shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do?

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
I was given a diamond by my mother that was once in her ER and later made into a pendant when she upgraded her diamond.

I have been thinking about setting it in a ring because I’m afraid of losing it as a pendant.

My mom said that the paperwork she has lists color, clarity and carat. It is listed as a 1.16 carat.

My jeweler measured it and it’s barely facing up as a full carat which means it’s a deeper cut.

Should I just leave it in a pendant since the cut is obviously a little off? It does sparkle and is a VS2 stone.

I’m torn so I'm turning to the best of the best on the internet for advice.

Thank you in advance!

Here are a few pictures of it on my hand with my current rings as I’m trying to imagine it set as a ring (I’m a very visual person!).

D2EFE9B9-B603-44C4-A56E-A64CE87A2F82.jpeg BCDBE374-3FE6-4261-941E-D094504126BA.jpeg E0E4407D-C0B8-495B-987C-EB3764349C91.jpeg 85F5037F-7DC2-4826-9992-A3E8D82B6210.jpeg 8DF879F5-7B55-42AB-8ECF-9CFDC957E325.jpeg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi! Did the jeweler tell you the measurements? Just because it might be a little deeper cut does not mean it can’t be a pretty stone. But, more importantly, it is from your mom... and not just from your mom, but it’s from her ENGAGEMENT RING! Of course it is “good enough” to be in a ring! It looks great on your finger and I love it with your pretty band. I say by all means YES, set it in a ring!
FYI, my stone (my avatar) is a little deep by PS criteria (still within GIA 3X range) and it works! Don’t let what is espoused here make you think less of that diamond. Sure, if you are shopping for a new diamond then yes, shoot for proportions recommended here. But do not let the fact that your mom’s stone wasn’t cut to those strict specs deter you from wearing as a ring.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It will make a beautiful ring again
and its so specially because it was your mum's ER
you can never have too many diamond rings !

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
He only measured the top with a caliper quickly and I measured with mine, too. We got the same measurement. I think before I set it, I will have a GIA report done for it. I am going to NYC to a jeweler who can do that for me.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You make two very good points! :). Thank you!

Thank you for overlooking my typo :doh:
I don't have anything as big or as beautiful and ive never been engaged myself but i wear my grandmother's vintage ER on one hand and my great aunty's on the other and a little bezel diamond ring i brought off trade me (NZ's ebay) as a pinky ring to keep my great grandma's wedding ring safe

And nobody outshine the other

don't forget to post hand shots when you have the ring done. Looking forward to it !

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. Just because it's not a perfect PS diamond doesn't mean it can't be a lovely piece anyway. I wear my grandmother's .46 carat diamond in my engagement ring and the poor thing has a giant inclusion even prongs can't hide. It's still pretty and very special to me as I am sure your diamond is to you! I think your diamond will make a beautiful ring. Please come back and share it with us!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice would be to assess your jewellery wardrobe, to plug any gap and re-set it into something you would want to wear.

Personally, I would re-set as a pendant or bangle, more likely to be the latter as it would get more wear.

I already have an EC diamond halo ring for my right hand which is all I ever wanted for that hand.

I wear a CS or pearl ring on the other hand, and do not wish to have a MRB in a ring (heart shaped yes).

However, I currently do not have a diamond pendant, and I like wearing something on my RH wrist (usually more than one item).

Hence I would set it in an open bangle with flat ends at the bottom so that they do not bang against the laptop when I am typing.

That's my currently thinking for my mum's 1.9ct approx. MRB that is now mine. It is not a perfect diamond however it has sentimental value, and it's big!

Personal preference and all that.

DK :))

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
You reminded me that I did take inventory of my jewelry and I have a yellow gold bezel set diamond pendant (that my mom also gave me when I graduated college) as well as a diamond quad pendant that were a pair of earrings that became a pendant when I lost one :(

My mom also has a 2.25RB that I think she is going to give me eventually, too. I literally hound her about it all the time because it’s my birthstone!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being a guy, I haven't received any diamond heirlooms. However, a few guns have been passed to me. One of my favorite being a Stevens double barrel 12 gauge shotgun that my grandfather gave to me before he passed. The barrels still have saw marks where they were sawed off.

Monetarily, the gun is probably worth $500-700. Sentimentally it can't be replaced, as my grandparents raised me and my grandfather was more like "dad" instead of grandpa. I have a few AR's that I've custom built that are tack drivers, dressed out with high dollar optics and easily worth several thousand each.

As odd as it sounds, sometimes when I go shooting, I take that gun and it brings me joy in a different sort of way and I feel close to my grandfather who is no longer here. Losing that gun would wreck my world despite the fact my insurance plan would "compensate" me for the gun.

My point being, I think your mom's diamond is the same way. I'd mount it as you best see fit. Do it in a way that makes you think about your mom and honors her in a special way.

If you aren't super happy with the cut quality, then maybe talk with BGD about a re-cut. There's been a few cases where they take family heirlooms and shave minimal weight to preserve as much of the original stone as possible, while maximizing the beauty. Each situation is different obviously, but you could always have the conversation and find out where you stand if you were to do such a thing.

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
Being a guy, I haven't received any diamond heirlooms. However, a few guns have been passed to me. One of my favorite being a Stevens double barrel 12 gauge shotgun that my grandfather gave to me before he passed. The barrels still have saw marks where they were sawed off.

Monetarily, the gun is probably worth $500-700. Sentimentally it can't be replaced, as my grandparents raised me and my grandfather was more like "dad" instead of grandpa. I have a few AR's that I've custom built that are tack drivers, dressed out with high dollar optics and easily worth several thousand each.

As odd as it sounds, sometimes when I go shooting, I take that gun and it brings me joy in a different sort of way and I feel close to my grandfather who is no longer here. Losing that gun would wreck my world despite the fact my insurance plan would "compensate" me for the gun.

My point being, I think your mom's diamond is the same way. I'd mount it as you best see fit. Do it in a way that makes you think about your mom and honors her in a special way.

If you aren't super happy with the cut quality, then maybe talk with BGD about a re-cut. There's been a few cases where they take family heirlooms and shave minimal weight to preserve as much of the original stone as possible, while maximizing the beauty. Each situation is different obviously, but you could always have the conversation and find out where you stand if you were to do such a thing.

Thank you! It does have sentimental value to me! In fact, I’m probably going to pay homage to her and the stone by setting it in yellow gold!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results