shape
carat
color
clarity

what would you pay for this stone?

CCM

Rough_Rock
My husband had previously proposed to a girl years ago and we are finally getting around to selling the ring that he bought for her. I just want to sell it and not go through a bunch of appraisals to get a real value...I'm sure it's not THAT much. Could anyone give me a rough estimate on what they think this ring might be worth? This is pretty much something that I'd like to just put on eBay and if someone wants it then so be it. Another man's junk is another man's treasure. ;-)

The appraisal value says $10,200 but I can't imagine how on earth it can be that high. This stone is set in a ring now with half eternity diamonds around it. It's a beautiful ring if you're into the enhanced stuff. When we met and he proposed he went and got me a Memoire eternity ring with a full non-enhanced 1.00 carat diamond....now sure how this enhanced one could have a value that's near what a non-enhanced diamond could have.

I would probably have a good idea if it were not a clarity enhanced diamond. He bought this at the diamond district in New York City.

Any ideas? I would really appreciate ANY direction I could be sent in. This will just sit here in a box otherwise. :(

Additionally, if anyone here wants to buy it it's yours for whatever reasonable price you offer. The ring is a size 4 I think.

Here is what I have:

A certificate by E.D.G.L. (Enhanced Diamond Gemological Laboratory)

I have an appraisal number and a date (2007)
-One round brilliant natural diamond
-Weight: 1.32 CTS
-Measurements: 7.06 - 6.95 x 4.35mm
-Clarity: SI1 / - Color F
Symmetry: Good to Very Good
Polish: Very Good
"EDGL" is inscribed on the girdle
-Clarity enhanced

Approximate replacement value is US $10, 200.00

Proportions:
Total Depth: 62.1%
Table Width: 54%
Crown Height: 15%
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Girdle Thickness: Medium, Faceted

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The value of a diamond depends on its specs.
You don't know its specs now because you can't believe that lab.

I'd throw away everything you think you know about the diamond, and that "lab report",
Take the diamond out of the setting send it to GIA or AGS.
They are reputable labs you can believe.

After you get a real report look up value of similar diamonds at PS look up feature or at Bluenile.

Then ask perhaps 50% to 70% of that if you are a private individual selling to a private individual.

Diamonds do not have a fixed value regardless of who is selling, buying and where it is sold, new or used.
Tiffay in Manhattan can charge much more for it than you or I can when offering to a pawn shop in Detroit.

EDIT I just noticed it is clarity enhanced which greatly reduces its value.
That changes everything so ignore what I wrote above.
I don't know whether GIA and AGS will even grade a clarity enhanced diamond.

CCM

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kenny! It was my understanding that GIA can't value a stone that is clarity enhanced? I am wrong about that?

CCM

Rough_Rock
Just saw your EDIT -- that's exactly what I thought. I have no idea where to take this thing to then...where does one go for things like this? A pawn shop?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just edited my post when I saw it was enhanced.

If I owned this stone I'd take it to an independent professional appraiser to get a value guess.
This appraiser must NOT sell diamonds or she/he cannot be independent.

Please be prepared to be very disappointed in what you will get for a clarity enhanced diamond if you think it's worth $10,200.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go shopping for a similar clarity-enhanced diamond with the same "lab" report.

Then I'd ask for 50 to 70 % of that.

CCM

Rough_Rock
Hey Kenny :)

I'm sure it's worth WAY less than 10k....way way less! I'm thinking around 2k...

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I'd probably look up other clarity enhanced diamonds/rings with similar specs to see what they're going for online, and then undercut that price by $500 or more. Or, I'd think about what price I'd let it go for, and see if I could get that at a pawn shop or eBay. I'd think about whether it's more important to me to have some cash in my pocket or a ring that I won't wear and don't really want hanging around.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I personally wouldn't pay even $2k for it because I wouldn't trust that it would be possible to have it re-set without damaging the stone/enhancement.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results