shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you grab in an emergency?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pictures. My dog. My 2 Louis Vuitton bags if I had time. Most of my jewelry is in my safe deposit box.

Note: This isn't making light of the evacuations and people who have lost all their belongings from recent storms.

I asked the DH this question in the car and he said "I guess my clothes". I was surprised because he is a hardcore gamer but I guess game systems won't get you anywhere when you have nothing. This is of course assuming you have gotten your children (if any), other family members or friends and pets out safely.

What would you be sure comes with you in an absolute emergency?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is interesting, I thought we were the only ones who kept cash in the house. In case of a nuclear war I guess or something. I would bet my husband would go for that.

Absolutely. Cash is the key thing to grab. We keep our stash in a metal box just to keep the mice out while it is stashed. I have a money belt in the same container.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is interesting, I thought we were the only ones who kept cash in the house. In case of a nuclear war I guess or something. I would bet my husband would go for that.
I suspect lots of folks do, although I do wonder if that tendency will 'age out'.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect lots of folks do, although I do wonder if that tendency will 'age out'.

I only started keeping house cash recently, mostly due to my throwback husband. But I don't think the practice will "age out". In fact, I think keeping cash for emergencies, is something you learn (or are able to do) later in life, when you've been without it a few times in some pinch. :)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have been evacuated a few times for fires. Before the big one in 2003, we stored all our photos off the mountain and I kept my jewelry in a roll up bag all the time. We keep a notebook with important papers in it,all our credit cards, socials, passports, birth certificate and marriage licenses, and pink slips for our stuff. I would grab all of that plus my iPad, computer, kindle, and charging blocks. I could grab all of that in less than five minutes because I know where it all is and what to grab. The jewelry would take a little longer- but for a wildfire- I would start packing early at the first sign. I watch them carefully and would prepare early.
We knew the possibility of wildfires were great in 03 because of the bark beetle infestation that ravaged the trees. They were like matchsticks. We had even taken our artwork off the walls and stored it. Not that it was super valuable but I didn't want to lose it. I probably wouldn't worry about that. We also had a video of our home that I took with us to document all our valuables.
I am going to start keeping some extra cash in the house too. I usually carry a fair amount with me because I like to use cash, but I am going to stash some extra along with a note to myself where I stashed it, LOL.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have been evacuated a few times for fires. Before the big one in 2003, we stored all our photos off the mountain and I kept my jewelry in a roll up bag all the time. We keep a notebook with important papers in it,all our credit cards, socials, passports, birth certificate and marriage licenses, and pink slips for our stuff. I would grab all of that plus my iPad, computer, kindle, and charging blocks. I could grab all of that in less than five minutes because I know where it all is and what to grab. The jewelry would take a little longer- but for a wildfire- I would start packing early at the first sign. I watch them carefully and would prepare early.
We knew the possibility of wildfires were great in 03 because of the bark beetle infestation that ravaged the trees. They were like matchsticks. We had even taken our artwork off the walls and stored it. Not that it was super valuable but I didn't want to lose it. I probably wouldn't worry about that. We also had a video of our home that I took with us to document all our valuables.
I am going to start keeping some extra cash in the house too. I usually carry a fair amount with me because I like to use cash, but I am going to stash some extra along with a note to myself where I stashed it, LOL.

You're certainly well-prepared and organized! I'm sorry its due to the reality of fire evacuations.

Your comments, and others, are so helpful to the rest of us - scratch that - to me!

Thankfully, Mother Nature lets us off easy here. We get snow, ice and cold, but I can handle that stuff.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House on fire? Cats, DH, DS and nothing else.

10 minutes to get out and DS, DH and cats are safe first?...cash (we have a stash), RX meds, wallet, first-aid kit with epi-pen and key OTC meds and iodine capsules to purify water, wallet, hiking boots with wool sox for all, and smartwool/thermal shirts for all three of us, water bottle, warm coats, sunglasses for me, compass...all stuffed in backpack. Sounds like a lot, but they are in our mudroom by the door.

15 minutes? high-energy snack bars, rain coats, wool hats and gloves .

Edited to add. DH would add waterproof matches and flashlights (again, all by the door) and instant coffee.

You're another one who is well-prepared! :appl:

Instant coffee! Oh my God, how could I have not thought about coffee?!?! :eek2:
I need my coffee. Seriously.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are so many things I would not have thought of that has been listed here, cash for example, coffee and among other useful things, a notebook with all kinds of important documents and paperwork.

I started this thread just out of genuine curiosity but with such a vast array of great suggestions it really has become a very useful and important thread.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are so many things I would not have thought of that has been listed here, cash for example, coffee and among other useful things, a notebook with all kinds of important documents and paperwork.

I started this thread just out of genuine curiosity but with such a vast array of great suggestions it really has become a very useful and important thread.

Definitely, StephanieLynn!
I think its great that you started this thread.
:wavey:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've really enjoyed this thread also. It also reminded DH and I to make sure that all meds in the first aid kit were still current. W

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slightly different take, but the CB just mentioned to me (because I brought up this thread) and he's read in two different articles today that if there's anything you don't want to take with you but still want to keep safe to put it in the dish washer. It's secured to the counter so it should stay in place, and it's waterproof. I never would have thought of that... but it totally makes sense!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slightly different take, but the CB just mentioned to me (because I brought up this thread) and he's read in two different articles today that if there's anything you don't want to take with you but still want to keep safe to put it in the dish washer. It's secured to the counter so it should stay in place, and it's waterproof. I never would have thought of that... but it totally makes sense!
It seems like a mixed bag.
http://www.snopes.com/dishwasher-hurricane/

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for checking that out!

By the way, couldn't resist reading one of the other articles listed at the bottom of the page:
"Hurricane Irma Now Contains Sharks?".
Uh, no. No sharks.

I believe only tornadoes are capable of containing sharks, if only because "tornado" forms a better portmanteau with "shark" than does "hurricane." :lol-2:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen interviews of folks who lost houses and contents therein and they seem to say that it is the photos that they miss the most. I have way too many photos to scan as I have photos since 1959 to the present--in at least 40 albums with 500 picture pockets. It would take up the car trunk. Almost everything else is replaceable. The 10 minute scenario is horrible. I could not imagine picking only things I could carry out or pack a car. Hubby would be responsible for the computers, paperwork, IDs, passports etc.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've thought about this many times...

If I had to leave IMMEDIATELY (like for a fire or tornado), I would take the obvious: DH, baby, two cats, purse, keys/ID/CC... Most of our photos are available online, so I wouldn't sweat that. I've always worried about finding my cats, as one tends to hide when she's scared.

If I had 15-20 minutes, I would add important jewelry (really just my ering and whatever I could put on very quickly), clothes, bottled water, and Blaire's baby box (contains many irreplaceable items, photos).

If I had days (like in a hurricane/wildfire scenario), I'd probably pack up as many things as could fit in my car and DH's truck -- mostly clothing, water/food/litter box, blankets/pillows, and irreplaceable sentimental items. DH has a landscape company, so I'd have him get his 20 ft trailer so that we could take even more. I don't think I'd try to save any furniture, unless we got really lucky and were able to rent a moving truck -- but I doubt any would be available.
**ETA: extra fuel

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aside from emergency evacuations, some things can be helpful in other situations, e.g., if your purse is stolen while traveling.

Place all your cards face down on a photocopier, print/scan, then flip over and do the reverse.
Photocopy/scan your Passport, Driver's License, whatever.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly it would depend on how long I had and what the particular threat was..... If the house is on fire obviously loved ones & pets, and a phone to call the fire department, if I had a number of minutes again it would depend on if it was a bushfire threat, a cyclone (we get them here) flooding (we also get that here) or a nuclear threat. I'm a practical person so if I knew what I was dealing with then I would attempt to take what is most apt for the situation at hand. I know how to start a gas powered generator for example and have had to use one on my own once during a cyclone when the power went out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results