shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do with a 31ct Australian Opal?

What should I do?

• Be wild for once & create a ring that is special & unique to you!

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • For durability create a pendant, plus it'd just look nicer on your neck than your finger!

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Don't EVER set it: keep it as a wonderful specimen!

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Sell that baby & use the money to create a small black opal ring!

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I dont know but I love it!!!

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@Rfisher & @AprilBaby

I like how you think April baby! That would be lovely if I could find an easy yet safe/secure way to fashion these jackets. It would also be a costly project yet could go on forever.

@Rfisher; yes! Ive mentioned yearning for that ring before! I think making the lighter version with coordinated CS' would be stunning!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So, everyone is going to hate me but another user reminded me of my emerald engagement ring and Id love to finally get the ball rolling again but it'll take a pretty penny so Ive decided that Im going to sell this beautiful large mama!

Im not sure If I'll find another like it in the future but I know I can find a smaller black opal and create a ring similar to the stunning cjd_sako one!

I know that we can list our preloved pieces in that section on PS but can we list single stones?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, everyone is going to hate me but another user reminded me of my emerald engagement ring and Id love to finally get the ball rolling again but it'll take a pretty penny so Ive decided that Im going to sell this beautiful large mama!

Im not sure If I'll find another like it in the future but I know I can find a smaller black opal and create a ring similar to the stunning cjd_sako one!

I know that we can list our preloved pieces in that section on PS but can we list single stones?

I’m pretty sure you can, I don’t see why not?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I’m pretty sure you can, I don’t see why not?

Thank you! I also see a single blue zircon so I'm sure loose stones are fine!

Im listing it in preloved here if anyone is interested feel free to reach out through my insta links!

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
SO.

I.
Am.
Psychotic.

& I received an offer (that was less than I was asking but super reasonable) from instagram on this opal and took a night before replying and took it out of my jewelry box today and fell in love all over again and realized theres no way I can sell this....even though its not a black opal, this "glitter in milk" Coober has a white magic all its own ! Plus I doubt I'll ever see one as large again in person.

So were back in the game people....

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SO.

I.
Am.
Psychotic.

& I received an offer (that was less than I was asking but super reasonable) from instagram on this opal and took a night before replying and took it out of my jewelry box today and fell in love all over again and realized theres no way I can sell this....even though its not a black opal, this "glitter in milk" Coober has a white magic all its own ! Plus I doubt I'll ever see one as large again in person.

All I'm going to say is welcome to the witchcraft that is Opals :lol:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
SO.

I.
Am.
Psychotic.

Nah, just a magpie. And honestly, aren't we all;))
I have to say, I kinda did the pursed lip face when you said you're going to let it go and had the I dunno, you might reg-gert that :lol:.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Nah, just a magpie. And honestly, aren't we all;))
I have to say, I kinda did the pursed lip face when you said you're going to let it go and had the I dunno, you might reg-gert that :lol:.

See, what it really came down to was...
IMG_20200618_165508_547.jpg

Sorry I forgot what I was going to say because the glittery-milky opal distracted me...
:drool:

& Yes I just coined a new opal name, "Glitter Milk" Opals

Ok It's late, I better go to bed before it keeps getting cheesier...
:dance:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I finally decided on a pendant & drew up my first design idea that I dont hate!

IMG_20200620_215058~2.jpg

It's antique inspired & I really think it'd translate beautifully to yellow or rose gold. (Btw, which metal would work best?) I have a sterling silver ring handmade by a lovely lady and it holds a pink tourmaline that is imperfect but looks just like a sequin if it were in gemstone form & I would use this in the design as an accent stone.

For whatever reason the opal doesnt look as good with a diamond accent or my spare pastel 7mm emerald cabochon but it looks fabulous with this pink tourmaline! So I'm thinking of having it dismantled and using the rose cut tourmaline in the piece as I sadly dont wear the SS ring that often.

I've also thought of changing the halo (halo = bar) around the opal in this design to something like pillowy- swirls that you see in antique pieces often but its so hard to draw a good looking one! If anyone else is good at drawing and wants to take a whack, please indulge me!

So.....
  1. What metal color? Rose gold? Yellow gold?
  2. Does the halo around the opal look too stark & plain for the design? Or does it work?
  3. Should I nix the accent stone and just have an ornate bail with the bezel/w/miligrain set opal? Or keep it?
This photo shows the pink tourm. sequin ring :kiss2: Also peep the bluish-red flashy amethyst & my lil' aussy crystal pipe opal ring!

Screenshot_2020-06-20-22-03-06~2.png Screenshot_2020-06-20-22-02-57~2.png

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I for one am glad you're not selling! I kinda was sad when you said you plan to. Is that weird?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Nice design ;))
I would go with yellow gold because it is softer and poses less risk to break the opal

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad you decided to keep your Opal. You would have regretted it. Once you get the Opal bug it’s all over, addicted to the pretties you are forever more.
It’s not all bad, here on the opal side.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops and I’ll add. I started off asking for 14kt gold for setting my Opal. That was upgraded to 18kt and then to 22kt gold because Opal is brittle and my piece wasn’t uniform and my jeweller needed maximum malleability to set the opal. Doubled the cost, gold wise, but I love it.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
See, what it really came down to was...
IMG_20200618_165508_547.jpg

Sorry I forgot what I was going to say because the glittery-milky opal distracted me...
:drool:

& Yes I just coined a new opal name, "Glitter Milk" Opals

Ok It's late, I better go to bed before it keeps getting cheesier...
:dance:

I know you have your setting plans, which are gorg :). But I'm a little weird and I would set it just like your photo with these green leaves (emerald, money no problem) or in the real world, maybe green enamel. It would cover three fingers but who cares :)

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Loving all of the ideas and helpful opinions listed here!

I updated and revised my design a bit but am still going for a similar look!

I will also be purchasing a 38-40" gold filled chain to wear her on so I can look at her often and run my fingers over the cab and the piece!
I love how witchy a long chain and a large statement pendant look! Theres nothing like it (:

I'm still unsure about 14k rose vs. 14k yellow but my jeweler is confident about using either, so its up to me!

Pink looks stunning with the cab...makes the white background have a pinkish tint around the glitter, but yellow is very classic for an opal!

I need new votes for the metal colors por favor!

I got a quote for this baby and we are off to the races!

I also weighed all of my scrap gold that I've been collecting and holy hell it covers the project, so that was a nice surprise!

IMG_20200624_162610~2.jpg

bpaul

Rough_Rock
Trade
Interesting thread!
Here are my two cents: you can make a piece that is convertible - a ring that can be worn as a pendant also. There are a couple of mechanisms to do this, an experienced jeweler can advise as to which is right for this size stone. Another point, to wear it as ring, it's better not to add embellishments
for that will make it too heavy to be comfortable for wearing and that will also require more gold to be used.

bpaul

Rough_Rock
Trade
This is crazy but is there any way to make a pendant jacket? So take the opal and bezel it for a pendant but get jackets to change it up. :shock:

Sure a jacket can be made for a pendant, bracelet or even for necklace. An expert goldsmith can do all this. I just love convertible jewelry...so you can wear the same piece in different ways. It also is an economical concept something like a BOGO! I like things to be versatile.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I didn’t read through - but OMG!! What a stone!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Interesting thread!
Here are my two cents: you can make a piece that is convertible - a ring that can be worn as a pendant also. There are a couple of mechanisms to do this, an experienced jeweler can advise as to which is right for this size stone. Another point, to wear it as ring, it's better not to add embellishments
for that will make it too heavy to be comfortable for wearing and that will also require more gold to be used.

I love that idea although I realized that I wanted something with a lengthy and ornate antique bail. I guess I could make it unhookable from the bail and then set it on the ring setting but Im sure it would take quite a bit more money & I definetely have a budget for this piece.

The quote I received for the latest pendant design is wonderful so I'm going with it! My goal someday is to find or have made a 38-40" 10k or 14k gold necklace. Till then itll be strung onto a matching gold filled one.

The thing Im still unsure of is the metal color. Should I go with rose or yellow gold?

(:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I love that idea although I realized that I wanted something with a lengthy and ornate antique bail. I guess I could make it unhookable from the bail and then set it on the ring setting but Im sure it would take quite a bit more money & I definetely have a budget for this piece.

The quote I received for the latest pendant design is wonderful so I'm going with it! My goal someday is to find or have made a 38-40" 10k or 14k gold necklace. Till then itll be strung onto a matching gold filled one.

The thing Im still unsure of is the metal color. Should I go with rose or yellow gold?

(:

So you already have the gold filled chain you'd wear it on?

Why don't you go with the color of the chain?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So you already have the gold filled chain you'd wear it on?

Why don't you go with the color of the chain?

No I do not, as Im waiting to purchase one after I make a solid decision on metal color!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Rose gold would look amazing but will yellow gold be easier to find the chain you want/

voce

Ideal_Rock
I agree with @1ofakind; I was searching for an 18K rose gold chain earlier and found those slim pickings. I will probably have to ask Inken or Yvonne to get me one if I end up wanting to get that. 14K rose gold chains were also slim pickings compared to all the varieties of yellow gold chains out there.

I personally like some of the Costco gold necklace chains, but they only come in yellow and white gold.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I agree with @1ofakind; I was searching for an 18K rose gold chain earlier and found those slim pickings. I will probably have to ask Inken or Yvonne to get me one if I end up wanting to get that. 14K rose gold chains were also slim pickings compared to all the varieties of yellow gold chains out there.

I personally like some of the Costco gold necklace chains, but they only come in yellow and white gold.

I doubt id be able to find a 40 inch one though. I think its a bit of an odd length :/

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock

I was looking for one as well and I still am! I may go with silver until I find one....or white gold when gold prices drop a bit.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I doubt id be able to find a 40 inch one though. I think its a bit of an odd length :/

2 20 inch chains that a jeweler could connect? Depending on the type of chain. I imagine you will want something substantial.

Can I ask if you will wear it double? I'm tall and 40' is maybe 2 inches above my belly button...and that is without a gorgeous and huge pendant at the end!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I STRONGLY advise against wearing this as a pendant on a long chain.
I have a Large stunning carved amethyst pendant which I originally wore on a long muff chain. As I was going to sit down at a restaurant table it swung and smashed into the table. I chipped a not small piece off. You have to always remember that as you bend down or sit down to grab hold of the pendant lest it swing or catch and smash into something. Very upsetting.
My Opal pendant is huge, it weighs 35 grams. There is no way I’m having it smack into anything. I bought a thick, rigid wire gold fill (for the life of me I could not find any in solid gold) Choker. It is perfectly secure and basically “sticks” to my skin. 7191D78A-838D-47F1-889D-03CEB7ACF57C.jpeg 929D2CAF-2187-41E3-9E70-B8C859DA7A26.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C2DEAFF-02D7-4221-9B6B-40E6AC6BCC95.jpeg
    8C2DEAFF-02D7-4221-9B6B-40E6AC6BCC95.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 18

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I STRONGLY advise against wearing this as a pendant on a long chain.
I have a Large stunning carved amethyst pendant which I originally wore on a long muff chain. As I was going to sit down at a restaurant table it swung and smashed into the table. I chipped a not small piece off. You have to always remember that as you bend down or sit down to grab hold of the pendant lest it swing or catch and smash into something. Very upsetting.
My Opal pendant is huge, it weighs 35 grams. There is no way I’m having it smack into anything. I bought a thick, rigid wire gold fill (for the life of me I could not find any in solid gold) Choker. It is perfectly secure and basically “sticks” to my skin. 7191D78A-838D-47F1-889D-03CEB7ACF57C.jpeg 929D2CAF-2187-41E3-9E70-B8C859DA7A26.jpeg

A very good point to think about! Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results