carat
color
clarity

What would you do

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi guys,

I have recently been handed down a diamond through my family. I am not sure what to do with it. It scores a 2.0 on the HCA, however I do understand that is only a tool to narrow down potentially good diamonds. It has been graded as VG/VG/VG. It is 2.12ct H I1. I do love the size of it, however the clarity does bother me. The larger inclusions are not very visable from a normal viewing distance, they can only really be seen when you are closely inspecting it. It is slightly cloudy though, it isn’t too bad when it has just come out of the sonic. However it does seem to look dirty very fast due to the cloudiness already present. It does also have a chip on the girdle, but could be hidden by the setting.
Would you set and wear a stone like that? I really love the size, but it’s other features do bother me. It didn’t pay for it though so I am not sure what I should do with it.

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oh and here are the other specs

Table - 57
Depth 60.03
Pavilion - 40.20
Crown - 34.00

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi mw,

I'd keep it and put it in a pendant with those proportions, it would be a fantastic stone for that!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for a pendent.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote pendant too. Nice substantial size, and nobody (with manners) is going to get all up within 12 inches to notice any inclusions.

Can you post a couple pics for us?

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That looks like a respctable size for the stone....and if its not a bad chip, maybe just bezel it and make it a pendant...

If the chip bothers you is a recut possible?

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
2947726E-EA44-4130-B285-D0E574B2B633.jpeg 20A35CF8-1CE4-4012-BF40-45EB6CB8A68C.jpeg Thanks guys, sorry for taking so long to get back to you all. A pendant is a good idea. I do have a diamond pendant already. I’m considering just setting this in a ring and wearing it mostly at night. It looks very clean until it’s in sunlight. Here’s a couple of pictures. I’ve circled the chip in one picture, it’s very small and if I can cover it with the setting and avoid recutting I would prefer to do that.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would put it in a pendant with a pretty bezel. That's a fantastic size for a substantial pendant! !

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With this being a family heirloom, I think some other factors come into play that need to be answered:
  1. Do you already have a current ring/diamond you wear?
  2. Does the family member that passed it to you expect you to keep in the family and wear as your main ring, or are they okay with you re-purposing and/or selling and buying something more to your liking?
  3. Would you otherwise be able to afford such a large stone?
  4. Have you checked into the costs and implications (reduced size, etc) of having the diamond re-cut?
I'm just thinking if my family had passed me on a diamond, my first preference would be to utilize it as a main piece. But depending how you answer the above questions, that may not be the scenario at all for you.

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
With this being a family heirloom, I think some other factors come into play that need to be answered:
  1. Do you already have a current ring/diamond you wear?
  2. Does the family member that passed it to you expect you to keep in the family and wear as your main ring, or are they okay with you re-purposing and/or selling and buying something more to your liking?
  3. Would you otherwise be able to afford such a large stone?
  4. Have you checked into the costs and implications (reduced size, etc) of having the diamond re-cut?
I'm just thinking if my family had passed me on a diamond, my first preference would be to utilize it as a main piece. But depending how you answer the above questions, that may not be the scenario at all for you.

I do have several rings, only one with a diamond though and it is only a half carat. I’ve got several other loose diamonds, although for the most part they’re a lot smaller, or highly included.

There’s no expectation on me at all with this, my Grandparents were very wealthy before I was born until they lost most of it in a bad business deal. My Grandmother had a massive jewellery collection, a lot of it was low quality, but she did have some large pieces and a few smaller FCD.
My mum has already had a lot of the pieces taken apart to have remade. As I am a man I’d definitely have to reset this stone to wear it anyway.

I wouldn’t have the funds at the moment to go a buy a stone if this size. I have looked into having the chip repaired and it’s not too expensive and there’s a good chance it could stay above 2.00ct. However there is also a chance that the stone will break further and end up well below 2.00ct. The chip was in part caused by a surface reaching feather that was damaged. The cutter told me it could open up further if he was to work on it.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do have several rings, only one with a diamond though and it is only a half carat. I’ve got several other loose diamonds, although for the most part they’re a lot smaller, or highly included.

There’s no expectation on me at all with this, my Grandparents were very wealthy before I was born until they lost most of it in a bad business deal. My Grandmother had a massive jewellery collection, a lot of it was low quality, but she did have some large pieces and a few smaller FCD.
My mum has already had a lot of the pieces taken apart to have remade. As I am a man I’d definitely have to reset this stone to wear it anyway.

I wouldn’t have the funds at the moment to go a buy a stone if this size. I have looked into having the chip repaired and it’s not too expensive and there’s a good chance it could stay above 2.00ct. However there is also a chance that the stone will break further and end up well below 2.00ct. The chip was in part caused by a surface reaching feather that was damaged. The cutter told me it could open up further if he was to work on it.

First off, sorry for the confusion -- it seems the bulk of users here are women so I apologize for making that assumption.

I haven't had the luxury of your situation, but I think it's cool FWIW. My own 2 cents is that it's hard for man to have a situation where it's socially acceptable to have a 2ct+ stone in his jewelry. At least in my social circles. I'm American though and your use of "mum" tells me you're probably not so you may have different social & cultural practices than me.

I think the situation becomes a little more complex as you've been told the diamond may be structurally compromised if you try to repair/fix it. I would not want to further damage the stone at all. That said, I think it's worth getting the opinions of some other jewelers that are trusted and well known for working on delicate items before I fully gave up on that idea. If others confirm, I would be okay with cleaning it the best I could and putting it in a setting where it minimizes the visibility of the chip and offers the most structural support.

All this gets me back to what I'd use it for....and for me I'd probably do one of these:
  • If you are married, I'd talk to your wife and see if she wants to honor your family by somehow incorporating the stone.
  • If you are not yet married, I'd set in a simple solitaire that works with the chip & provides the structural integrity and store in a vault for when you do find the future Mrs and I would use as the engagement ring. Despite not being of perfect quality, I think it's a romantic notion. Your experience may vary, but most girls that make my "marry list" would likely agree with my logic and want to use the ring as well.
  • If for whatever reason, you never marry or your Mrs isn't interested in the stone then I'd pass along to one of your children (assuming you have or will have them).

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you already have a pendant than I think you should set it in a ring as you suggested and just wear it and enjoy it. I did have a man over 2ctw diamond recut by Brian Gavin, but there weren’t any structural issues. I agree that you don’t want to chance that. Good luck

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That is a fantastic heirloom! Great suggestions in this thread - do let us know when you decide, I’d love to see what you decide as an option for a 2ct. Men’s diamond.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would sell it and use the money for something else you would enjoy.

Just because a person inherits something does not obligate that person to hold on to it. I also feel it is a romantic myth that kids will love our possessions, and I do not expect nor want any future generations to “hold on” to any of my things out of obligation.

I know many people who have sold inherited items. They then use the funds to purchase something in honor of and to remember the loved one.

Best wishes to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results