shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
As many of you know, FI and I are going to Ecuador for our wedding. We searched everywhere to find the perfect location and the venue of our dreams. Everything seemed to be going great. Then, I got an e-mail that their priest they use is retiring and returning to the states. I have contacted three different officiants, all of whom told me that they couldn''t perform our wedding due to various conflicts. I know that we are not members of any of these churches, so they owe us nothing, but I really thought that, with a generous donation, it wouldn''t be this big of a problem. Our "coordinator" (who is really just the woman who runs the hacienda) has tried to find someone (with no luck) and is still looking, but I am starting to get nervous.

We love our venue! It has awesome tripadvisor review, is recommended by all the travel guides I have seen and generally looks amazing. I would hate to change, but, we are going to be married, so we have to have the ceremony as the top priority. I have even thought about hiring a coordinator just to have them find us an officiant, but I can''t find a planner in Ecuador.

How long should would you wait before you changed venues?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok this may sound kind of wack, but can you have one of your guests ordained over the internet and have them perform the ceremony?

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 12:14:57 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Ok this may sound kind of wack, but can you have one of your guests ordained over the internet and have them perform the ceremony?
ditto this... that is the first thing that came to my mind!

katamari

Ideal_Rock

We definitely thought about this. We are kinda waiting for someone to offer, because we don''t want to make them "work" or wedding, especially since FI''s dad would probably be most into doing it. I am, though, kinda hoping he suggests this when we see them this weekend.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Our guestlist is: my mom, FMIL, FFIL, and FI''s brother and GF. Wouldn''t it be strange for one person among these to be performing the ceremony? Or am I being weird about it?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would be really meaningful for your FFIL to do it. Then your moms would sit or stand together, and FBIL and his GF could stand together while FFIL marries you. I think that would be really special for him to have such an honor. You know?

ETA: Its certain something that you'd have to feel out. And I know what you mean about not wanting to have to ask...

Thomperchik

Shiny_Rock
Katamari - I''m from Ecuador and I might be able to help you out if you tell me what city you''re getting married in.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Freke it would be meaningful and lovely for your FFIL to do it - I''m sure he''d appreciate the opportunity, actually
1.gif

Either way, I think you will have a good option - a local officiant (sweet of Thomperchik to offer to help!) or your FFIL.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 9:08:20 AM
Author: Thomperchik
Katamari - I''m from Ecuador and I might be able to help you out if you tell me what city you''re getting married in.

Thank you so much, Thomperchik! We want to get married at the Hacienda Pinsaqui, just outside of Otavalo. I think that one of the reasons we are running into problems is that it is not close enough to Quito for it to be a simple trip for a priest. Any suggestions you have, though, would be fully appreciated! And, if you have any general suggestions for places to see when we are in Quito, the Galapagos, Coca, or Otavalo, I would love to hear them! We are doing 4 nights in each location, except the Galapagos, where we are staying a week. In Coca, we are staying at an eco-tourism lodge, Yachana, so I am guessing the days here are much more arranged than in the other locations.

I have actually been thinking about giving you a shout-out post for advice, because you are part of the inspiration for us going to Ecuador!
36.gif
However, given what you are going through right now, I didn''t want to be insensitive and ask you a bunch of question about weddings. You are, though, further inspiring me by what a strong person you are being through your break-up!
36.gif

Thomperchik

Shiny_Rock
Katamari - It''s no big deal! I would love to help!

I will contact my sister-in-law and see what she can do for you.

Are you looking for a catholic priest? If you are, I''m going to see if our family priest can do something for you. I''ll keep you posted.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
That would be awesome, Thomperchik! We are not Catholic, and I think that is the biggest problem, most won''t marry us unless we convert and the country is highly Catholic. We have an Anglican priest who is considering doing it, but we haven''t been able to make him fully commit. Anyone you could suggest would be awesome!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
How is that wack? Go for it! We had my MOH''s husband officiate and it''s one of the wedding decisions I''m most proud of. It was awesome!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to add a disclaimer in case she thought I was off my rocker. Lol.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 7:05:10 PM
I just wanted to add a disclaimer in case she thought I was off my rocker. Lol.
Haha! I was gonna say, since when would Freke think that''s wack?
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahahahahaha!!!!! I know. I''m such a weirdo.
3.gif

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I totally don''t think it would be weird. Actually, I would be honored. My only hangup would be that FFIL wouldn''t get to watch the wedding as a guest and I wouldn''t want to take that away from him.

But, on the good news front, it looks like we have an officiant! It is still in the works, but it seems far more promising than anything else, so wish us luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results