shape
carat
color
clarity

what would you expect to pay for this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

guslik

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone!!

Im thinking about purchasing 2.84 carat diamond, the stone is I1 crarity and I color. The only inclusion it has is one feather like line that is only visible under certain angle. It hardly reaches the stone surface.
the price for this stone is $1950. Is it a good price?
I thought maybe I can have this stone clarity enhanced? Is it possible?
thank you all!!!

:wavey:

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
That is not enough info to judge the value, but it might be worth $7500 to $8500 if all the other stats, such as cut, polish, sym, etc. are good.

raceweather

Rough_Rock
:wavey: Decisions decisions....I have just ventured into the diamond trade to purchase a long overdue engagement ring. Try as I might to avoid it, the time has finally come. Armed with a healthy bank account and little else- I happily strolled into the local gem shop to simply pick out a ring. Seemed easy enough. Within 2 minutes I was completely dumbfounded. Literally overwhelmed, relentlessly lambasted with a multitude of terms, definitions, cut types, appraisals..the salesman just kept plugging away at me. I felt like a total idiot. This is where you come in. I have some specs to run buy you..... The rock in question is a 1.0 ct round brilliant VS1 F with no florecence medium girdle. (believe me, I am writing verbatim what the guy wrote down for me.)Price $4800. Is this worth it?

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
----------------
The rock in question is a 1.0 ct round brilliant VS1 F with no florecence medium girdle. (believe me, I am writing verbatim what the guy wrote down for me.)Price $4800. Is this worth it?
----------------

It would be if it was a great cut and AGS or GIA certified (really is VS1/F). But since we don't know the cut and cert, there is no way to know if it is worth more than $15. Post the depth percentage, table percentage, crown and pav angles, and who certified it. If it is IGI or EGL Europe or Israel then it possibly is not really a VS1.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
To summarize what I learned about Jewelry stores -- they can quote less than the "Rap-sheet" prices, but then sell reject cuts. Oh yeah, we also need to know the polish/sym grade.

golfer

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 11/5/2002 8:31:53 PM

Hello everyone!!

Im thinking about purchasing 2.84 carat diamond, the stone is I1 crarity and I color. The only inclusion it has is one feather like line that is only visible under certain angle. It hardly reaches the stone surface.
thank you all!!!

----------------

Not knowing a thing about the shape or cut of the stone, I'd say something seems fishy if you are getting a 2.84 carat diamond for $1950. Even an undesirable shaped, poorly cut, I color I1 of 2.84 carats is worth a lot more than $1950, I believe. Can you offer more details of where you see this deal? Are you perhaps misreading something, or am I?

guslik

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 11/7/2002 10:57:59 AM

----------------
On 11/5/2002 8:31:53 PM

Hello everyone!!

thank you all!!!

----------------

Not knowing a thing about the shape or cut of the stone, I'd say something seems fishy if you are getting a 2.84 carat diamond for $1950. Even an undesirable shaped, poorly cut, I color I1 of 2.84 carats is worth a lot more than $1950, I believe. Can you offer more details of where you see this deal? Are you perhaps misreading something, or am I?

----------------

This diamond is Round brilliant cut. the cut is good , proportions are good. I don't know anything about the depth % or H&A.
please give me your opinion on this one , I need to answer the seller. The price look really low to me , doesnt't it?
please help...

:confused: :confused:

golfer

Shiny_Rock
---------------
This diamond is Round brilliant cut. the cut is good , proportions are good. I don't know anything about the depth % or H&A.
please give me your opinion on this one , I need to answer the seller. The price look really low to me , doesnt't it?
please help...

----------------

If you're getting a 2.84 I round brilliant with I1 clarity for $1950, either 1 of 2 things is happening. Either you are getting the deal of the century, or something is not right. Even the worst cut 2.84 round diamond with those specs would be worth far more than $1950. Who is offering you this deal?

guslik

Shiny_Rock
If you're getting a 2.84 I round brilliant with I1 clarity for $1950, either 1 of 2 things is happening. Either you are getting the deal of the century, or something is not right. Even the worst cut 2.84 round diamond with those specs would be worth far more than $1950. Who is offering you this deal?
----------------

OK, I said yes to the seller , going to pick it up today , wish me luck , I'll keep you posted.
thanks
:love:

golfer

Shiny_Rock
Well, you've taken advice (and spending $1950, from a man who just started researching diamonds online one month ago, and 99.9% of his research has been online, far away from actual diamonds -- but I am fairly confident from what I've learned that there is no way -- if what you say is true (or more accurately, what the seller says is true) -- this is a bad deal. In fact it must be a fantastic deal.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Guslik - aren't you the one who purchased a fake diamond from ebay? What precautions are you taking this time to make sure the diamond is real? I may eat my words; but, I can assure you something *IS NOT* right about this deal.

guslik

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 11/7/2002 5:07:49 PM

Guslik - aren't you the one who purchased a fake diamond from ebay? What precautions are you taking this time to make sure the diamond is real? I may eat my words; but, I can assure you something *IS NOT* right about this deal.

----------------

Hello everyone!
Yes It was me , this time I purchased this diamond not from e-bay , first I took this stone for appraisal by independent GIA certified gemologist.
Now I'm holding this diamond right in front of me , IT'S NATURAL , UNTREATED and GORGEOUS.
I have an appraisal for this stone it has a value of 7 times more than what I paid.
So I think , just like golfer said , it's a deal of the century.
Thank you all for advice.
:appl: :love: :appl:

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
Like I said in an earlier post, if it is real it would actually be worth $7500 to $8500 -- and I could see someone giving it a retail value of $11,000 or more.

diamatuer

Rough_Rock
That's great news - I was a little concerned for you.

It's interesting that you note it is untreated, don't get me wrong ,I am glad it is, but is it really that important? If someone is searching for the biggest stone on within a certain budget and willing to comprimise color, clarity and cut, then what is the big deal if it is treated?

Sure there are concerns with treating a stone - could weaken the stone, it may be used deceptively, and heck, it isn't natural. But so what? If it allows someone to get a better stone for less, and you know what you are getting into - I say go for it.

guslik

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 11/9/2002 1:53:23 PM

Sure there are concerns with treating a stone - could weaken the stone, it may be used deceptively, and heck, it isn't natural. But so what? If it allows someone to get a better stone for less, and you know what you are getting into - I say go for it.
----------------

You are sure right , I just mentioned UNTREATED because it is a fact. I can't say anything against treated stones , in fact, I totally agree with you , and if I'll ever get a chance to increase the clarity of this stone with some kind of treatment I'll go for it.
The one last thing ,this stone is I1 untreated , witch is not bad at all (one small hairlike inclusion, visible only if you eyeballing the stone).
I1 clarity stone AFTER treatment was performed means that the stone had a clarity of I2-I3 BEFORE treatment.
SO I guess , I1 UNTREATED is better than I1 already TREATED.
Am I right? :confused:
thank you all for the kind words!:love: :appl:

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
Pretty sure that AGS and GIA will not even grade treated stones -- so not sure how one would even have a grade.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results