shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Greentree

Rough_Rock
I recently acquired a large, slightly yellowish, un-certed diamond. Apparently dating from the 1940's, maybe earlier, it is a "spread cut" stone and with a very large table and shallow depth. It's big and impressive, but kind of a ho-hum visual performer. It doesn't exhibit a fish eye.

5.49 cts, table 69%, depth 55.9%, diameter 11.8 mm, color L,
clarity VVS2, culet very small, symmetry fair, it's noticeably different in appearance from a modern round brilliant.

The appraiser says this stone would be a good candidate for a re-cut in an effort to achieve more visual performance and potentially enhance its value. It seems to me I have three options:

1. The conservator approach: The stone represents the diamond cutter's art of 60 years ago, and like a classic movie from that era, should not be "enhanced". Remount it in a nice setting and leave it as is.

2. The bean counter approach: A five ct weight should be preserved. Striving for an ideal cut will result in too much weight loss. Ask for an improved, but not necessarily ideal cut.

3. The cut-is-king approach: Have it re-cut to ideal dimensions, even if the finished product weighs less than 5 carats. The smaller diamond should grade much better and its beauty will more than compensate for any loss of size and weight.

What would you do?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

Well, if you don't think it's attractive, I don't much see the point in leaving it as is in the event that recutting is a possibility. If the stone is a candidate, you could have an amazing EightStar diamond. You would have to contact EightStar by going to www.eightstar.com and clicking on their order button. You can fill in the form and ask their opinion about recutting. Recutting to an EightStar is expensive and I don't know what kind of candidate that diamond would be. There might be a large loss in carat weight, but the diamond would be worth far more if it could be an EightStar. If it seems like a possible candidate, they would want to see the diamond to determine if it is indeed a candidate. The president of EightStar wears a 3 carat K colored diamond which looks much whiter than a K and is amazing! He would examine your diamond with some special equipment he has and let you know what he thinks.

There are other cutters who could recut for you. I just don't know who they are or what kind of quality you would end up with. Perhaps someone will come along who can give you guidance in this regard.

Well, I guess you know what I would do if I could afford it. :)

Greentree

Rough_Rock
I thought I'd give you an update on this old thread.

I took Lawmax's advice and had EightStar diamonds repolish the gem into an EightStar. I just got it back yesterday. Wow! You can read all about it at www.diamondtalk.com on the Customer Experiences bulletin board.

Thanks, and a tip of the hat, to Lawmax for steering me in the right direction.:appl:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!

I heard that your diamond is unbelievably gorgeous!

Enjoy it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results