will be more palatable to you.

Can you get the GIA certificate numbers for each? If you can, then you can look up the certificates online and post them for us.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
If you're staring at it now then you'll always be staring at it. I think you should trade it in!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1313278203|2990305 said:
If you're staring at it now then you'll always be staring at it. I think you should trade it in!

My thoughts exactly!!! The downgrade in carat is minimal!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take the cleaner smaller diamond.

carabella

Shiny_Rock
I would go with the smaller, clean diamond. The size difference isn't that much, but I think - over time - the inclusion would really bother you.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Gypsy--a vs2 should be eye clean.

I would go for a stone that does not bother you. If you don't love the cushion either, it might be worth it to look until you find a stone you love.

ms_izze

Rough_Rock
here's an amateur picture of the 2.1 ct..

i thought vs2 would have been eye clean too.. and they're are both GIA rated..

photo1_0.jpg

i

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
So pretty! Did you talk to the vendor? It's GIA, so I'm surprised that there is a visible inclusion (could happen but it's surprising). Did the vendor confirm what you are seeing is, in fact, an inclusion?

ms_izze

Rough_Rock
Thanks everybody! I'm going to swap for the smaller one ..

As for the crystal, I only see it when I'm looking at it 2 inches away in low light ..Is that consider eye clean? Maybe I've been over "analyzing" it.. Who really stares at their diamond? Lol

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
ms_izze|1313333906|2990586 said:
Thanks everybody! I'm going to swap for the smaller one ..

As for the crystal, I only see it when I'm looking at it 2 inches away in low light ..Is that consider eye clean? Maybe I've been over "analyzing" it.. Who really stares at their diamond? Lol

I think most people consider eye clean at a further distance (8-10 inches). But if it bothers you, you should trade in.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for a smaller diamond. If that spot bothers you know it always will.

ms_izze

Rough_Rock
I manage to catch the crystal on camera. Please let me know what you ladies think.

ja1.JPG

ja.JPG

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if it was me, that inclusion would bother me always. It's not mind clean to you already, and it sounds like you will always be on the lookout for it. I'd go with the other one if it has as nice cut quality. Otherwise start your search over for "the" right one! :bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get what you want in a smaller stone."When in doubt... don't" is a good motto to follow with diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results