shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you have ended up with if your SO...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Had picked out your last piece of expensive jewlery for you WITHOUT your help? Would your SO have paid too much? Would you have loved it (for itself, not just because he got it for you).

How would it have been different from what you have now?

The last piece he picked out with my help was my e-ring. (He''s done well since then too, and all by himself... although since PS I''m curbing that).

I think I would have ended up with a princess e-ring personally. Definitely not an asscher-- he didn''t know they existed. It would have been a bright and pretty stone, but not an excellent cut. I''m not sure about the setting though-- it would have been platinum for sure...he doesn''t like that I have WG now. He knew I liked the Lucida... so probably a Princess in an X-Prong.

Oh. And he would have paid too much.
3.gif

As much as I have issues with my asscher. I am happy I didn''t get a princess. They just aren''t ''me.'' But it would have been the closest thing to a lucida he would have been able to find without tripping over to GOG (which wouldn''t have happened) or being introduced to a cushion (we didn''t know they existed when we were looking for my e-ring. I found out about them ONE WEEK after receiving my e-ring. And BOY was I ticked!). Although the resetting process of a princess would have been easier than the asscher.
20.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nothing
31.gif
He knows I am very picky, and am a good at negotiating price etc... So I pick it out and he pays for it. He''s happy and I''m happy.
2.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well the ONLY piece of jewelry he has gotten me so far (but luckily it was a very positive experience and seeing me so happy has made him say he wants to buy me more jewelry. YES!) was my ering.

If I had not been involved with the process I think I would have gotten a very classic round brilliant in a tiffany style setting. Since he knows I''m a classic person, and he likes to play it safe, he told me that is probably what he would have picked on his own. I would have been thrilled and I would have loved it (was a second choice to my cushion), but I do prefer the cushion w/ ritani that we picked together.

He''s the kind to do tons of research, so I think he would have found PS without me and probably would have bought from Whiteflash or another PS vendor.

But he knows better than to do it without me
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. A pair of dangly diamond earrings I liked but didn''t love, and he WAYYYYYYYYYYYY overpaid on. I asked if he would mind if I returned them and applied the funds to something else.

2. A set of pearls from a department store that were again WAYYYYYYYYYYY overpriced and not very nice. I just flat out returned those. I told him that I loved that he bought me jewelry, but perhaps in the future I could send him a list of potential things I''ve already checked out.
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband would have paid too much and bought a warrenty to go with it. He actually bought me pearl earrings and paid $50 for a warrenty. I thought that was crazy but sweet that he thought of me.
I now tell him to include me because I don't want him to over pay for things; I guess I take the fun out of it. No, he rather me help since he feels very clueless. I also include him when I am buying electronics for him.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
My last expensive piece of jewelry was my trade out. I think he would have gotten me something very, very similar to what I have. He knows all about PS and he would have definitely gotten a round diamond. That''s his preference. He also would have gotten a setting that could be worn alone, because he likes that, and it would have been a solitaire. I don''t know if it would have been the exact same one, but if he had seen it it would have been a strong contender.

Set the way back machine and he couldn''t have shopped for me. He and I have very different taste and he would not spend a huge amount on fine jewelry without my help. He has gotten me some very nice fashion jewelry and I''ve been amazed at his taste. But the expensive stuff -- he tends to want to save money, LOL, and I''d probably get something in 10K gold with semi-precious stones and I''d have wished he''d stuck to fashion jewelry! But he''s a dear, sweet, loving man and I''d take him over someone who knows how to shop for women''s jewelry in a heart beat.
2.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh geez...I don''t have the slightest idea because I basically told him from the get go that I was picking my ring out!

Maybe his mother''s 3 stone round diamond ring from her previous marriage but in a new setting. She offered it to him when he told her he was ring shopping...but I didn''t want a round and it''s probably silly, but I also didn''t want a divorce diamond! That''s also what kept me from going for a vintage/antique e-ring. I did not want bad vibes from divorce diamonds! (Although I did tell him he could reset the three diamonds from his mom''s ring into earrings and a necklace for me!
11.gif
)

He never really tries to pick me out clothing or jewelry anymore because he just never gets it right! Sad but true...I have very specific taste and pretty much no one except maybe my best friend (who is an amazing jewelry designer) would be able to pick me out jewelry. My best friend could also maybe pick me out clothes and shoes.

He likes to surprise me, though, so now if I want anything specific I tell my twin sister and she tells him I was thinking about getting x or y and he buys it for me and I let him think it''s a surprise. I know I''m terrible but it makes him (and me!) happy!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
He''s bought me two peices of jewelry. For Valentines day he bought me a heart shaped Fossil watch which I really liked, but then I found out his brother bought his girlfriend the exact peice of jewelry, so I stopped wearing mine because she always wore hers and I thought it was tacky that they (and I thought one of them purposely did this) both bought us the same thing.

Then he bought me some beautiful black pearl earings and neckalce, that I wear all the time to work. Simple, classic.

I would have ended up with his grandmother''s engagement ring. I don''t know the center stone size, it looks about a carat, yellow gold, solitare with some very very fine bead set pave. 2 rows of three or four diamonds down the shank, so just a tiny bit of pave. She''s probably a size 4 ring because the woman is tiny, and I''m a 7 so that would have never worked, aside from the fact that I don''t like the way yellow gold looks on my skin tone.
I felt terrible telling him I had my own expectations of what I wanted in an engagement ring. He said he was okay with it, but I know he was really excited to give me that ring. I felt soo terrible! He also didn''t want to reset the stone, so that was out. I think she''s giving him the ring as part of his inheritance, so maybe he''ll be able to pass it on to one of our children when they''re ready to get married.

If he would have picked out my ring, he probably would have overpaid at Zales or Robbins Bros., or BBB (confirmed) and bought me (depending on how much they were charging) around a 1ct. solitare. I don''t know how much research he would have put in it as far as diamond performance... he always researches his purchaces intensely, but he wasn''t very interested when I was talking about PS, so I have no idea. When he was looking at stones he was very discriminating to inclusions, so that was a plus!

He was wonderful enough to ask me what I wanted, so I chose a deco style custom halo, and that''s what I''m getting.
36.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2007 5:55:39 PM
Author: Skippy123
My husband would have paid too much and bought a warrenty to go with it. He actually bought me pearl earrings and paid $50 for a warrenty. I thought that was crazy but sweet that he thought of me.
I now tell him to include me because I don''t want him to over pay for things; I guess I take the fun out of it. No, he rather me help since he feels very clueless. I also include him when I am buying electronics for him.
Ditto. And I think he doesn''t really know my taste that well. Not intentionally, but I don''t think (no I know) he does not find jewelry fun. In fact I have been told brace yourself..... it''s a stupid gift
23.gif
Although, he understands I like it, so he tries, every once in a while he will buy me something (usually I send him the exact weblink or whatever LOL). But the few times he has picked stuff out it was what his stepmom likes. He always says he''s been told he has good taste in jewelry (he used to help his dad shop all the time for his stepmom), so he thinks he has great taste since his stepmom always likes what he picks out. Don''t get me wrong it''s nice, but for example it''s always YG. Nothing against yellow gold, but I''ve actually told him before that I like the silver metals (and pretty much only wear silver metals) and he can choose between platinum, sterling silver, white gold, etc. So anyway now I usually just send him a link or give him VERY specific ideas. I think I once said. I would like a blue topaz, set in white gold, square cut, bezel set ring LOL. Poor guy, he''s probably like what the heck? Can''t I just get you some CDs or something.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I would have ended up with a yellow gold solitaire, RB. I'm sure of it. That's what he told me later on that he always thought an engagement ring looked like.

When we were first dating, he bought me a pear-shaped lab-created emerald pendant at Zales. I think it was on $99 special or something. It's really not my style. He told me he had difficulty picking it out and that he wouldn't be offended if I wanted to exchange it. But I didn't, cause I couldn't bear to hurt his feelings, even though he said it wouldn't bother him. If it had been yellow gold, or a heart (I HATE hearts), I think I would have had to return it, though.

So a little while later when I suspected we might get engaged someday, I jumped the gun and sent a "if you ever think we're ready and want to buy a ring, this is what I want" email to him. I think it sort of pushed up the engagement for him to know I was ready and thinking about it. It brought on discussions about rings, a ring shopping trip, and finally me telling him what setting I wanted, how big a diamond I wanted, and that I wanted it to be ideal cut. In the end, I think I could have gone with something less traditional than what I have (a solitaire with very fine pave), but he really wanted something that looked like an engagement ring to him. And asschers, three stones, colored stones, and halos just didn't.

He bought me a little Fossil watch for Christmas, which I described to him what I wanted (thin leather band, square narrow case, date), but I resisted the temptation to pick out a model and tell him exactly what to buy. But he really did a good job cause it's exactly what I would have picked.

Now, I'm glad that my engagement ring looks pretty traditional. And I still wear my little fake emerald pendant every day - I never take the darn thing off even. Cause I love it so much that it came from him without my prompting, it sort of makes it more special.
1.gif
Even though I don't actually like the pendant...

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I'm just feeling lovey and missing my poor wonderful fiance these days.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2007 5:01:12 PM
Author:Gypsy
Had picked out your last piece of expensive jewlery for you WITHOUT your help? Would your SO have paid too much? Would you have loved it (for itself, not just because he got it for you).

How would it have been different from what you have now?
hahaha he would have gone to shane co and bought a round or oval about 1/2 carat in who knows what setting - something way too modern for me I''m sure LOL

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who knows??? Maybe yellow gold?

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I would have ended up with a princess with bags instead of a round with marquise sides. At one point he told me that he really liked them... He likes modern looks, straight lines, clean cuts. I have more classic tastes, I like flowing and organic lines.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
He bought me a tennis bracelet for my birthday a year and a half ago... from Zales
23.gif
the diamonds in it don't sparkle at all, they're all gray with carbon bubbles. That makes me think I would've likely ended up with frozen spit in my ering
2.gif
but it's hard to say... I doubt he put as much thought into the bracelet as he would have with an ering, so who knows how he'd have chosen. He chose a very pretty aquamarine pendant for me two and a half years ago. I like his taste in settings, he just didn't/doesn't know much about stones.

He'd have likely chosen a princess or radiant, instead of an asscher, which I wouldn't have been okay with. Well, not the princess, but the radiant. The setting probably would have been very similar to what I have now, since it was also his favorite that we found. Oh, but it would probably have come from Zales (or Robbins Bros, or Jared, or the like)
32.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel like a horrible person but I haven''t really loved (or liked a lot) any jewelry DH has bought w/o my suggestions. I would hate to call him clueless but....well, he is. He just doesn''t have the same taste or doesn''t pay enough attention to my subtle "hints" therefore now I am blunt and keep things simple. I would have NO idea what makes a good golf club or what a good price is so why should he have to know about my obsession?!? I have NO idea what I would have ended up with. I know he hates solitares (too boring for him) and his favorite cut is EC. I don''t think he would have been risky enough to surprise me with sapphires. I think the setting would have been more modern. In reality I KNOW my MIL would have chosen it. When all was said and done he loves what I picked out so we are BOTH happy!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
My last piece of expensive jewellery was a bead-set half-eternity antique style ring. FI would NOT have picked something like that. It would have probably been a pair of earrings or another pendant.

He has given me many pieces of jewellery over the past few years. I''ve found that while I think they''re not really my style at first, I wear them to make him happy and eventually, they grow on me. Maybe deep down, he knows my style better than I do?
2.gif

If FI had picked out my e-ring without any help, he would have overpaid and I would have ended up with a much smaller stone for the same price. But we both like classic solitaires, so I think I would have ended up with a very similar setting.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I learned the hard way that hubby is amazing at a lot of things, but I still need to direct him to the things I want. Be it Hermes bags or jewelry, it is so important to know that the other person will be thrilled when you are shelling out a lot of money. It is a win win, since he does not have time to shop and though he knows basically what I like, I hone in on the exact thing so we all are happy with the outcome!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
I also wanted to add that hubby doesn''t see anything wrong with 10kt gold, and no offense but my mom raised me with the idea that it''s junk (since she was allergic to it because there is a lot of other stuff mixed in besides gold). So I''ve kind of had a negative view of 10kt since... but I do own a piece or two thanks to DH
38.gif
, and since he rarely buys jewelry I just don''t have the heart to tell him.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I would have ended up with the e-ring I have now, lol! I told DH what I liked (pre-pricescope), and he got pretty much exactly what I asked for, except he picked it out on his own. For not knowing much about diamonds, and doing a lot of library research, he picked a pretty good stone in a simple solitaire setting. He has also gotten me a gold ring and pendant set which I actually like although it''s not what I probably would have picked out for myself.

*M*

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2007 7:06:09 PM
Author: thing2of2
Oh geez...I don''t have the slightest idea because I basically told him from the get go that I was picking my ring out!

Maybe his mother''s 3 stone round diamond ring from her previous marriage but in a new setting. She offered it to him when he told her he was ring shopping...but I didn''t want a round and it''s probably silly, but I also didn''t want a divorce diamond! That''s also what kept me from going for a vintage/antique e-ring. I did not want bad vibes from divorce diamonds! (Although I did tell him he could reset the three diamonds from his mom''s ring into earrings and a necklace for me!
11.gif
)

He never really tries to pick me out clothing or jewelry anymore because he just never gets it right! Sad but true...I have very specific taste and pretty much no one except maybe my best friend (who is an amazing jewelry designer) would be able to pick me out jewelry. My best friend could also maybe pick me out clothes and shoes.

He likes to surprise me, though, so now if I want anything specific I tell my twin sister and she tells him I was thinking about getting x or y and he buys it for me and I let him think it''s a surprise. I know I''m terrible but it makes him (and me!) happy!
This sounds like me--it makes me kind of sad that he can never surprise me with stuff, but I don''t know how to quit being so picky. While I would love the *thought* that would go into him surprising me with jewelry, I''m not the kind of person who could wear something happily even if I didn''t like it.
7.gif
And he would definitely overpay, which would wreck it for me, too. Blah, I really do wish I could be the laid-back, go-with-the-flow person who''s happy with whatever!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 11:31:29 PM
Author: Sparkles22
I also wanted to add that hubby doesn't see anything wrong with 10kt gold, and no offense but my mom raised me with the idea that it's junk (since she was allergic to it because there is a lot of other stuff mixed in besides gold). So I've kind of had a negative view of 10kt since... but I do own a piece or two thanks to DH
38.gif
, and since he rarely buys jewelry I just don't have the heart to tell him.
If it helps any, 14k has a lot of other stuff besides gold mixed in, too.
2.gif
Personally I have nothing against 10k itself, it's just that most 10k jewelry is cheaply made and/or has poor-quality stones in it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Strangely (for someone on Pscope so much) ... I don''t *wear* a lot of jewelry. So it isn''t top of the things he thinks about me ..

Gift-wise I have a MUCH better chance of getting a gadget or concert tickets -- items he''s EXPERT at picking out.
2.gif

Though the first present he gave me was the open heart Tiffany pendant & I still wear it everyday. Before he even knew I liked Tiffany stuff -- he KNEW I liked Tiffany stuff.
3.gif
The other day after my Lucida pendant bidding fever didn''t pan out he nearly broke my heart in two when he told me how much he loves that I wear that pendant HE gave me every day. He supported me all through that madness even though he was kinda sad I might boot the heart for the lucida!! I was so touched & didnt realize how much it meant to him & now Im torn ... I guess I kinda have to wait until *he* gives it to me -- and buy something ELSE for myself. Might have to get the old ears pierced after all
3.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2007 1:56:38 AM
Author: decodelighted
Strangely (for someone on Pscope so much) ... I don''t *wear* a lot of jewelry. So it isn''t top of the things he thinks about me ..

Gift-wise I have a MUCH better chance of getting a gadget or concert tickets -- items he''s EXPERT at picking out.
2.gif

Though the first present he gave me was the open heart Tiffany pendant & I still wear it everyday. Before he even knew I liked Tiffany stuff -- he KNEW I liked Tiffany stuff.
3.gif
The other day after my Lucida pendant bidding fever didn''t pan out he nearly broke my heart in two when he told me how much he loves that I wear that pendant HE gave me every day. He supported me all through that madness even though he was kinda sad I might boot the heart for the lucida!! I was so touched & didnt realize how much it meant to him & now Im torn ... I guess I kinda have to wait until *he* gives it to me -- and buy something ELSE for myself. Might have to get the old ears pierced after all
3.gif
You need a longer diamond pendant so you can wear both - or put the heart on a longer chain - layer ''em!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2007 5:04:48 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Nothing
31.gif
He knows I am very picky, and am a good at negotiating price etc... So I pick it out and he pays for it. He's happy and I'm happy.
2.gif
Hehehe...ditto Kaleigh and DF!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2007 1:56:38 AM
Author: decodelighted
He supported me all through that madness even though he was kinda sad I might boot the heart for the lucida!! I was so touched & didnt realize how much it meant to him & now Im torn ... I guess I kinda have to wait until *he* gives it to me -- and buy something ELSE for myself.

deco, that is exactly where my hubby is with my upgrade. He''s been supportive though all my setting ordeals but there was a part of him that was disappointed that my new ring wasn''t something he chose or something he can give as a gift (although he''s paying for it
3.gif
) So, that is why I gave him my folder of settings, Bill pearlman''s # and let him loose. Between the two of them I trust they will come up with something I''d be very happy with and something hubby can feel like he did on his own.

My hubby bought me .50 ctw studs for valentine''s day pre-PS. He waaaaaaay overpaid too and had them set in plat. which I never would do for studs. They are not well cut and show warmth but I love them b/c they are from him and he bought them when we really didn''t have the money to do it.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Well for my e-ring he was looking at a Tiffany pear. My fiance sticks to Tiffanys, the one time I tried to get him to pick out something vintage, he picked out a modern piece, so back to Tiffanys. Sometimes he knows my taste better than I do there and has picked out a couple of things that I didn''t care for at first but wear all the time. Sometimes I''ve had to exchange things.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The last piece of jewellery my DH actually bought for me all by himself which came as a complete surrpise--was a cross encrusted with 8 carats of Columbian Emeralds, commemorating the birth of our son. It is the most beautiful peice and I treasure it. But I tend to think that inspriation was a "one of".....................
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
If I left it up to him... I wouldn''t have anything!

Early on I made it clear that I was VERY picky about things I wore, so we started the "I''ll send a list, you pick" method and it works very well. I get to have fun browsing online and such and then send him a list of links and he picks the one he likes best out of the ones I pre-selected. He''s also used the "Oh, wow... I LOVE this!" technique to his advantage and bought the necklace I was trying on once.

With my e-ring, I know he would have gotten me something nice, but it would have been WAAAYYY overpriced and a lot smaller than what I have. It probably would have been a solitaire too, which I didn''t want. We went to the jeweler his buddy told him to use, and though they were helpful, there certainly wasn''t any deal to be had... and all the settings were designer high-end. After going there, we "went" (via telephone and email) to my family jeweler and got a much bigger and better ring for our budget. And now that he''s been to their shop, and they know what I like, I''m anticipating my first surprise jewelry gift! He bought me something from them for my wedding present and I can''t, for the life of me, even think about what it might be! I''m excited and very curious, but I know they couldn''t have steered him wrong!

ejsarkar

Shiny_Rock
I usually give input but for Christmas I wanted a surprise (I hadn''t mentioned jewelry). I opened up my gift to find new phones. I tried to act happy but I was a little crestfallen. After letting me believe for 1/2 hour that that was my real present, he pulled out a little Blue Nile box. He had done a ton of research to find the perfect stud earrings. I was blown away-- they were gorgeous. I then spent hours trying (and crying) to get the threaded posts into my ears with no success. With bloody, puffy earlobes, told him we had to return the little beautes. Crestfallen again.. and so was he.

Now he is gunshy to pick anything else out and I think that ended the jewelry surprises. But, since PS, I don''t think I''d want him to pick out anything without my help.
2.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
For an e-ring, I would have a WAY WAY WAY OVERPRICED, mediocre to poorly cut 1 carat mall store diamond or if I was lucky and he actually didn''t get taken for a ride by the mall people, then maybe a 1 carat very good but not excellent cut G or better 1 or 1.1 carat diamond from the jewelers building in Boston.

The setting would have been the same style since he picked the setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results