shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do with a 31ct Australian Opal?

What should I do?

• Be wild for once & create a ring that is special & unique to you!

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • For durability create a pendant, plus it'd just look nicer on your neck than your finger!

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Don't EVER set it: keep it as a wonderful specimen!

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Sell that baby & use the money to create a small black opal ring!

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I dont know but I love it!!!

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hello Everyone! :dance:

I purchased something fun when my beau randomly decided to take me crystal/gemstone shopping in a city over from us! Which is always a sweet surprise! Of course he later confirmed it was to also look at a gun shop! (typical) haha

Anyways, I happened upon this incredibly stunning 31ct solid Australian precious white opal from Coober Pedy & couldnt resist. I haven't checked but my gut says that it may even be a little bigger than 31cts. It's a mama for sure!

It is approx. 35 x 27mm & 5.5mm thick and this baby is solid! There's no backing, actually the back is pretty stunning as well and is polished. I thought about selling it but I had never seen such a large cabochon of opal that has such great color play in person & the collector in me won that match!

So...now I'm left with this stunning hunk of glittering opal & I desperately need help in setting it!! This is where you all come in!

Please know that I'm a ring girl through and through, & am incredibly careful with all of my rings. I even have a few sterling silver rings that have cabs larger than this stone and I love the weight and heftiness when I'm wearing them! I've just never had a gold ring of this size!

So for obvious reasons like security & practicality, I'm leaning much more towards a pendant but again, I want this to be a fun project so with little convincing & a stunning design idea I'd be up for anything!

Should I go nuts and make a ring out of it? Or a beautiful pendant?
If so should I use pearls, colored stones? Incorporate diamonds?
What kind of design? Something articulated?

Let me know what you would do if money wasn't an object!
Sadly for me it is haha but I love getting inspiration through your wild ideas/designs and things can always be modified!

It was extremely difficult to accurately capture this opal! Black opals translate beautifully in photos but precious white opals- Omg no!

So please know that unless you're here, it's just impossible to see the full beauty of this mama. The closest I could get were these two videos, and these two images with flash! Mr. B described the color play perfectly: He said "it looked like holographic glitter floating in milk." Its quite beautiful!

IMG_20200614_234031~2.jpg
IMG_20200614_234132~2.jpg

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm not voting because you left out the option I'd go for. Since opals are soft and sensitive to water and all sorts of chemicals, including alcohol, I'd find it a hassle to take it off every time I'm washing my hands or using hand sanitizer or putting lotion on. I'd also be deathly afraid of knocking the opal and having it crack open.

With an opal that large, I'd go for a wild CS explosion, opal center cuff bracelet. I would want tendrils curling and growing out of the opal, nothing regular or symmetric.

I'd especially enjoy wearing it as a bracelet that way... The idea being that with all sorts of wild color in the bracelet, whatever CS ring I want to wear wouldn't look out of place next to the bracelet. Especially since that opal is so big, I wouldn't be able to wear any other ring on that hand. I've become a 2+ ring per hand kind of girl, so my hand estate is precious to me! The opal would get a lot more wear from me as a part of a cuff.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You said it is also pretty from the back so im changing my vote to pendent
Its lovelly
And the size is a knock out !

I would do a ring - a really cool OTT ring setting for a really cool OTT stone; because you said that you’re a ring girl! But voce has a point about opals being fragile, and maybe a bracelet would be a better idea - you’ll still be able to look down at it and enjoy it but it’ll be safer. Definitely don’t just keep it locked away though! That beauty deserves to be out and about!!

Okay no I change my vote - I would do a really dramatic statement necklace (not pendant)! Something like Princess Diana’s sapphire and 6 strand pearl choker! Though I’d do it with black pearls and not white. I can just picture that stunning opal (set in a WG milgrain/filgree bezel or with a thin melee halo of some beautiful bright CS or diamond (any of these could work: paraiba/copper bearing tourmaline, sapphires of any color, diamonds, moissanite, topaz), and set with luscious strands of gorgeous black pearls. And I just checked and pearlsparadise is running a site wide sale so you could get some freshwater black pearls (in not too big a size). What an absolute stunning treasure of a necklace that would make!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with the idea of a choker on multi-strand dark pearls to contrast the colouration. However, it makes the piece rather formal and probably not worn often.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Choker or pendant for all the reasons stated. I love my opal ring but I treat it very delicately and carefully because an opal ring isn’t the most practical. So I vote necklace if you think you’d enjoy it that way.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not voting because you left out the option I'd go for. Since opals are soft and sensitive to water and all sorts of chemicals, including alcohol, I'd find it a hassle to take it off every time I'm washing my hands or using hand sanitizer or putting lotion on.

Could I please take a minute to debunk some of this?

While these are all things you need to be concerned about with Welo Opal, they are not issues with Australian Opal.
Water doesn't affect Aussie Opal, I use it for the entire cutting and polishing process and all of my Opals are unaffected by the water itself.
High proof alcohol? No worries, I use it to clean the dopping wax when I'm finished with a stone
Most commercial grade acids? Yep, no worries. It's still unaffected after a soak.
The DREADED ultrasonic cleaner? Well as long as it's only cleaning chemical and not any kind of abrasive then no problem!

Of course you have to be careful with an Opal to not knock it too hard against something or it will indeed crack - just like any stone can. But the cutting process is going to reveal any flaws in the stone to a cutter due to the wheels helping to accelerate any crazing or cracking issues. When that happens it's a lost cause as even when you cut out the cracks, they end up coming back eventually so the rough Opal pretty much gets trashed immediately (sooo many good looking rough pieces that I've lost to this ;(). Lightning Ridge and Andamooka Opal seems to have a lot less issues with this, which is why you don't see a lot of Coober Pedy Opal in my inventory.

While this is my experience, I've spoken with a few other Opal Cutters including Justin @ BOD and we are all in agreement that Aussie Opal can withstand all of that with no problems.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
No idea how to set it but wow that's incredible! Can't wait to see what you do w it!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely, dreamy opal! If it were me, I’d do a bracelet with split metal which starts at the cuff ends and widens as it gets closer to the opal. Since you love rings, and can wear big rings, I would consider doing that...but I also guess that you’d enjoy looking at it on your wrist too. (or, you could make it a pendant on a long chain, so that you could marvel at it while wearing.)
I can see the bracelet though, maybe gold around the stone and silver for the bracelet part. I personally don’t think it needs much adornment because it is a world in itself. Also, the size is strong enough to stand on its own. However, it does need a good visual frame. This could be done with a wonderful metal job, such as many fine prongs, or simplified gold leaves around it, a great, truly framing bezel, or perhaps a fine halo of little stones.
Overall, my personal direction would be one of clean elegance, getting to the purest, most essential lines without unnecessary extras. I see an airiness about it which is dreamy.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would do a bracelet or pendant, though I am also a ring girl!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Im loving all of the input everyone!
Sadly to crush a few of your gorgeous ideas- I didn't include a bracelet/cuff option because I just dont wear them. I dont wear them because something on my wrist feels uncomfortable and weird & Ive never really gotten over that so besides a few leather & Tahitian adjustable bracelets I never wear anything on my wrists!

& As far as rings I take off ALL rings when I wash my hands or put lotion on. Its to the point of OCD that I treat my rings. I'm always lambasting my mother and friends for wearing their rings in the shower or cleaning with them on!
So an opal ring has a good probability of being very safe with me! Also this opal is old stock- purchased from a woman who took a trip to Australia tens of years ago and bought a bunch- holding onto them until her partner died.

I'm leaning towards a pendant but It would be amazing to have a ring this size!

I'm tempted to make it larger by halo-ing it with CS that match the color play of it! Like a ballerina halo (forget what theyre called) with red, green, blue, purple- and starting over in that pattern all around the stone! Im thinking sapphires, rubies, & emeralds in these colors!

That or I create a sleek pendant where the cab is bezeled with miligrain and has an articulated bail that has a corresponding gem set in it- and an articulation on the bottom of the opal where another stone dangles!

Ill have to draw these so everyone can see what Im talking about!
But you get the vibe, I want fun, I want larger than life- full of color!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Could I please take a minute to debunk some of this?

While these are all things you need to be concerned about with Welo Opal, they are not issues with Australian Opal.
Water doesn't affect Aussie Opal, I use it for the entire cutting and polishing process and all of my Opals are unaffected by the water itself.
High proof alcohol? No worries, I use it to clean the dopping wax when I'm finished with a stone
Most commercial grade acids? Yep, no worries. It's still unaffected after a soak.
The DREADED ultrasonic cleaner? Well as long as it's only cleaning chemical and not any kind of abrasive then no problem!

Of course you have to be careful with an Opal to not knock it too hard against something or it will indeed crack - just like any stone can. But the cutting process is going to reveal any flaws in the stone to a cutter due to the wheels helping to accelerate any crazing or cracking issues. When that happens it's a lost cause as even when you cut out the cracks, they end up coming back eventually so the rough Opal pretty much gets trashed immediately (sooo many good looking rough pieces that I've lost to this ;(). Lightning Ridge and Andamooka Opal seems to have a lot less issues with this, which is why you don't see a lot of Coober Pedy Opal in my inventory.

While this is my experience, I've spoken with a few other Opal Cutters including Justin @ BOD and we are all in agreement that Aussie Opal can withstand all of that with no problems.

Thank you Jordyon for that lovely explanation on the durability of opals! Sometimes I wonder if the old old stigma- well, superstition that opals brought bad luck morphed into the adage that opals were extremely fragile. Either way, opals are incredibly special & are so beautiful that I can understand how fantastical stories about them started as they truly do look like tears from a rainbow.

What do you think I should do with this big mama?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Lovely, dreamy opal! If it were me, I’d do a bracelet with split metal which starts at the cuff ends and widens as it gets closer to the opal. Since you love rings, and can wear big rings, I would consider doing that...but I also guess that you’d enjoy looking at it on your wrist too. (or, you could make it a pendant on a long chain, so that you could marvel at it while wearing.)
I can see the bracelet though, maybe gold around the stone and silver for the bracelet part. I personally don’t think it needs much adornment because it is a world in itself. Also, the size is strong enough to stand on its own. However, it does need a good visual frame. This could be done with a wonderful metal job, such as many fine prongs, or simplified gold leaves around it, a great, truly framing bezel, or perhaps a fine halo of little stones.
Overall, my personal direction would be one of clean elegance, getting to the purest, most essential lines without unnecessary extras. I see an airiness about it which is dreamy.

You have so many stunningly large cabochon pieces that I almost wanna mail you this opal with my money and let you go crazy!

I also must admit that I thought of you when I saw this opal and was debating its purchase. I thought WWBGD? I pictured you purchasing it and a little clear gem case frame to have it sit up at your desk and marvel it or set it in a pendant!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
We can be opal sisters if you do a pendant!
I just went with a 22ct gold bezel as the opal is “reversible” like your. 3377D23F-E839-4BE9-9A8B-EB4E8BA48F3C.jpeg

Opal sisters ❤

I didnt even think of it but theres always that beautiful idea- A simple sturdy frame that allows the opal to touch the skin and lets the stone do all of the talking. Its much more wearable as well!

I do have a question for you though: Honestly, how often do you ever wear this pendant?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first vote would go to a cuff bangle due to its size, and could find many inspiration pics using "Turquoise cuff bangle" as search words on Google.

My second vote would be a pendant.

Much as I like the idea of a centre piece for a multi-strand pearls, it would be very costly to make, and probably would not get much wear compared with a cuff bangle as already mentioned by the others.

Have fun with it.

DK :))

voce

Ideal_Rock
I just so so love this necklace you found online and posted from your other thread. Can you imagine? Your opal E-W as the centerpiece, and the vine leaves wrapped around the opal as a "halo" around your huge pendant.
1592252328811.png
:Up_to_something:If money were no object, you know you wanna do it!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opal sisters ❤

I didnt even think of it but theres always that beautiful idea- A simple sturdy frame that allows the opal to touch the skin and lets the stone do all of the talking. Its much more wearable as well!

I do have a question for you though: Honestly, how often do you ever wear this pendant?

I wear it quite often, I love it soooo much. Strangers will approach me and say “OMG that’s stunning”.
I wear it a few ways. I have a hard gold wire choker (gold filled, couldn’t find a solid gold one) a thick gold belcher link chain and I’ve even worn it or a black velvet ribbon with a black dress to a formal event.
I do have opal rings as well, I wear them with much more care and concern. Opals don’t appreciate being accidentally “whacked” or “clunked” against hard surfaces.
The only downside with a pendant is that you yourself need a mirror to be able to see it.
If I had my time over I would probably set a series of 2mm coloured gems into the bezel surround ie in blue, green, yellow, red and purple at the top and at the bottom.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The items for sale at the latest Bonhams opal auction might provide some inspiration LINK

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you Jordyon for that lovely explanation on the durability of opals! Sometimes I wonder if the old old stigma- well, superstition that opals brought bad luck morphed into the adage that opals were extremely fragile. Either way, opals are incredibly special & are so beautiful that I can understand how fantastical stories about them started as they truly do look like tears from a rainbow.

What do you think I should do with this big mama?

I'm pretty sure De Beers came up with the superstition so people would keep buying diamonds :lol:
I've got hundreds of them in my safe and nothing bad has happened to me yet so I don't give that too much thought. Fishing superstitions are different though and are demonstrably true :lol-2: :lol-2:

The weight alone makes me lean towards pendant as that is nearly a quarter of an ounce of Opal and quite heavy, if you have fingers like mine and can virtually crush bones and rock then I guess you might be OK otherwise I would think the combined weight of stone and ring will make your finger and hand feel immobile and fatigued. But as a more general answer to what I would do; it really depends on who I want seeing the Opal. If it were just the wearer then a ring is the way I would lean, however a pendant will catch people's eyes more and draw their gaze as the Opal shifts and changes colour as you move or they move. Just don't be too disappointed when your conversations with people become suddenly distant and disconnected when they realise that big Opal keeps flashing colour at them and can't stop looking :mrgreen:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This would make a stunning pendant and versatile enough for lots of wear...on a longer chain over sweaters...or dressed up on a shorter chain. Killer find!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I'm pretty sure De Beers came up with the superstition so people would keep buying diamonds :lol:
I've got hundreds of them in my safe and nothing bad has happened to me yet so I don't give that too much thought. Fishing superstitions are different though and are demonstrably true :lol-2: :lol-2:

The weight alone makes me lean towards pendant as that is nearly a quarter of an ounce of Opal and quite heavy, if you have fingers like mine and can virtually crush bones and rock then I guess you might be OK otherwise I would think the combined weight of stone and ring will make your finger and hand feel immobile and fatigued. But as a more general answer to what I would do; it really depends on who I want seeing the Opal. If it were just the wearer then a ring is the way I would lean, however a pendant will catch people's eyes more and draw their gaze as the Opal shifts and changes colour as you move or they move. Just don't be too disappointed when your conversations with people become suddenly distant and disconnected when they realise that big Opal keeps flashing colour at them and can't stop looking :mrgreen:

If anything I feel as though opals are lucky! Although they may drive their owners mad, especially if stared at for long enough. Ive met a few opal dealers that were a bit out there- but hey I'm weird too so its really the pot calling the kettle black :P2

& I know Im in the minority here but I truly enjoy the weight of heavy pieces.
Ive shared this before in my small purchases thread, ironically.

I own a few sterling rings that must weigh twice as much as this opal would if it were set into a ring. So weight isnt a problem! I also have really large hands for a woman, albeit thinner fingers; so this cab doesnt look as impressive as it would on someone more petit. I'm what others call freakishly tall in real life so it works! Big gal; big cab!

I'm kinda now leaning towards creating a wacky large opal ring!!! Especially because I truly only wear jewelry for me, and me alone and itd be a shame not to be able to see this guy while wearing him!
Eeeep but im not certain!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
My first idea/design :evil2:

I'm in this designing phase for the long haul as it will be at least 2 months until I get started on it.
But.....I remembered a piece by cjd_sako that involved a smaller black opal cab and a multi-colored halo & it has stuck with me since.

I'd love love to create the lighter, larger cousin with my Coober and 2mm rounds of emerald, pink beryl, and blue sapphire. I'm not sure what the band would look like but im thinking something antique inspired- split shank to support the weight/size of the ring.

I did a quick drawing to illustrate the design. Its pretty simple but would give a huge impression on the hand & would be my one special/fun ring that I wear on occasion and mainly take out often to oogle.

This design can Also be altered for a pendant!

Oh. My. Gosh. I just got the most wonderful idea.......

What if I did this CS halo and created a simple bail for a pendant that could be tucked under and then the piece could be fashioned to a custom made ring shank to turn into a ring- meaning a convertible piece!

I love this idea although Im not sure how much something like that would cost. If anyone has a convertible piece itd be lovely if you attached photos of the back/attachments so I could get some ideas on how itd transfer to this opal design!

Attachments

• IMG_20200615_205533~2.jpg
    IMG_20200615_205533~2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_2020-06-15-21-05-51~2.png
    Screenshot_2020-06-15-21-05-51~2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a very similar piece from the Bonhams auction. Some how it seems out of balance, maybe the inner bezel is too thick?

Bonhams.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But.....I remembered a piece by cjd_sako that involved a smaller black opal cab and a multi-colored halo & it has stuck with me since.

Yes Yes Yes!
I think I remember you mentioning this before?
So it is written, let it be done!
:lol:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is crazy but is there any way to make a pendant jacket? So take the opal and bezel it for a pendant but get jackets to change it up. :shock:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results