shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do if a vendor privately solicited your business through your involvement on this sit

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, there is a reason I am asking.

But no, I''m not going to disclose it right now.

But I am interested in hearing what you all would do if it happened.

I will say that I feel slightly violated.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,

Sorry to hear.

The devil''s in the details, I guess.

I think PMs were dumped for this reason.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
depends on the content and when and why it was sent and most important the past relationship.
A general hey buy from me they would get an earful no matter what.
An email from a vendor that saw I was working on a project that I had a past relationship with sending me an email saying something like: Hi, I saw your thread. have you considered this? (link to something that was close to what I'm looking for)
I would be ok with.
The first is solicitation of business the second I would see as being helpful.

It is a very thin line that honestly I would recommend a vendor not walk in the first place.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first Storm. Straight solicitation.

I would have reacted differently to the second. But also, the vendors I have relationships with... wouldn't do even that. They know that if and when I am ready, I know they are there. And if I don't contact them, there is a reason... whatever that might be at the time.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 7:33:47 PM
Author: Gypsy
I would tell them off and consider reporting it to Andrey.
If I found out that others received similar emails then it would be reported.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I would be offended, Gypsy. I don''t come here to be solicited and I wouldn''t like it one bit...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 7:39:08 PM
Author: strmrdr

That''s what I was going to suggest, only I would do it, not just consider it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 7:40:17 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/23/2009 7:39:08 PM
Author: strmrdr

That''s what I was going to suggest, only I would do it, not just consider it.
I''m with Ellen. That''s not cool. Period.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Since you feel "slightly violated" by it, I'm guessing it was an offer of their product at a "special price" in return for verbal promotion of any product from their jewellery line? If so, I'd be very angry and fire off a letter telling them exactly what I thought of their way of doing business.

If, on the other hand, it was an offer of employment with their company offering more $$$ than your current job (which you've indicated is not one of your favourite lines of work), I'd be thrilled.

It's hard to answer a question like that without more info.
33.gif

Edited to say: My reply was based on only the question you posed. I hadn't read the other comments. Bad timing on my part.

However, having read what the others said, I'm with them. Report the jeweller's conduct to Andrey/Ali..

Yekutiel

Shiny_Rock
That’s sounds horrible; Rules are rules and if you feel violated and bothered you should confront them and if that doesn’t help, report them.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
They KNOW they are not supposed to do that. I''d report them immediately and I would expect them to be banned, PERIOD, no exceptions.

Tacky, tacky, tacky
38.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock

I would have reacted differently to the second. But also, the vendors I have relationships with... wouldn''t do even that. They know that if and when I am ready, I know they are there. And if I don''t contact them, there is a reason... whatever that might be at the time.

I''d swiftly report this to the PS Admin. As described, it''s an egregious violation of the PS rules, and Ira is correct that similar instances contributed to PMs going away.

In premise, a vendor shouldn''t have a way to contact a PSer privately since emails, etc. aren''t allowed. I''m not clear on how he''d come by the needed information to do so, but it''s out of bounds either way.

This is supposed to be a site where consumers can get information without feeling like prey. What you''ve described goes against that purpose.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would wonder how they managed to get your email, actually. As far as I know, it isn''t on your public profile.

And, yeah, I wouldn''t like it either. Report them.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 8:19:01 PM
Author: Allison D.

I would have reacted differently to the second. But also, the vendors I have relationships with... wouldn''t do even that. They know that if and when I am ready, I know they are there. And if I don''t contact them, there is a reason... whatever that might be at the time.

I''d swiftly report this to the PS Admin. As described, it''s an egregious violation of the PS rules, and Ira is correct that similar instances contributed to PMs going away.

In premise, a vendor shouldn''t have a way to contact a PSer privately since emails, etc. aren''t allowed. I''m not clear on how he''d come by the needed information to do so, but it''s out of bounds either way.

This is supposed to be a site where consumers can get information without feeling like prey. What you''ve described goes against that purpose.
Gypsy, let me go out on a limb here and guess this vendor got your information because of your participation on another site, and not Pricescope.

If that is the case, both you and vendor have gone outside of the realm of pricescope by your own will, and it''s the wild wild west out there. That has nothing to do with Pricescope...Andrey and Ali can only do so much and people constantly bend the rules here and get away with it before it can be moderated.

If you don''t post your private information on pricescope (because that is against the rules), then there is no way a vendor can contact you unless another vendor you''ve done business with gave your info away.

So if it''s the scenario I guessed, I''d say it''s a can of worms and everyone who communicates outside of pricescope has to realize they opened it.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to strm's points but my main question would be how the hell did they get my contact details??????

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Does PM stand for private/personal mail/message or something of that nature?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know any background on this, how they got your personal info etc., but it would bother me to the point that I would probably not do business with them at all.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 8:28:48 PM
Author: silverbuggy
private message

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 8:28:48 PM
Author: silverbuggy
Yes and they don''t exist here. Thank goodness.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Regardless of how they got Gypsy's email addy (possibly through another website), if they contacted her about a post made here on Pricescope, then they have violated PS policy and should be banned.

My email addy is available all over the net, yet I don't expect to receive an email from a vendor about anything I've posted here.

We have an expectation that we will not be contacted. All contact should come from customers, to vendors.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 8:41:04 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Regardless of how they got Gypsy''s email addy (possibly through another website), if they contacted her about a post made here on Pricescope, then they have violated PS policy and should be banned.

My email addy is available all over the net, yet I don''t expect to receive an email from a vendor about anything I''ve posted here.

David recently contacted a PS poster after ''guessing'' who she was based on a post she made in a thread on PS, and apparently he offered to make some adjustment. Technically not cool. He should have posted in the thread ''any customers of mine who have issues with me are encouraged to contact ME (not him contacting them) so I can make things right''.

We have an expectation that we will not be contacted. All contact should come from customers, to vendors.
Agreed.

But if it was not, I say fair game.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 8:41:04 PM
Regardless of how they got Gypsy's email addy (possibly through another website), if they contacted her about a post made here on Pricescope, then they have violated PS policy and should be banned.

My email addy is available all over the net, yet I don't expect to receive an email from a vendor about anything I've posted here.

David recently contacted a PS poster after 'guessing' who she was based on a post she made in a thread on PS, and apparently he offered to make some adjustment. Technically not cool. He should have posted in the thread 'any customers of mine who have issues with me are encouraged to contact ME (not him contacting them) so I can make things right'.

That should have been reported to Andrey. But I hear you PP, and agree 100%. That's breaking all the rules. I think anyone that gets this sort of thing, should just foward it to Andrey. He'll take care of it for sure.
2.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It should be reported IMO...

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry you had a bad experience

The obvious solution (as others have posted) is to have reported it to the moderators...that is pretty much a no brainer...

They can investigate it from there...and dole out punishment as warranted...

Have you done it yet ??

To be honest I can''t quite grasp the purpose of this thread other than your venting...

And I suspect if others have been contacted they would have reported it immediatly

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 8:54:10 PM
Author: diane5006

The obvious solution (as others have posted) is to have reported it to the moderators...that is pretty much a no brainer...

Have you done it yet ??

To be honest I can''t quite grasp the purpose of this thread other than your venting...

And I suspect if others have been contacted they would have reported it immediatly
I don''t see this as her venting at all. I see it as asking what would you do, what would you think, etc... That''s what we are here for no??
34.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really can''t understand it because the only PS vendors who''d have my email address are ones that I have contacted. So once I have provided that information, I''m not sure I''d consider it a problem if one of them emailed me. In fact, I do get sale ads from time to time from various vendors who have mailing lists. So in your case, Gypsy, there is something unclear to me...as in, where did they get your email address?

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
If you report it, it may happen again.
What's a PS vendor going to get from PS, a slap on the wrist?

PS vendors pay to be here.
PS is not going to bite the hand that feeds them, well not very hard anyway.

If you post the name of the vendor here it will NEVER happen again.

Vendors hate bad publicity, even if it is just reporting the truth of their actions.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 9:18:43 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Have you done it yet ??

I don''t see this as her venting at all. I see it as asking what would you do, what would you think, etc... That''s what we are here for no??
34.gif
Ditto, and isn''t venting allowed on this forum anyway? Hee.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 9:18:43 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Have you done it yet ??

34.gif
Ditto Kaleigh.

If Gypsy wanted to vent, she would have posted "so and so contacted me to solicit business, that is NOT cool, just wanted to call them out!" She wouldn''t have bothered to keep said vendor anonymous, and ask for honest feedback. I didn''t read it as a vent at all.

35.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 8:26:29 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Gypsy, let me go out on a limb here and guess this vendor got your information because of your participation on another site, and not Pricescope.

If that is the case, both you and vendor have gone outside of the realm of pricescope by your own will, and it''s the wild wild west out there. That has nothing to do with Pricescope...Andrey and Ali can only do so much and people constantly bend the rules here and get away with it before it can be moderated.

If you don''t post your private information on pricescope (because that is against the rules), then there is no way a vendor can contact you unless another vendor you''ve done business with gave your info away.

So if it''s the scenario I guessed, I''d say it''s a can of worms and everyone who communicates outside of pricescope has to realize they opened it.
That never occurred to me, but it makes sense and I''m sure you''re right. If so, I agree with Tgal''s point.....PS can only dictate the behavior within their own playground. When two parties cross through other places, the lines get a bit murky. Then, it would have to be established that someone is using PS as their source for gathering contacts and then trying to find them through alternate venues.

Date: 2/23/200 8:41:04 PM

Regardless of how they got Gypsy''s email addy (possibly through another website), if they contacted her about a post made here on Pricescope, then they have violated PS policy and should be banned.

My email addy is available all over the net, yet I don''t expect to receive an email from a vendor about anything I''ve posted here.

David recently contacted a PS poster after "guessing" who she was based on a post she made in a thread on PS, and apparently he offered to make some adjustment. Technically not cool. He should have posted in the thread "any customers of mine who have issues with me are encouraged to contact ME (not him contacting them) so I can make things right".

But wasn''t that a past client? If so, I think that''s not quite the same thing as contacting someone you''ve not had any prior interaction with.

I''m reading Gypsy''s example as being contacted by someone you''ve never initiated contact with before.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results