shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do....size matters

icehitter

Rough_Rock
I need help from the pros. I wanted to buy my wife a nice solitaire for our 9yr anniversary and then together spend the next year designing a custom setting for our 10yr anniversary.

She keeps saying she wants a cushion but the problem is she wants something big. Close to 2 carats (her ring size is a 7 so she said it has to be big). We have 3 kids under 3 and my budget is NOT for a 2 carat cushion. I'm looking to spend $7-9k for the diamond. What is the biggest (in her words big and sparkling) diamond I can get for that budget? She mentioned just getting a CE stone and I nixed that immediately but I need help here on finding something that looks great and will give her the size she wants.

After doing a little reading on here I'm wondering if I can get something that looks bigger by going with a round. I know she wants a halo and I've seen the rounds in a cushion halo. Could getting a round that is less "round" be a good thing?

Is something over 7mmx7mm even possible in my budget?

Any diamonds you guys could recommend would be great.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
Another option as I'm reading would be an oval. Would it face up bigger?
I'm thinking I'm going to have to increase the budget a bit. A couple yrs ago I planned to spend 10-12k on just the stone but 2 more kids later and I was hoping to keeping it closer to 8k.

I just know I can't keep pushing this off and our anniversary is in 2 months so I need to pull the trigger.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
One more thing I forgot to mention. While a cushion is her dream, she has mentioned multiple times she wants a rectangular or elongated one.

Q

Queenie60

I would recommend that you save more money and wait until the 10 year anniversary. Sounds as though she has her heart set on a 2 carat stone - and may not be satisfied with anything less. Only the two of you can decide what's best - and I hope that she realizes your financial situation and is able to set the priorities accordingly. Good luck and I hope you are able to find what you're looking for. :wavey:

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
would she be opposed to a warmer stone? like a I/J/K? The warmer the color, the more size you can get.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
I don't think she cares what the actual carat weight is as long as it faces up and looks big. My cousins wife has a 2 carat Princess cut and she loved the size of that but she likes a more elongated look. Can I get anything that peforms good and faces up bigger than 7mmx7mm (isn't that the appox size of a 2 carat princess?) for under 10k?

icehitter

Rough_Rock
No, we have only gone to look at stones a couple of times and each time she has gravitated towards the H/I stones. We were shown one K and she didn't like it bc it looked too yellow. When she was shown an E it was too white.

I can flat out ask her but she is not expecting a ring for our anniversary this year and I want to make it happen without her knowledge. We are weeks away from finalizing our 2nd adoption and she is home with our kids all day everyday and I want to make it special for her. We have discussed a ring for our 10yr. The best surprise I can think of would be to both surprise her with a solitaire but let her customize a setting to be complete by our 10yr next Oct.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So i wouldn't go with another stone shape. Get her exactly the shape she wants!

Just browsing, i think you could probably find an I colored stone close to or right at 7mm. The hardest part is finding a decent cushion in the size you want. There are a lot of AWFUL cushions out there and it takes someone knowledgeable to find one. Gypsy is great at finding some amazing cushions, i'll let her chime in. If your anniversary is in Oct then you have some time to be choosy about picking the perfect stone.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully Gypsy can chime in as she is the master at finding great cushions.

Do you know what type of cushion she likes? There are SO many.

Also, it really does sound like she wants something with size which I completely get. If you can't find something that fits your budget now, I would really consider waiting and saving a bit more. Don't rush such a big purchase. If I had my heart set on a certain size, I would rather wait than be surprised early with something smaller. Even if you surprise her at Christmas time or Valentines and then allow her to choose the setting next anniversary that would be pretty spectacular.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does she feel about pears or emerald cuts?

icehitter

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input. I will start looking through her pinterest stuff and do more reading. Like I said, I don't think it has to be 2 carats as she would never go around saying it is 2 carats. She has been wearing a band with no complaints. She just said wanted 2 carats bc she saw how big the 2 carat princess cut looked. I don't think she honestly has a clue how big a 2 carat cushion faces up compared to a 2 carat princess.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
PintoBean|1469722350|4060220 said:
How does she feel about pears or emerald cuts?
When we looked at rings once she loved the pear in a halo but the jeweler quickly told her those were too old of a style so she moved on (that said the guy was pushing a 1.3k Henri Dassi stone on us so really didn't let her steer far from that).

Whatever we get is going in a halo bc she loves that setting.

Eta...we have never looked at an emerald cut and I've never heard her mention it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Did she say anything about a double halo, a la the Tiffany Soleste? If we're talking BIG, that'd be a way to get there.

http://www.tiffany.com/engagement/rings/tiffany-soleste (Just an example, you'd be recreating).

Also, is the princess diamond that she likes the size of also in a halo? Because if it's just a solitaire, you can get to that size in a halo in your budget very easily.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she will take an "I" color you might be able to get close...

this has some feathers so you would have to as JA if the diamond is structurally durable.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.70-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-sku-1905772

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/checkout?payment_method=wire#diamond=60878686Z

I'm mostly just finding square ones.

Edit...look at the size(H/W) and not so much the carat weight
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.50-platinum_select_modern-I-GIA-H-SI1-diamond-stock-14079-cert-5157614229

icehitter

Rough_Rock
Yes, my cousin's wife has hers in a halo. She tells everyone about it being 3+carats. My wife finds it obnoxious that she tells everyone but said she loves it bc it is so big and sparkly. She feels like bc her fingers are big that a small diamond will look ridiculous. I want her to have what she wants bc she isn't flashy at all. Doesn't wear any other jewelry and deserves something nice but honestly I could show up with whatever and she would appreciate it.

When we talk about getting her a ring, quickly after saying she wants a big rock she follows it with something about that not matching her spit up stained clothes, lol. I think she will suffer through having a nice ring just fine.

I'm doing a quick search of her pinterest and she has lots of cushions and pears pinned. Maybe I should schedule a date night to look at pears. I hadn't considered them.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
icehitter|1469724734|4060238 said:
Yes, my cousin's wife has hers in a halo. She tells everyone about it being 3+carats. My wife finds it obnoxious that she tells everyone but said she loves it bc it is so big and sparkly. She feels like bc her fingers are big that a small diamond will look ridiculous. I want her to have what she wants bc she isn't flashy at all. Doesn't wear any other jewelry and deserves something nice but honestly I could show up with whatever and she would appreciate it.

When we talk about getting her a ring, quickly after saying she wants a big rock she follows it with something about that not matching her spit up stained clothes, lol. I think she will suffer through having a nice ring just fine.

I'm doing a quick search of her pinterest and she has lots of cushions and pears pinned. Maybe I should schedule a date night to look at pears. I hadn't considered them.

I would look at pears. The jeweler that told her they were out of style is sooooo wrong. Pears are very popular right now. They also offer a lot of finger coverage, especially with a halo.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
I think I will start bringing up rings again to get a better feel as well as take her to look at some pears.

Can anyone tell me what is most important in looking for a pear?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would start a thread asking for suggestions of well-cut pears in the carat range you are looking for. Gypsy and the cut experts here will be able to find you some stones!

icehitter

Rough_Rock
Here is a quick shot of her pinterest
20160728_133611.png

icehitter

Rough_Rock
soxfan|1469727042|4060252 said:
I would start a thread asking for suggestions of well-cut pears in the carat range you are looking for. Gypsy and the cut experts here will be able to find you some stones!
Ok thank you!

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
+1 on searching for pears - this cut faces up much bigger than cushions (or emerald cuts, for that matter) and super popular right now. Same with ovals which are probably - as far as I can tell from my diligent instagram trolling and group of friends - the hottest cut on the East Coast right now amongst millenials.

I'm also going to throw in the possibility of a marquise cut. Like pears, marquises have very impressive spread, are elongated and GORGEOUS :love: :love: But with a halo a 2 carat marquise will be MASSIVE especially compared to your cousin's wife, whose 2 carat princess will look puny in comparison (princess cuts face-up small) :Up_to_something:

icehitter

Rough_Rock
Fulvia|1469727633|4060256 said:
+1 on searching for pears - this cut faces up much bigger than cushions (or emerald cuts, for that matter) and super popular right now. Same with ovals which are probably - as far as I can tell from my diligent instagram trolling and group of friends - the hottest cut on the East Coast right now amongst millenials.

I'm also going to throw in the possibility of a marquise cut. Like pears, marquises have very impressive spread, are elongated and GORGEOUS :love: :love: But with a halo a 2 carat marquise will be MASSIVE especially compared to your cousin's wife, whose 2 carat princess will look puny in comparison (princess cuts face-up small) :Up_to_something:
I know marquises is out bc she has mentioned that she hates them, lol. I also know that the reason she doesn't love rounds or princess cut is bc that's what everyone she knows has and she doesn't want something common.
I'm starting to feel like pear is the way to go bc that is something we never see around here.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i totally agree, pear is the way to go! They're gaining popularity and i think a pear in a halo is absolutely gorgeous.

So i did a little comparison on a couple of 1.7ct stones, a cushion and a pear. These are actual stone measurements, the cushion is the one tyty linked from JA and the other a random pear i chose off of JA just for the measurements, it's a 1.49 ratio, not too chubby and not too elongated.

pearcushioncompare_1.jpg

Like cushions, pears are not chosen based off of the stats like a round. You'll need help choosing one so i'd def start a new thread asking for help on a pear shape.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree that a pear in a halo would make for a really beautiful sparkly ring with presence. I second the idea of starting a new thread for help with finding a nice pear. Fun!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Icehitter :)

Take a look at this... It's an antique cut pear - 1.31ct, nice color - G, nice clarity - SI1 - but the size, oh the size! - 8.8mm x 6.3mm

I've had my eye on this myself since it hit grace's site, but decided to go in a different direction. Definitely worth a look. JBEG could also do a killer halo setting for this. In a halo, the specs would probably be in the vicinity of 11mm+ x 9mm. That's a good big ring!

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-31ct-antique-pear-shape-diamond-gia-g-si1#.V5pSylL0i-I

ETA It's also at the bottom of your budget - allowing for a terrific setting!

icehitter

Rough_Rock
farrahlyn|1469729805|4060266 said:
i totally agree, pear is the way to go! They're gaining popularity and i think a pear in a halo is absolutely gorgeous.

So i did a little comparison on a couple of 1.7ct stones, a cushion and a pear. These are actual stone measurements, the cushion is the one tyty linked from JA and the other a random pear i chose off of JA just for the measurements, it's a 1.49 ratio, not too chubby and not too elongated.

pearcushioncompare_1.jpg

Like cushions, pears are not chosen based off of the stats like a round. You'll need help choosing one so i'd def start a new thread asking for help on a pear shape.

Wow that'sa big difference! I'm going to drop a few hints this weekend and make sure she likes a pear. I'd love to do this with her having no idea! I'll make a new post early next week after I get some more thoughts from her.
Thanks again!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote here for a pear, I find them to be different and artistic.

Didn't care one bit in July 1996 whether pears were popular or not when we found my pear (8 x 13 mm) locally.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
icehitter -

Just making sure you saw the gorgeous pear I linked to above.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
mrs-blop|1469739783|4060323 said:
icehitter -

Icehitter - BUY THIS PEAR! It's an awesome find (brava Mrs Blop) - beautiful, unique stone at a SUPER affordable price point!

icehitter

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1469739783|4060323 said:
icehitter -

I missed it earlier but just checked it out and it looks great. I really have no idea what specs I'm supposed to be looking for.

It worked great tonight as the wife and I had training (we are foster/adoptive parents) so we left about an hour early and stopped in Jareds (I know not to buy from there thanks to reading here) to look around. I told her if we still wanted to do a ring next year she needs to see what she likes. I had her look at some different cuts and asked the woman to show us 1.5-2 carat cushions and my wife thought they looked so small. I asked her to show us some other cuts that faced up large and she pulled a pear and started to pull a marquise. My wife told her not to bother with that but she liked the pear a lot. The only problem was they only had a 1 carat and she thought it was tiny. The woman said well I have a 2 carat CZ I can show you for size and my wife liked that much better.
So now I know she loved the pear but I'm going to have to either have a miracle worker find something big for a great price or increase the budget and not buy it quite yet.

I started the new thread so I'm crossing my finger for a miracle!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results