shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you ask Fred Cuellar?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Help! I need three good Qs in two days...

There are 98 posts containig his name on PS, none quite fresh. So, what
would you ask?​

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
May I ask why you need the questions?

(Sorry, I can't contribute any because I don't really know enough about him. I just have this vague notion that he's a highly controversial figure in the diamond industry and maybe something about fraud?!?!)

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Fred, why not come on over to Pricescope and tell us about yourself?
2.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Why don't you ask him what he did with the 'we forget how many millions' of dollars that he 'allegedly' embezzled from one of his investors? Where was that article? New York Diamonds Magazine a few years ago? We asked him that question a few years ago on the telephone and he had quite the answer
9.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
1. Who are you and why do I keep seeing your name here and at DT?
2. Is it true that you are a very bad man?
3. Why did you go to jail?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why do you tell consumers that competitors diamonds are 'warped' when you know adding crown height, girdle thickness and pavilion depth should always be 1.5% to 2% less than the total depth of a diamond?

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
I'd ask:

Why does his “secret wholesale pricing guide” (in his book), seem more like a fair retail price than a wholesale price? (He lists a 1.0 carat, VS2, H at $8111.)

If he has any comments on GOG’s explanation of his “warping” theory?

When he refers you to a jeweller or an appraiser… does he get a kick back?

Are some of his guidelines for evaluating a jeweller or a diamond impossible to pass so you call him and he can refer to a buddy-jeweller?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd ask...

What's up with the smarmy looking picture on your book and website?

11.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all for the sugestions, and for the technical assistance, Derek.

Sumi, I asked for help because I am going to ask Fred three questions and I wanted to get some extra inspiration to begin with. Since I have not read his book yet I hoped others who did would contribute some insight, which, as you can se, indeed happened.

I have no reason to hate or like DCI, just curious.

PS: Mara, you got it girl!
11.gif
But if that "immage" works for the company... I guess one has to accept all sorts of self sacrifice for running a business.
cry.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I would ask him for my money back on his book I bought - since it seems I am the only one who paid for it.
cry.gif
cry.gif

Ask him why no one should ever consider a stone w/ over 61 depth.

Ask him why stones that exhibit fluor are only for the commercial trade.

Ask him why *none* of his stones are warped when *plenty* of his competitors are.

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock
Hi, yeah and I think if you ask a question he'll actually have another website directing you to fill out your name, adress, etc etc so that he can send you his "How to Buy a Diamond Book." I believe that you may or may not also get a call from one of his associates at his company. I was very neutral about his associate and his company. I really can't say anything good or bad about him or DCI because I never bought a diamond from him or his diamond book. I just got the book for free because I had asked him a question a long time ago. I would imagine that anybody with a question would get selected for a free book to be mailed to you. I used that book with a grain of salt. I wouldn't say I would just go off everything he states as the way to purchase a diamond, but it is a useful tool for a lot of people to take the useful facts and separate them from his opinions.
read.gif
It breaks a lot of things down in layman terms sort to speak. I find out that it is unfortunate that he is involved in some type of controversy or fraud, but I don't know of any stories or have any to share. I think other posters could and have shed some light on that. Good luck with your questions.
wink2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you interviewing him for something Val?

I actually found Fred's site while researching stones, asked a Q about a setting and got sent the book. I read it all in a few days, and a few things jumped out at me as ODD....but of course I had learned at that point to take everything with a grain of salt, esp when the advisor sells stones.
2.gif
The rest was actually quite interesting.

That was the extent of my contact with him, however he is a 'trusted advisor' on areas like theknot.com and has written articles for bridal mags and websites, etc. Personally I just think that it's sad that someone who gives advice such as his (e.g. warped diamonds, bonded, etc) is considered so highly reputed by people who don't know any better, and he could be influencing unsuspecting buyers into thinking some odd things. Sure I guess getting the Freducation is better than none at all and buying from the local maul...but in reality there's so much more than he doesn't say and/or speaks incorrectly about.

Add in his criminal record and smarmy picture and hmmm.... nuff said?
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/22/2004 9:32:53 PM Richard Sherwood wrote:

'How do you sleep at night'?

----------------

heh heh.....

probable answer....."on a warped mattress"

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
oooo...good one, Rich!

win

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/22/2004 9:32:53 PM Richard Sherwood wrote:

'How do you sleep at night'?

----------------
I'm sure he sincerely believes that he provides valuable service to consumers.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/22/2004 12:55:03 PM Mara wrote:

Personally I just think that it's sad that someone who gives advice such as his (e.g. warped diamonds, bonded, etc) is considered so highly reputed by people who don't know any better, and he could be influencing unsuspecting buyers into thinking some odd things. ----------------

Well, I hope so.
The book is still somewhere in the mail, so I will not have time to prepare by reading it. This is why I asked for help.

Thanks alot!

konamonroe

Rough_Rock
I would ask him or his staff any questions you want. I recently purchased a diamond from them and it looks great. I was skeptical at first but I ask every question possible and checked out Fred and Ricks references. Everyone had positive remarks. And if you have any questions about his past experiences with the law just ask and he will tell you about it. I would say that Diamond Cutters International is easy to do business with and provide quality stones

Steve

konamonroe

Rough_Rock
no, I am not, I used this forum to gather information about DCI. Many of the posts about them raised some red flags for me but I did my research and found out the information that I needed. They sell diamonds to those who want them. I am not sure if I got the lowest price but I am happy

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
First of all, I started to read his book Diamonds for profit, in my fevered diamond frenzy. Note: I love to read, and do so voraciously, especially on this topic. I stopped reading his book in disgust. I learned nothing expect he believes price to be much more than they are, and has some seriously shady practices.

My favorite example was basically you inherit a diamond ring from your deceased grandmother and you want to sell it. You sister offers you $$$, but the stone has a dump value of 60% of whole sale price, so if she can't bump up that price to meet it, DON'T SELL IT! First of all, don't include family in a sale, why even use that as an example, unless he's probably done it? He's the kind of guy who would sell one of his diamonds even to his sister for a crazy profit. Who says his "dump value" is even accurate? So he'd suggest you stiff your sister and make an enemy, just to follow Fred? NO THANKS! He knows squat.

My favorite is that he himself proclaims that he is "the expert of buying diamonds", so he gives lessons how not to buy on the internet (scare tactic), so that you can believe he is the end-all-be-all of diamonds, and THAT alone should warrant his diamond prices at DCI. Yuck!
14.gif
That's BAAD business, if you need to scare people into buying your above market priced goods...
nono.gif

Just my two cents, thanks for letting me vent, now I can go and be productive...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results