shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
As I was writing in some other threads I''m thinking of my first gemstone purchase, probably a solitaire style men''s ring. But I asked around and it seems that in my whole country (I''m not from the States or GB) there are no gem cutters, nor anyone able to repolish a stone. Now, since I was planning a bigger stone, and since I''m clumsy with hands (bang accidentally against tables, wall tiles, doors - often while explaining things to people etc.), I think I''d damage it even with just occasional wear. Should I just go with a design implementing several smaller stones, so that damage is much less evident? If so, how small? It would even be possible to easily replace the damaged stone that way. Oh yeah, I''m not thinking of something very expensive, so sending the stone abroad for repolishing or recutting and setting it again, probably wouldn''t be cost effective. Any suggestions?

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
What if you just went with a harder gemstone? Check out this Dan Stair Sapphire link It would be regally gorgeous in a YG men''s ring, set flush it will withstand just about anything. The price is not bad either.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 7:53:50 AM
Author: swimmer
What if you just went with a harder gemstone? Check out this Dan Stair Sapphire link It would be regally gorgeous in a YG men''s ring, set flush it will withstand just about anything. The price is not bad either.
I already thought of using a very hard gemstone, but I think any faceted material will chip (especially in areas such as those where crown facets meet the table) if hit hard enough from the right angle. If it were a cab there would be no problems (at least I think so), but faceted stones are a diferent story.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even something as hard as sapphires can be worn down if it''s been through some rough treatment. Since you are looking for something inexpensive and don''t have a lap person nearby, I''d just wear it and let the facet meets wear down naturally (or not). I wouldn''t worry about having it repolished, etc and just enjoy it for what it is.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2008 10:27:56 PM
Author: Chrono
Even something as hard as sapphires can be worn down if it''s been through some rough treatment. Since you are looking for something inexpensive and don''t have a lap person nearby, I''d just wear it and let the facet meets wear down naturally (or not). I wouldn''t worry about having it repolished, etc and just enjoy it for what it is.
In other words, I should just get something not worth recutting or repolishing and small enough so that eventual damage or inevitable wear doesen''t bother me? I thought so too.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Ma Re can I ask what country you do live in?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 6:14:27 AM
Author: arjunajane
Ma Re can I ask what country you do live in?
Croatia.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2008 3:29:57 AM
Author: ma re

Date: 10/14/2008 10:27:56 PM
In other words, I should just get something not worth recutting or repolishing and small enough so that eventual damage or inevitable wear doesen''t bother me? I thought so too.
Oh Ma Re, I''m so sorry but you make it sound so depressing.
39.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 10:15:02 PM

Date: 10/15/2008 3:29:57 AM
Author: ma re

Oh Ma Re, I''m so sorry but you make it sound so depressing.
39.gif
OK, let''s not exaggerate, nice thinks can be done even with small/affordable stones - especially if they''re of good quality, well matched and creatively used
9.gif

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
If I were you I''d just buy something I love and I wouldn''t worry about damaging it. You know, there are women who manage to chip their diamonds so... There''s no guarantee. Just find something you like and enjoy it. In fact, I just bought a beautiful pink tourmaline and I''m planning to set it into a ring. In my country there''re very few gem cutters and people who are able to repolish a stone (or at least very few competent ones) but I wouldn''t let that stop me from enjoying my purchase. I''m thinking maybe a bezel set so I wouldn''t accidentally hurt the sides of the stone would be good enough. And if I still manage to damage it? Well, after all, it''s not a diamond. I''d just replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results