shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

guccirush

Rough_Rock
I know in the end it is just personal preference, but if you were to spend around $3500 on an engagment ring what you would you get? Grade of color/cut? Size? type of setting?

It''s fun to see what people like to spend on and what is important to them
2.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would get the biggest round I could get with ideal cut, eye clean (preferably SI2 to save money) and maybe a G in color. I can''t go down very far with color because I am just too crazy about it. And I would put the diamond into a very simple setting that could be changed later if I wanted to. I would put all of the money into the diamond.

OR I would get a gemstone like a sapphire because I could get more size out of it.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joe Average American would shop in a credit store in a mall or strip shopping center and buy an I/J color I1 clarity diamond in either princess cut or round.

An informed Internet shopper would probably purchase a very well cut round, or well cut princess cut in F/H color and SI1 in clarity.

A shopper who goes into a Guild type retail, B&M store, will likely buy a good cut, G/H, VS2 of nearly any shape, but not exactly an ideal cut.

Certain ethnicity folks will opt for the IF/VVS clarity, fine cut, D-F range type stone no matter how small it is. Others will look for the largest size that stays within their budget and within the color and claritiy mentioned above.

Of course, we always have those who want something unsual such as fancy color, off color, older cut, estate type, antique, unusual shape, non-diamond.....whatever is unexpected?

Now, if this is any help I''d really be surprised, but truthfully without knowing you, it is the kind of flexibility we expect to see in the free market. What ever you want, someone has it.

widget

Ideal_Rock
If it were me, I''d start looking at antique/estate rings.

For a traditional solitaire, I''d put almost all of my money into the stone, with a view to getting a ''dream setting'' for some future anniversary. Since I like size and color, I''d look for a great heat-treated sapphire.

widget

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd pick something similar to what Jasmine said.
Max money into the stone and the simplest platinum setting, $420 4 or 6-prong at Whiteflash. (which I actually prefer regardless of budget).
Actually, my ideal setting would be invisible.

.703 ct. G VS1 HCA 1.5 xxxv WF ACA

Stone is $3282 with Pricescope discount.

3282 + 420 = 3702

Opps, $202 over budget, a gold setting would fix that.

I'd also go to H VS2 to push the size up a little, but that's just me.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
if it were me i'd do several choices

1. i'd shop around at my 4 favorite pawn shops and wait'n'see what comes in. for $3000 I could get a reasonable 1-2 carat stone, any shape considered, marquise? which i would have reset in a plain solitaire setting with a plain band to match. 14k yellow gold with 4 platinum prongs. i would not consider a princess at all.

2. i would go to whiteflash and ask for a medium - strong blue fluorescent ACA ideal cut round stone, DEF, IF-VS2, with the 18k yg 4 platinum prong solitaire setting and a plain band to match. This would be going for perfection, rather than size.

3. I would go to whiteflash and ask for a j,k,l,m vs1-si2 ACA or cherry picked round in the same setting, this time going for size.

4. i would seek an estate antique cut in faded white gold, or have a custom replica made of those pretty illusion sets (with the "head") from the 40s and 50s. i would find a stone, then have the ring custom made fresh and new. the shank in yellow gold and the head in platinum or unplated white gold. matching wedding band.

5. I would go to jared's and get the plainest, most industrial looking, Gelin Abaci tension set with 1/3 carat of a perfect DEF, IF - VS2 blue fluorescent diamond. matching wedding band - in yellow gold

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I have this insane fear of tiny pave diamonds falling out, esp. in a gold setting that wears away eventually. I would get a simple solitaire or three-stone setting. I would spend most of my $ on cut and get a F or G if setting in white and a H if setting in yellow gold. I wouldn''t go lower than VS2. I like all shapes. I don''t like big stones, so I''d probably spend $2000-$2500 and put the rest in my IRA.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a total setting girl BUT with your budget I would apply it all to the stone and leave $500ish for a simple solitare setting. If you don''t know what shape she wants, RB is pretty universal. MQ and pears look larger IMHO if you want the stone to look bigger than it is.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I would get a plain white gold solitaire and put most of the money into the stone.

I would go H color and VS1 or VS2, ideal cut. Within those guidelines,I would get the biggest stone I could. Hopefully at least 3/4 ct

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d get one of the Infinity ~1 ct H/I I1 stones. I have supermyopia, and am not willing to pay for high enough clarity where it would be eye-clean, so not eye-clean is perfectly fine by me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results